On the Run

Niall Horan

Niall tossed his bag into the back of the van, piling it on top of the others. It was a tight fit, but they all managed to get them in the back, leaving enough room for them to pile in the seats. He slammed the back door shut, before peeking into the van through the back windshield.

Louis had taken the driver’s seat, with Caroline sitting next to him, her feet propped comfortably on the dash. The furthest back row had been taken by Harry, Zayn, and Liam, who were scrunched into the somewhat small space. The next row held Rory and Anne, whose seats had been given to them by Louis himself.

All of that left only one seat open – the one behind Louis and next to Gianna – and he was thankful he’d get to take it.

He was almost positive it had been left open because no one was still particularly fond of the fact that Gianna was son to Enzo, but Niall didn’t mind. Of course, he didn’t like that Gianna’s father had been the one to lock him in prison, but he knew that it wasn’t her fault. She didn’t get to pick her family and she certainly didn’t get to decide how they behaved.

“We’re going to be in and out of the city before anyone can see us,” Louis said, as Niall took his seat next to Gianna. “We’re going to get the money and then get out.”

Everyone nodded, and Louis turned the ignition, the group driving in silence until they reached the city.

There was obvious tension in the van, with all of them worried about the potential of them being caught. Niall didn’t want to go back to prison, but most of all, he worried about what would happen to Gianna if her father caught her with them. It would be enough to get anyone kicked out of the Viche, but would it be enough for Enzo’s own daughter.

When they turned down a less busy road, Niall saw Louis grip Caroline’s hand, and he knew that they’d reached he and Rory’s apartment. The building was run down, but not overly so. It looked exactly like the place one of the Viche’s members would live, and Niall wouldn’t have expected anything less.

Louis parked the car across the street, close enough for them to make a quick getaway, but far enough away that they wouldn’t be noticed.

“Gianna, you stay here,” Louis said, looking back at her. “It’s too risky to have you go in and risk any of your father’s men seeing you.”

The brunette nodded, before slouching back in her seat, arms folded across her chest. It was clear she hated the position she was in, and hated that no one trusted her because of it.

“Be safe, Care.” Louis pressed his lips to Caroline’s forehead, while pulling her in for a quick hug. “Watch your back and be careful. I can’t have anything bad happen to you.”

Caroline nodded, as she bit her lower lip. When Louis pressed one last, small kiss against her cheek, she propped the door open, stumbling out of the van while the other two girls followed suit.

“They’ll be alright,” Zayn said to Louis, who looked more worried than he did on the day of the trial. “They’re smart girls.”

Louis simply nodded, as he waited for them to hurry back.

It seemed like the girls had been in the building for hours, and Louis’s constant tapping against the wheel wasn’t making time go any faster. It was obvious he was worried, and if the girls didn’t come down soon, Niall was sure he’d run up the stairs and risk everything to make sure Caroline was okay.

Just when Louis’s hand found its way to the door handle, ready to pull it open, Caroline’s blonde hair came tumbling out of the apartment complex, the other two girls following behind her.

Louis nearly jumped out of the van, before running across the street and towards the girls. Even from far away, Niall could see him wrap his arms around Caroline, holding her as tightly as he could, before pulling away and guiding her and the other girls back to the van.

All the girls piled into the van, hopping round Gianna to do so. When all their seatbelts were fastened and everyone had taken their place, Louis revved up the engine and pulled the van forward, taking very little consideration for the traffic around them.

With a suitcase full of Louis’s hidden cash, the group made their way to the border, hoping that the invisible line would put them out of Enzo's grasp.
♠ ♠ ♠
They're almost to the border!! Hopefully they make it there safely(;