I'm Sorry

Chapter Two

Frank woke up the next morning with red, swollen eyes and pink, tear-stained cheeks. He felt like shit. Then he remembered. He remembered the phone call. He remembered the horrible words told to him. He remembered crying himself to sleep.

He’d never felt such misery in life and wanted to pretend it was all a bad dream. He saw the phone laying next to him and became nervous. He checked the caller I.D. to see the last call. He became more nervous when he saw that it was a California number. He pressed the on button and it began ringing.

“Hello?” A girl’s voice came from the other end.

“June?”

“Yes? Frank?”

“Fuck,” he said, disappointedly.
The other end was silent.

“I’m sorry. I was just really hoping it was not you.”

“Oh?”

“Oh, I’m sorry again. I didn’t mean it like that. I was just hoping that last night…that last night didn’t…happen. That I dreamt the whole thing.”

“I’m sorry Frank. I know how you must feel.”

“You have no idea, actually.”

“Look, she was one of my best friends. I about died when the doctor told me she didn’t make it.”

“Sarah was my best friend. Not one of them. The only one. I loved her like you could never believe.”

“I’m sorry.”

Frank’s end was silent, so June continued, “Do you want to know how it happened?”

“Yes, of course.”

“The plane crashed.”

“What?”

“I woke up in the hospital. Everyone on the plane did. There were four deaths.”

“Why Sarah, though? Why’d it have to be her?”

“Look, dude. If it could have been me, I would have done anything for that to be true. She didn’t die right away. The doctor told me she was unconscious the whole time. They checked on her the next morning and she had passed. There was nothing they could have done.”

Frank hung up the phone. He didn’t want to hear anymore. He barely knew this woman and didn’t want to hear her voice anymore.

He looked up and saw his reflection in the mirror beside his bed. It disgusted him. He showered, dressed, and started packing. His grandfather’s funeral was in two hours.

The funeral was a horrible experience for Frank and he choked back tears the whole time. After, he ate lunch with his parents and then took a sub home. He lived four hours away, but the hours seemed like days. He couldn’t stop thinking about Sarah and wanted to be in front of the sub instead of on it. He wanted to die.

“I’m so sorry man. Are you gonna be okay?” Gerard tried to comfort Frank.

“No. I hate my life. I want…to…fucking…die.”

“Frank. Dude, I heard what happened,” Ray came into the room where Gerard and Frank were, “I’m sorry, man.

“Why the fuck is that all anyone can fucking say? ‘I’m sorry.’ I get it. Who isn’t sorry when someone dies? Especially when it’s someone you know.”

“Frank. Come on, man. You need to rest and stop thinking so hard about it.”

“I’m sorry guys. It just seems like that’s all anyone has been saying for the past two days.”

He got up and left. He didn’t know where he was going. He just wanted to go. He needed to be by himself. He went to the liquor store down the road and decided to drink his pain away. He went to the park and drank. He stayed there until it got dark.

When he got home, he hit the floor. He was so drunk and he reeked of alcohol. Gerard and Ray pulled him up onto the couch. They both went to bed. They knew it had been a hard day for Frank, and the thought exhausted them.

The back of Mikey’s head was in Frank’s face when he woke up. He was sitting on the floor in front of him, watching television.

Frank sat up and stumbled to the bathroom. He puked, showered and went back to sleep, but this time in his bed.