I'm Sorry

Chapter One

Frank turned and smiled, “Baby, that was the best time I’ve had with anyone in a long time.”

“I thought you’d enjoy it,” replied Sarah, returning Frank’s smile. “If you want to do it again sometime, you know how to reach me.”

“Yeah,” laughed Frank. “That’s not difficult to do,” he said speaking in a sarcastic tone. He knew he wouldn’t see her again in three months, and he didn’t want to say goodbye. It was always that way. She would come home for a few weeks and be gone for months.

“I’m sorry, Frank. I hate how this always turns out. If it weren’t for the band, though, I’d be lost. It’s my life. I was sure you’d understand.”

“Yeah, I do. My Chemical Romance is my life. I understand. I just don’t like saying goodbye. It’s not fair. People aren’t supposed to go so long without their best friends.”

They hugged each other one last time before she had to leave to catch her flight. She was going to Europe for a three month tour and they’d be apart just that long.

“Just remember. Gerard and the rest of your boys will be there for you. They’ve always been there. You’re not losing everyone all at once. Just one.”

“Yeah, the most important one.”

“Aww, Frankie, you’re so cute. I’ll miss you.”

“You better.”

Frank spent the next three months as usual with his band. The months flew by faster than he had expected them to, and he was back at the airport to see Sarah in no time at all. When they saw each other, both of their faces lit up and the whole room knew they were there to see each other.

“See,” Sarah said in Frank’s arms, “It wasn’t that long.”

“No, it felt longer.”

“So what do you want to do, now that we have two weeks?”

“Your call.”

Frank and Sarah spent the two weeks they had together as best friends would and enjoyed each time they spent with each other. They had a bond impossible to break. It didn’t matter how long they spent apart, they were always the closest friends.

As being in a band always goes, they had to be split for some time again. This time, however, they didn’t know how long it would be. Frank’s grandfather became very ill, and for the next month, that was all he could think about. One night while away, Frank called Sarah and told her he’d be back in about a week. She told him she wouldn’t be there because she was going to California to record and didn’t know how long it would take.

“Congrats;” he said, “that’s great. Can’t wait to buy it.”

“Thanks,” she replied, laughing. “I’m leaving in three days. I’ll call you when I get there to let you know I made it and I’m okay.”

“Okay, I’ll be waiting for that call. I miss you, but I have to go now. I’m sorry I can’t talk longer.”

“No, that’s okay. How’s your grandfather?”

“He’s doing better now, thanks. Bye, Sarah.”

“Bye.”

Four days later, Frank received a call. He picked up the phone immediately, expecting it to be Sarah since she had not called the day before like she was supposed to.

“Hello? Is this Frank?”

“Yes, it is. Who is this?”

“This is June, Sarah’s drummer.”

“Hey, is Sarah okay? Did you guys make it to California okay?”

“Frank…” June said softly.

“I’m so sorry…” she continued.

“What do you mean? Why are you sorry?”

“I don’t know how to say this without tears.”

“Say what?” Frank said, becoming impatient.

“Sarah…” June tried to continue, now sobbing. “Sarah passed away this morning.”

“What?” Frank said, tears now coming to his eyes. June couldn’t see him, but she could hear it in his voice. “You mean, she’s dead?”

“I’m so sorry, Frank.”

Frank hung up the phone immediately and sat there with his head in his hands, tears rolling down his cheeks and arms.

He lost two people he loved in less than two days.