I'm Sorry

Chapter Four

When Lydia came in, Frank felt a knot in his stomach. He always thought Sarah was stunning. He wouldn’t let her forget it either. Lydia reminded him of Sarah so much; it pained him to see her walk into the coffee shop. She was shorter than Sarah, and her hair was straighter. Other than that, he couldn’t point out many noticeable differences between the two women.

She rushed to the table.

“I’m so sorry,” she cried.

“It’s okay.”

“Dude, Frank, are you kidding me? I was twenty minutes late, and you’re telling me it’s okay?” she said. She clearly didn’t believe him.

“No, really. I didn’t mind sitting here by myself. It gave me time to think.”

“Well, if you say so,” she laughed.

Frank couldn’t help but notice how white her teeth were when she smiled.

“You know something?” she asked, bringing Frank back to reality.

“Hmm?”

“I can’t help but notice how you stare at me. I think if I was anyone else, I would have been scared of you by now and fucking left and changed my number,” she said laughing. “Why do you keep doing that?”

“Oh, erm. I don’t know. Maybe you should look in the mirror. You’re really pretty.”

“Well, thank you weirdo,” she laughed.

They spent the whole afternoon in the coffee shop. Frank didn’t know how he felt anymore. He wanted to get up and walk away and never see her again because it hurt to look at her. But then again, this girl was too amazing for him to just throw out of his life. He didn’t want to be hurt, but somehow he was happy at the same time with her.

“Where have you been, man?” Gee interrogated Frank as soon as he opened the door.

“Out,” Frank replied.

“Well, you’re not skipping out on dinner tonight. Let’s go. We have to meet Bob and Ray at the old diner.”

Frank and Mikey followed Gerard out the door and they went to eat.

“Who is it?” Bob asked when he saw Frank looking at his phone after it rang.

“No one,” Frank lied.

“You know what?” Gerard said to Frank.

Frank gave him a quizzical look.

“You have be acting really weird lately. I mean, obviously you’ve been different for six months now, but you’ve just been weird since yesterday,” Gerard continued.

Frank got up and walked out to go smoke. Mikey followed.

“Who is she?” Mikey asked.

“Wha-?”

“Who is the girl you met yesterday and why have you been hiding her?” Mikey cut him off.

“I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.”

“Come on, Frank. I saw her number on your phone a minute ago. Who is she?”

“A girl.”

“Well, no shit. Why have you been hiding her?”

“I don’t know. I ran into her yesterday on the street. She reminds me so much of Sarah. I couldn’t believe it when I saw her. It hurt so much to see this girl.”

“I won’t tell them.”

“Thanks.”

Frank put out his cigarette and they both walked back inside. When they all got back to the house Frank stayed outside and called Lydia. He wanted to see her again tomorrow. He wanted to tell her everything.