Status: Thanks for clicking :)

Ma Moitié

.

“Hey! You! Stop there!”

Matt looked up at the officer walking towards him.

“You’re not supposed to be playing that here!”

Matt shook his head and jumped up, throwing his guitar as softly as he can into the case. He didn’t even bother locking it before he grabbed it and ran.

“Hey! Stop!”

Matt ran from the officer for what seemed like forever. His legs grew sore. His breathing went raged. He was sure he dropped some of his money.

His feet made noises in the slush as he ran through patches of snow. Surprisingly, the cop just didn’t give up.

What is so wrong about playing some music at a public park?

A rundown theater caught Matt’s eye. He heard the SHLEEET and THUMP as the police officer slipped on a patch of ice and made a mad dash to the theater, holding his precious guitar case to his chest as he entered.

He stopped as soon as the door shut behind him. A melodic tune entered his head and danced with his heartstrings.

Matt walked slowly towards the sound, leading to the main room. On stage he saw a girl playing piano.

Katie ran her fingers over the old keys as if holding hands with an old friend. Lights danced behind her closed eyes.

Her voice flowed from her throat as she sang softly.

Santa baby, I wanna yacht, and that’s really not a lot
I’ve been an angel all year
Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa honey, there’s one more thing I really do need
The deed to a platinum mine
Santa honey, so hurry down the chimney tonight


Matt gaped at the blonde girl. Slowly he set down the case of his guitar on the floor and pulled out his guitar and inched closer. Sitting at the edge of the stage with his guitar held on his knee, he recognized the song and joined in.

As soon as Katie heard the new sound, she jumped and spun. The boy only smiled at her and continued to play.

Katie’s heart began to beat hard and fast in her chest. Had he heard her?

Well of course he had.

“Why’d you stop?” Matt asked her, running his fingers along the chords to the song slowly.

“Why are you here?” Katie counter-questioned.

“What’s your name?” Matt asked.

“What’s your name?”

Matt chuckled and set his guitar on the stage, feeling as if he was going nowhere.

“I’m Matt.”

Katie stood from the seat, smoothing down her dress. “I’m Katie.”

Matt stood up and stepped towards her. Her hair ran cascaded down her chest in circles and her eyes gleamed blue. In her nose stuck a small ring. She wore a short baby blue dress with soft floral prints along it and a silver belt.

Matt took her hand, bring it to his lips where he kissed just the tips of her knuckles, his eyes never leaving her face, “Hello, Katie.”

Katie tore her hand from Matt’s. His thumb brushed along something hard, and his eyes found her hand. On her ring finger sat a fat diamond engagement ring.

Oh.

“What are you doing here?” Katie asked again.

Matt laughed, “I was running from a cop.”

Katie’s eyebrows practically shot halfway up her forehead, “A cop?”

“He was chasing me for – what do they call it? – disturbance of the peace.” Matt smirked.

Katie reached forward and ran the bare tips of her fingers along the apples of his cheeks. “You’re cold. Why were you playing your guitar out in winter?”

“I need a way to pay the bills,” Matt admitted. “And I love music more than anything. So that’s why I do it.”

Katie smiled softly. A small buzz was heard.

Matt watched her walk over to the piano and pick up the phone laying atop it.

“I’ve got to go,” she said after she read the message.

Matt frowned.

“Would you meet here with me?” Matt asked her hopefully. “Tomorrow?”

Katie thought for a while whilst gathering her belongings, “If you come here same time tomorrow, we might just see.”

*

For a month the pair met up in the old run down theater. Always, they would play music together. Matt was the only one Katie could trust with hearing her voice.

Christmas Eve they lay on the stage, staring up at the lights threatening to go out above them.

Katie lay with her head at Matt’s feet; Matt’s head at Katie’s feet.

“Katie?” he asked after a moment of silence.

Katie looked down at Matt. “Hmm?” she hummed, before her eyes met a flickering light.

“Why are you so afraid to sing in front of people?”

Katie didn’t answer. She only kept watching the flickering light with fake interest. “Katie?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted. “I guess I’m afraid.”

“Afraid of what?”

Katie shrugged her shoulders and sat up, running her fingers along the dusty stage floor.

“I don’t know. Can we drop it?”

Matt sat up as well, grabbing at Katie’s hand. His thumb ran along the engagement ring on her finger.

“Whatever you say, Ma Moitié.”

Katie smiled. She didn’t know what it meant, but Matt loved calling her that.

*

Christmas day came and as always she met Matt at the theater.

“Afternoon,” he greeted, grabbing her hand and bringing it to his lips as always.

Katie smiled, “Good afternoon, Matt.”

Katie made her way to the broken down piano and took her seat.

“I don’t want to play today.”

Katie turned right round with raised eyebrows as she gazed at Matt. “What do you mean, ‘you don’t wanna play today’?”

“I mean I don’t want to play today,” Matt said, plopping down next to her. The worn bench creaked under the both their weight.

Katie bit her lip and shifted her body towards him.

“Okay, then what do you want to do?” she asked slowly.

Matt shrugged his shoulders and stood up. “Let’s go out.”

Out?”

“It’s Christmas, Katie! Let’s celebrate!” He took her soft hand in his. “Please?”

Katie knew she had to give into Matt. Always.

“Fine.”

Matt beamed, “Good! Let’s go.”

Together they left. As the pair walked down the street Matt noticed she kept playing with the trim of her green dress.

“What’s wrong?” he asked as he pulled her into a coffee shop.

“Nothing,” Katie lied. Matt shot her a look. “My fiancée and I just got into a fight, that’s all.”

“What about?” Matt really wasn’t at all interested. His eyes scanned the menu.

“He hates how I come to see you everyday and Christmas should be a time for family,” Katie replied.

“Two peppermint hot chocolates, please,” Matt told the lady. He pulled the money out from his wallet as he talked to Katie. “And you said?”

“I told him he should stop being a jealous prick and go fuck himself,” Katie answered simply.

Matt couldn’t help but chuckle. Katie had a soft exterior but when you really piss her off...well…you really piss her off.

Katie and Matt took a seat in the far corner and sipped his hot chocolate diligently. “Well a very merry Christmas to him then,” he said finally.

Katie giggled, “Very.”

Just then on the small stage a man went up, readjusting the microphone. “Merry Christmas, folks! For some merry cheer we have some live action today.”

Katie leaned in her seat.

“Please welcome Katie Calico and Matt Squire!”

Katie’s eyes widened as she faced a grinning Matt. “What the fuck, Matt?”

“I really thought it’d be for the best,” he told her, standing up. He held a hand out to her.

Katie stood up and took the hot chocolate, popping the top off and pouring it all over Matt’s head.

Matt hissed in pain at the heat as it seared his skin. “Katie!”

Katie pushed past him at that moment, ignoring the gaping looks of the café residents.

The cold hit her in a rush as she walked out. Snow fell from the sky in wisps. Only few people were out today, for it was Christmas and they were spending it with family.

Katie was just around the corner when Matt’s hand wrapped around her arm and spun her around.

“I know you could do great, Katie,” he told her.

Katie wiped at the tears in her eyes, “I’m not ready, Matt.”

Matt pulled her into his arms. She ignored that he was getting hot chocolate on her as well.

“It’s aright, Katie, I understand,” he said, running his fingers through her long hair.

They stood there for a while before Katie finally pulled away and looked up at him.

“What does Ma Moitié mean?” she asked.

Matt smiled, “It’s French for ‘My Half’.”

Katie didn’t say anything. Matt grabbed her chin and looked her in the eye. His calloused fingers ran along the skin of her jaw.

“You’re my other half, Katie.”

Katie felt her heart beat wildly in her chest. When she shivered, it wasn’t only because of the snow hitting her exposed skin.

“I am?” she whispered. Matt nodded.

Katie looked at the diamond ring on her finger. A diamond ring that was a curse.

Then finally, Matt leaned down and placed his lips on hers.

The pair shared a short, loving kiss. A kiss that bound them together. A kiss where Katie knew she didn’t want to be with her fiancée. She wanted Matt.

Matt pulled away and rested his forehead on hers, “I love you, Ma Moitié.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is sorta crappy...but I couldn't find a way to make it any better, so here you go!

Thanks for clicking ^.^