Status: Active

Lady of the Black Dragon

Dining With Royalty

The next morning Brilyn was awoken by a girl about her age. “My Lady,” she had said, curtsying.

“Please, I’m just Brilyn,” she replied, sitting up in her bed.

“Well, my Lady, Lady Cimarron had this sent to you.” She held a lavender dress in her hands, and displayed it for Brilyn to see. “I have also readied your bath. And my name is Mora, my Lady.”

“Mora, please just call me Brilyn.” She looked around the room, and noticed a startling absence. “Mora, do you know where Emyrus is?”

“Kevin took him to the field to eat, my Lady.”

Brilyn crossed the room to her window, where she could see Emyrus sitting among the Dragons. He seemed to have grown overnight, yet again.

“Your bath, my Lady?”

“Yes. I do not need assistance bathing, thank you.” Unlike Shay’s chambers, everything in Brilyn’s room was in one room, yet separated by large, extremely ornate screens, which made the room seem much bigger. She crossed the room to one of those divisions and undressed, stepping into the water. She noticed that there was a table with soap and large clothes to dry off with beside it, and she grabbed the soap and started working on her hair, ridding it not only of an immense amount of dirt and oil but also of old tangles that they were not able to brush out the day before.

Those minutes were the last ones alone for the rest of the day. Her hair was cut, she was measured for clothes, she was measured for a bow and asked about her preferences for a set of arrows, she was taken on a tour, and she was tested to see where her tutoring should begin – Brilyn hadn’t attended school since she was eleven. Wherever she tried to choose modestly, Shay upgraded for her, reminding her that she was a Dragon Rider, and would act the part, as decreed by Shay.

By the time that she was sitting down for dinner, Brilyn was exhausted, and ravenous. Mora came in holding a dark red dress, with gold stitching, however, instead of a plate of food.

“Mora?”

“I am sorry, my Lady. It is such short notice, but you have been invited to dine with Prince Jerrod, Lady Charlotte, and her brother, Alix. Alix and Charlotte are the nephew and niece of King Richard, cousins to Jerrod. Their mother is Richard’s sister, wife to the King of Rameau.”

Brilyn sighed and waved her hand. “And the dress?”

“It was sent by Prince Jerrod.”

Brilyn had not been expecting this, but she did not show any reaction on her face. “I suppose it would be rude to decline,” she said, standing. “Hand me the dress.”

Mora handed over the expensive silk, and Brilyn walked behind the screen. “I'm new to Court... what manners do I need to know?"

“You curtsy as you enter. The men should stand as you walk in, but you may not sit until Prince Jerrod does so. You do not eat until Jerrod does so, you do not drink your wine until Jerrod first does so. Both the men are princes, but refer to Charlotte as Lady. You two are on the same level, however, so it is technically acceptable to use first names. Charlotte usually errs on the side of formality.”

Brilyn nodded to the instructions and exited the dressing area, wearing the dress. She turned so that Mora could tie the back of the dress for her. Mora did so, after also tightening her corset. Brilyn could only take shallow breaths, but she could breathe, and if anything, she would not have to worry about her posture.

“I suppose we should be on our way then,” Brilyn said, looking in her mirror and adjusting her skirt. The dress seemed overly extravagant, but it was pretty, and she had to admit that Jerrod had good taste. “Emyrus, are you going to stay here?”

The Dragon had curled into a ball in front of the fire, where he was all but on fire himself. “Yes, I will be fine.”

“Shall we, my Lady?” Mora opened the door for Brilyn and led her across the courtyard to the main part of the castle. They finally ended up in a large room with a dining table that would sit six, and a couple couches and chairs arranged in front of the fireplace. Mora immediately left, and Brilyn found herself among strangers yet again.

All three rose, and Brilyn curtsied. Jerrod laughed and was the first to speak. “What happened to losing all of those formalities, Brilyn?”

She straightened. “My apologies, Sire.”

“Jerrod, please, call me Jerrod.” He had come closer to Brilyn, and his voice lowered. “How do you like your dress?”

“It is very beautiful, Si-… Jerrod.”

The prince smiled as she said his name, and she could only smile in return. “You are exquisite wearing it, Brilyn.” Their eyes locked for just a second, and Brilyn couldn’t reply. It was only when the prince put his hand on her arm and led her to the others that she remembered they were in the room as well. “Brilyn, let me introduce you. This is Prince Alix Kossel of Rameau, and his sister, Lady Charlotte. Friends, this is Lady Brilyn Tierney.”

“It is a pleasure to meet you both,” Brilyn said, bowing her head to them.

“Likewise,” said Charlotte, smiling. Her brother only gave a slight smile in return.

“Well, shall we eat? I myself am very hungry.”

“A busy day, Jerrod?” Charlotte said. The three of them followed Jerrod to the table.

“Brilyn,” Jerrod said, pulling a chair out for her. She smiled and sat down, and he pushed it in for her, briefly placing a hand on her shoulder before sitting down at the head of the table himself. “Yes, Charlotte, it was fairly interesting. There has been a band of renegades blocking the road into a town and robbing those that try to enter. The town itself has not been able to stop them, so I had to go with my knights to put an end to it. It was a long ride on horseback, yet we didn’t want to bother the Dragons.”

“It seems that none of them want to leave the castle for fear that they might miss Emyrus’s first flight,” Charlotte said, smiling towards Brilyn.

“Would it be soon?” Brilyn asked, leaning forward.

“Two more days, at most, before he will fly,” Jerrod answered. “It will take a couple weeks before he’s able to fly for long distances. A couple months before he will be able to carry you.”

“But who knows how quickly a black Dragon will grow,” Alix said, taking a drink of his wine. “After all, you somehow stumbled upon the first one in any of our lifetimes.”

Charlotte looked to her brother, and he stared back. The look seemed to hold meaning, for the two of them, and Brilyn wondered if there wasn’t resentment lodging within him as well.

“Well, we shall certainly find out,” Jerrod said, grinning. “Brilyn, when your bow is completed, Alix will be the one to teach you. He is the best archer we have.” He smiled. “I’ve always focused more on swordsmanship.”

“Once you realized you couldn’t beat me with a target,” Alix said, tipping his head towards the prince. The first course was served, and Brilyn – after the Prince – took a bite of the food, which was much richer than she was accustomed to.

“Now, now. That’s hardly dinner conversation, is it?” Charlotte smiled, apparently used to the men’s jesting ways. “Lady Brilyn, how are you adjusting to the castle?”

“It is quite extravagant,” Brilyn said. After the words had left her mouth, she decided that she chose the wrong ones. Trying to compensate, she added, “Everything is very lovely here. I enjoy being here.”

“As you should, since it is your home now. How are your rooms?”

“They serve me well,” Brilyn said. She felt as if Charlotte’s questions were meant as an interrogation, but she didn’t understand how.

“What are your plans for tomorrow?” Jerrod asked. The first course was taken away, and the second served.

“I have another fitting with the tailor, and I meet with my tutor in the afternoon, Sire,” Brilyn said, not catching her use of his title until after it was said. For once, Jerrod did not point it out. “I also am going to the dinner with the Riders in the evening,” she added, speaking of the banquet just for the Riders that was held on a weekly basis.

“Well, would you have some time in the morning for your first lesson in swordsmanship?”

“I suppose so. Who will be my instructor?”

“Why, I will, of course. Nothing but the best for the new Rider.”

Charlotte let out a dainty laugh. “Your ego never fails, Jerrod.”

“It is nothing but the truth. Just come down to the grounds after your meeting with the tailor, and we shall start your lesson.”

“Sire, I am sure you have knights to train, rather than just me,” Brilyn said, somewhat disconcerted that he would make such time for her.

“As a Dragon Rider, Lady Brilyn, you are part of the best line of warriors for the kingdom,” Alix said. His tone was fairly condescending, even when coated in politeness. “Even before knights.”

Brilyn nodded. Of course she was. “Well, then, Sire, it will be an honor.”

“Fantastic. And no more of that Sire talk.”

The rest of the five-course meal passed in idle small talk, and Brilyn was grateful that she was no longer the subject of their conversation. At the end of the dinner, Jerrod offered to walk Brilyn back to her room. She couldn’t refuse without seeming rude, so she accepted.

Charlotte and Alix left them, and they started the walk to her room. The prince was in no hurry, judging by the slow pace that he set.

“I hope that my friends weren’t too much for you at once, Brilyn. I apologize if Alix seemed a bit rude. He hasn’t been himself lately.”

“I’ve handled worse.”

The prince looked at her face, her sly smile as she remembered something from her past. “I am certain you have. Aristocrats have the power to be a special kind of threat, but they’re mostly harmless.”

“And are you? Mostly harmless, that is?” She looked up at Jerrod, her eyes more intense than she would have realized.

“For you, I will not be harmless at all, my Lady.”

Brilyn would have to ask Mora, but she thought that he calling her ‘my Lady’ was not part of the required manners, since he was higher ranked. She refrained from commenting, however, and only looked up at the stars as they stepped outside.

“Does star gazing please you, Brilyn?”

“I’ve stared at those stars so many nights, I feel like I have seen them all. I’ve lived under the stars; it seems strange for them not to be the last thing I see before I sleep.” She paused, and then looked in the direction of her room. “Yet it also seems natural for that view to be Emyrus, instead.”

“As it should.” The walked in silence until they reached the door to her room. “Some night, we shall have to find a spot where we can see as many stars as our eyes can behold.”

Brilyn nodded. “That would be nice, Sire.”

“Once more,” Jerrod replied taking her hand in his. “I do not wish for us to be bound by silly formalities. Please, call me Jerrod. Always.” He kissed her hand yet again and bid her goodnight before she entered her room. She leaned against the door, trying to understand why her stomach had seemed to clench when her hand was in his.

“The dinner went well, my Lady?” Brilyn raised her head, just realizing that Mora was in the room as well.

“Please, just call me Brilyn. At least when we’re alone. All this ‘my Lady’ stuff is making my head spin.”

Mora smiled. “Is that all? I hear the prince is quite besotted with you.”

“Where did you hear that?”

The tone in Brilyn’s voice made Mora grin. “The servants gossip with each other, that is all. I overheard some things. I was just preparing your bed for you. The tailor sent some nightgowns and a few shifts. He will have more for you tomorrow.”

“That quickly?”

“He’s working on what you’ll need right away, and working quickly.”

“Well, I will thank him tomorrow. Thank you.”

Brilyn stepped into her dressing area, where Mora had dusted and begun to fill the wardrobe. The nightgowns were folded and placed on a shelf, and Brilyn shed her dress for the one. She handed the dress to Mora and watched as she hung it, loosely tying the strings.

“Is there anything else you need, Brilyn?”

“No, thank you, Mora. Have a good night.”

“And you. Goodnight, Brilyn.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Really starting to get into writing this story, hope you're enjoying reading it! Comments always welcome!

Thanks!