Status: -on hold, sorry-

Shadowed Destinies

LIFE AS AN ASSASSIN

Steady. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I aim my bow. I couldn’t miss this shot, and it was coming so quickly. I sat above a rooftop overlooking the dirty streets of Noxton, the smoke that hung in the air stained my clothes now; though it hardly stung my throat anymore. Light rain fell through the night and blanketed the whole street in a sickly texture of grime and fog. Around me I had my quiver of arrows and a small, green bottle that was capped closed now. I wore a black outfit, a short shirt and pants; nothing notable.

My bow shook a little as I concentrated on the single point in street. I could hear my breath ragged as I struggled to keep my hand still. I couldn’t miss this shot! There! From the corner of my eye I saw him. Three… Two… I let it loose and ducked out of sight. I heard I gasp of pain and a man screaming for guards. That mean I hit, which mean I had to get on the move. I grabbed my quiver and bow and strung them over my shoulder, then dropped the green bottle into my pocket.

I ran down the side of the roof and jumped to the next one. My feet slipped and I felt myself slide down onto the rim of the roof and I held on. My feet dangled helplessly and I grunted, pulling myself up and crawling up the side of the roof. I climbed down the side until I reached the street. I saw guards running towards me. I had to keep my cool, but I couldn’t help but feel my heart lurch. But they ran past me and back towards where I had come from. I had to get out of here fast before someone tried to question me.

I walked slyly down the street until I reached a large inn, a few of the windows were still lit and I pushed into the warm room. It was cozy in here definitely and the room was lit by a huge fireplace in the center of the far wall. I turned right to see a small bar, the bartender chortled with a smile, “Didn’t ‘spect to see you back here so quickly, Shadow. You’ve only been gone for a little over an hour, it’s best to get those jobs done quick y’know.” Gerry was the bartender here; he was elderly with fluffy white hair and grey eyes that sparkled. He was warm and friendly and knew everything about everything in town.

I gave a sly smile and a light laugh, “I know better than most, Ger. I’m already done. I’ve come to as the Wolf if I can get something more challenging next time.”

Ger raised his eyebrows and smirked, “Well, he’ll like your enthusiasm. Get on up there, kiddo. I’m sure they’re all up there waiting for ya.” I nodded and headed up the stairs down to the basement. It was chilly down here, but Wolf didn’t mind, and if he didn’t then I didn’t. I walked down the familiar corridor and entered the room closed off by only a linen curtain. Wolf sat at his desk, scribbling in papers. He was younger than Gerry, but his wisdom and serious tone could make a room go silent. His beard was dark and tame, and his dark hair made his blue eyes glow in the gloom. He looked up from his work and his deep, scruffy voice sent chills up my spine, “Finished already?” he asked.

“Course; else I wouldn’t be here, would I?” I replied, taking a seat in a chair in the corner of the room and crossing my legs before folding my hands on my lap.

“My, my, Samantha, you should slow down a little and leave jobs for the rest of us.” He spoke, his tone with a light, but still serious, humour to it.

My eyes darkened and I crossed my hands over my chest, “Don’t call me that, Wolf.”

“Right, right; Shadow it is.” He paused with a shrug, “Well, if your job is done then I’m afraid I have nothing left for you tonight.”

I rolled my eyes, “There’s always another job, Wolf.”

“Not for you.”

“What? Come on’, you know I’m not satisfied with sitting around here all day waiting for you to begrudgingly give me a job. You should know by now I’m as good as any of these sorry losers that call themselves-“.

“I don’t have any job you can handle Shadow.”

I snorted, “I can handle anything.”

Wolf growled, looking at me with his cold eyes and I shuttered, “No, you can’t Shadow. Just because you’ve completed three jobs this week successfully, doesn’t mean you can handle everything, there are more difficult things than those little games provide.” He glanced to the door “Now get out.” I complied. When Wolf told you to do something, you did it; no matter what it was. Because Wolf’s wrath was worse than anything just complying could provide.

I took the stairs and headed to the second floor, past the main where Gerry still tended the short bar. On the second floor there was a second fireplace, surrounded by cooking supplies. Here there were also three young men I knew. Orion was the eldest and the most mature with short, sandy blonde hair and brown eyes. Pa’wor was the youngest, short with spiky red hair and amber eyes with a face I recognized as Maege, since he had moved here from Redfrost. And the most immature was Hound, a tall man with flowing brunette hair and hazel eyes. I knew he fancied me, heck many of them wouldn’t mind having a piece of me except for the fact I found them pretty annoying. They were in the same business as me, so they didn’t get time to play around with girls much. They were cooking up so nice-smelling stew when I entered.

“Look at what the cat dragged in!” called Orion, laughing from the cauldron. Pa’wor whistled and Hound gave me a good once-over, his eyes studying me like a piece of meat.

“You’re back from your job already?” Orion asked, “That was pretty quick.”

“Yes, yes; I think it might even deserve a prize… perhaps a bowl of the stew for congratulations?” I asked, I was starving and all I had to eat were few apples back in my room.

“Oh, no; you’re not getting any that easy.” Hound laughed, approaching me seductively. “But maybe you can have a little-for a price? How about, a kiss? Hmm?” he came close, a little too close if I didn’t know that all he wanted had nothing to do with my pain.

Pa’wor and Orion hooted in the background “Kiss him, kiss him!” they chanted together. They were so into it, and they were obviously having a good time. I didn’t want to ruin that, did I? So I leaned in and gave a chuckle before planting my lips on his.

Now, don’t get me wrong, this was not the first time I’d kissed Hound, nor would it be the last. I had a light friendship with all three boys, and I’d kissed all three of them on several occasions. They understood it was all just for fun; that I wasn’t looking for anything close to a serious relationship anytime soon. So we were happy with a little playful kiss here, just to entertain ourselves. It’s not like any of us had many opportunities for romance anyway in our line of work.

Hound was very into it tonight, pulling me closer and placing his hand firmly on my waist. I laughed and pulled away, “No, no, no! That’s quite…” again he locked lips again and I rolled my eyes. It was fun, so I let him go on for a little while. It was smooth, and invigorating. After a few seconds though, I ended up having to give him a quick kick in the shin to make him let go. Orion and Pa’wor hooted with laugher, but Hound cursed loudly as he fell to the ground and rubbed his leg. Orion handed me a bowl of the stew and I smiled and turned for the stairs to climb up to the room.

“Oh, come on, Shadow! You know you want me!” Hound called back after me, his voice filled with laughter, though I could hear a bit of pain in his voice.

“Good night, boys!” I called, before disappearing up the stairs. My room was on the third floor overlooking the street. In it was a bed, chest and a closet that contained the few articles of clothing I owned. I quickly ate my earnings and changed out of my damp clothing. I put away my bow, arrows and shiny green bottle into my chest of belongings before dressing into my nightgown. I lay in bed and gave a long sigh as I relaxed. Life was good as an assassin.