Status: slow updates

Almost Alive

Fall

Brendon stumbles into the coffee shop panting. He’s out of breath and is running late and is about to get fired. The line is long, and he almost turns around when he sees Jon waving him over to the pick up counter.

“Dude,” Jon grins, handing over two cups of coffee when Brendon reaches him. “You’re late.”

Brendon rolls his eyes, and pulls out his wallet. “Don’t even start, Walker. I’ve got a list of shit to do today, and Frank’s probably going to fire my ass if I’m late.”

“Again,” Jon adds, refusing to take the cash Brendon’s handing out to him. “It’s on the house, man.”

“Jon,” Brendon says, flustered beyond belief. “Really, I owe you my life now.”

“You do,” Jon says. “So you better get going before Frank kills you.”

Brendon sends Jon a blinding smile over his shoulder, and rushes out of the coffee shop. He is gripping both coffee cops in his hands, and praying to God he doesn’t drop them. Or spill them. Or anything that would involve losing the coffee Jon just bought him. Of course, though, he gets so absorbed in hoping he doesn’t spill the coffee cups that he actually does. Well. Sort of.

Some person comes flinging into Brendon, and both of them fall to the floor. The kid that knocked Brendon over is back on his feet in seconds, holding his hood over his head, covering is face. Brendon sits there and curses, picking up the cup that spilled all over the sidewalk. He stands up and chucks the empty cup into the nearby garbage, cradling the other one, but he stops before he keeps moving.

He reaches down to the ground and picks up a pocket watch. He turns to look for the guy who he just ran into, but Brendon can’t see him anywhere. He turns his attention back to the watch, and twirls it around. It’s not cracked, but the heart shaped face of the clock isn’t ticking. He taps the face and shakes it, but it still won’t start ticking again. He sighs and puts it into his jacket pocket.

Maybe Frank will let him off the hook if he gives him the broken watch as a present.

-

“What’s that?” Frank asks, pointing to the watch on Brendon’s desk.

Brendon shakes his head. He couldn’t get it to start working again for the life of him. “I don’t know. Some kid ran into me on the street and he dropped this.”

Frank blinks and asks, “So you took it from him?”

“No, no,” Brendon says. “He took off, and it was just sitting there. I didn’t see what he looked like, so I couldn’t go look for him.”

“Why don’t you make an add or something? Have it put into the newspaper, maybe,” Frank suggests, sipping the coffee Brendon gave it him. He’d have to stop at the coffee shop again for lunch. He’d have to find a way to pay Jon back.

“You think it’s a good idea?”

Frank shrugs his shoulders. “I don’t know. Just do it quick, we have a bunch of appointments later.”