Status: Active

Lady of the Black Dragon

The Lord and Lady Cimarron

“Awaken. They near.”

Brilyn sat up straight, and was awake for no more than two or three seconds before she heard the roar of a Dragon. Emyrus stood, and roared in return. Brilyn could not help but smile at his youth, and he noticed and straightened up, making himself look bigger.

“You will be a grand Dragon, one day.” Brilyn was startled to find herself speaking through their connection. Emyrus merely glanced back at her, a dragon-like smile on his face, and then turned his head to the skies.

Brilyn gasped. She had seen the Dragons before, but only as they flew high in the skies. As these came closer, they seemed to be blinding. “Are those Dragons gold?” she asked, shielding her eyes as she watched them come even closer. “That must be Lord and Lady Cimarron.”

“That it is. We need to get out of their way so they may land.”

Brilyn scooted back, to the edge of the trees. Emyrus walked with her, and they both watched as the Dragons came to a landing. The Lord and Lady climbed down from the backs of the dragons, which were nearly as tall as the trees surrounding them.

The Lady Cimarron came to Brilyn first. She stepped out of the woods, and curtsied. “My Lady,” she said, her face still bowed.

“Oh, nonsense. I am Shay, this is my husband, Kevin. We are all equals now, are we not? And you are?”

“My name is Brilyn Tierney. I just found his egg, my La-… Shay. I touched it before I knew what it was-”

Emyrus’s voice filled Brilyn’s mind, and she knew that he was talking to the other Dragons as well. “She was meant to find me.” Brilyn watched as the Dragons turned their heads towards Emyrus, and Kevin and Shay’s faces could only mean that the Dragons were relaying the information.

Brilyn turned to watch Emyrus step forth from the tree line. As he did, Shay dropped to her knees. “Oh, goodness,” Shay breathed. Her husband stood behind her, a hand on her shoulder. Emyrus walked to them and stood in front of them. Shay reached out and touched his side, and he spread his wings. “He is so large, for only being born yesterday.”

“He is a black Dragon,” Kevin said, leaning down beside Shay. “It is an honor to meet you,” he whispered. Emyrus bowed his head in reply.

“Is that unusual, though?” Brilyn stepped forward, uncomfortable with the way that they were eyeing her Dragon, with the shocked look on their faces. “People only ever fuss about gold Dragons.”

“People don’t fuss about black Dragons, Brilyn, because the last one died over a century ago. The last one before…”

“Emyrus," Brilyn finished, looking at her Dragon with new respect.

“We must get you two to King Richard. We only have a short time to prepare you before your meeting with him.”

“How are we going to get to the King?” But even as Brilyn asked the question, she knew the answer.

“You’re not afraid of heights, I suppose?” Kevin grinned at her, and Shay held out her hand.

“Climb on up,” Shay said. “Welcome to your first flight.”

Brilyn looked back towards Emyrus, but he was already climbing into the claws of Kevin’s Dragon.

“What are their names?” She asked, speaking of the Dragons.

“The one you ride is Basira. And this is Kismet.” Kevin patted his Dragon’s neck. “Well, off we go.”