Status: Active

Lady of the Black Dragon

The Feeling of Flying

With a few flaps of their immense wings, the Dragons were lifted above the trees. A few flaps more, and they were soaring, flying over the land that Brilyn had walked through so many times. She laughed as she saw the countryside rush by, squealed as the Dragons found and settled into their air currents.

“We’ll save the tricks for the next flight! Sometimes being this high up takes adjustment,” Shay shouted back at Brilyn.

“I could adjust to this!” Brilyn replied, then looked at Kismet holding Emyrus. “How are you doing?” she asked him, through their connection.

“I am where I belong. It will not be long before I can fly on my own. It will not be long before we can fly together. But it is good to be in the skies.”

Brilyn grinned. “It is good indeed.”

She continued to watch as they passed towns and villages, as they soared through the skies. Soon she could see the castle, sitting at the peak of a forefront mountain of the range.

“When we get there,” Shay shouted, over the rush of the wind, “Kevin and Kismet are going to feed Emyrus. We are going to get you ready to see the King. Kevin will bring Emyrus back with him.”

Brilyn felt a stab of terror at the thought of having to leave Emyrus, one that surprised her. She saw Emyrus turn towards her, as if he could feel her emotions – which, she conceded, he probably could. She merely shouted back an agreement, however, trusting that they would be careful with her young Dragon.

It was not much longer before they landed in a courtyard of the castle, a yard large enough to host three full-size Dragons, maybe even four. Shay climbed down from the back of Basira, and Brilyn followed suit. Kismet flew over the castle and out of her sight.

“The feeding grounds are on the south side of the castle. They will be back soon. Kismet had somebody catch something for Emyrus.”

“Thank you,” Brilyn said, watching as Basira took back to the skies, also going to the south side of the castle. “I didn’t think to feed him. He never said he was hungry.”

Shay smiled. “Believe me, if he had been hungry, you would know about it. Now, let’s have you cleaned up.”

She walked towards the edge of the courtyard, to a hallway, and then into the first door that they came to. A maid was busy adding wood to the fireplace, but she turned and curtsied as Shay walked in, saying a brisk “My Lady.”

“Gwen, could you please start a bath here for Brilyn? Find some clean clothes and fresh soap. And on your way, if you see another maid, we could use some more help as well.”

“Yes, my Lady.” She ducked her head as she left, and Shay turned towards another room of her chambers.

“I’m afraid that the only dress I have that may fit you is rather simple,” Shay said.

“That’s quite alright. I could wear this,” Brilyn said.

“You would wear regular breeches to the Court? Dragon Ladies are barely allowed to wear riding pants to the Court. And you must wear something clean, nonetheless. It is no issue, I haven’t been able to fit into this dress for ages.”

She emerged again holding a blue and white dress. It was simple, as she said, but the cloth was nicer than anything Brilyn had worn before. She realized, though, that Shay was probably more stubborn than even she was, and she was not content with the idea of wearing her current apparel to the Court anyways.

“We don’t have time to wash and dry your hair, but we can start brushing it out now, and put it up.” She handed Brilyn a brush and then looked at her feet. “With some thick socks, we can probably make a pair of my slippers work for you as well.”

Brilyn only nodded and tried not to grimace as she worked at her hair. She couldn’t remember the last time she had had a brush, and combing it through with her fingers each day probably hadn’t helped much.

“Tomorrow, we can go to the seamstress. She will be able to give you good clothes that fit, and get you started on an actual wardrobe.”

“I haven’t money to pay for it,” Brilyn protested, turning around towards Shay.

“You are a Rider now, Brilyn. It comes with a salary. Anything that you need for now will be taken care of by me. It is not an issue.”

“The bath is ready,” the maid said, returning. “Do you need assistance, my Lady?”

With a startle, Brilyn realized the maid was asking her. “Oh goodness, call me Brilyn, please. And I can manage.” She followed the maid to the tub of water in yet another room connected to their chambers, and took the soap from Gwen. “Thank you.”

She tied her hair up with her old ribbons – old scraps of fabric, really – while she waited until Gwen had left and closed the door. With a sigh, she undressed and sank into the warm water, closing her eyes. The peaceful moment did not last long, however, as she remembered that Shay would be waiting for her on the other side of the door, to continue making her appear decent before she could see the king.

She took the soap and clothes and started scrubbing at her skin. A few cuts and scrapes burned with the soap, but she merely grimaced and scrubbed harder, determined to rid her skin of all the dirt that had gathered on it since the last time she was able to bathe.

She emerged cleaner than she could ever remember being, smelling like lavender soap. She put on the clean underclothes that Gwen had left for her, and the white shift from Shay. When she emerged from the room, Shay quickly handed her the blue and white dress, then told the second maid that had arrived to tell Kevin that he could return. Shay had changed into a dark red dress while Brilyn was bathing.

By the time the maid and Kevin, along with Emyrus, walked into the room, Gwen and Shay had managed to put Brilyn’s long hair into a mostly respectable hairstyle, complete with decorative pins and all.

“You look like a different woman,” Kevin said, pouring a glass of water. “My wife is talented.”

“It is easy when she is as pretty as she is. Here, Brilyn, come look at yourself.” Shay motioned Brilyn towards her dressing room, where a tall mirror stood against a wall. Brilyn stared at the mirror, amazed at how rare such a large mirror was. It took her a few minutes to realize that she was in the mirror, and that the woman who looked back at her was really her.

She had seen herself before, yes, as rippling reflections in the water. Her hair had always been dull and tangled, but brushing it out had brought it shine and made it look darker and richer. Her face had always been somewhat dirty, but now it was pale and smooth and clean, cleaner than it had ever been. Her clothes were never well-made, never very clean, but now she stood in a dress that was fresh and of good fabric, in good slippers. She wouldn’t have recognized herself now, as she looked like a respectable woman, rather than just a girl who lived on her own.

“All that’s left now is your audience with King Richard.”

Brilyn sighed, feeling as if the weight of the world was upon her shoulders. Emyrus stood beside her, leaning his head against her knee. “Stay strong, Brilyn,” he said to her. “The Dragons are with us; there is nothing to worry about with the king.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always welcome. :)