On the Run

Harry Styles

Harry’s eyes were gently shut, with his breaths falling easily in and out. His arms were wrapped comfortably around the olive skin girl who lay naked in his arms. Her dark hair tickled his nose and awakened him from his slumber.

With a deep breath, he outstretched his arms, while forcing his eyes open, and found that it was still dark outside. The room was hot, which made his body sweat, and he knew he’d never be able to fall back asleep like that.

He gently pulled one arm out from underneath Rosa and was extra careful not to wake her. She shuddered a bit, but didn’t wake, and Harry quickly ducked out of the room.

The air outside of the girl’s bedroom was just as hot as the air in it, even with all the fans.

Rubbing his hands against his eyes, Harry made his way to the back of the house, so he could sit out on the open porch. He imagined the outside wasn’t much cooler, but he needed some fresh air to put his racing mind to rest.

He opened the door and found Louis lounging in one of the chairs with a faraway look in his eyes. Harry knew that Louis was always the type to worry, so it didn’t surprise him to see the older boy out there. Chances were he couldn’t sleep because he was too busy worrying about the impending danger that was waiting around every corner.

“Hello, Louis,” Harry said, as he pulled one of the chairs towards him. “Can’t sleep?”

Louis nodded his head. “You too?”

Harry sighed, nodding his head as well. Even though they were supposed to be safer in Mexico than they were in the US, none of them felt any safer. It was growing harder to sleep by the day, and Harry felt lucky just for the little bit of rest he’d gotten after his romp with Rosa.

“How’s Caroline doing?” Harry asked.

Louis tucked his head into hands, letting out a deep breath. The boy paused for a moment before looking up at Harry.

“Can I tell you something?” Louis asked, his eyes looking soft.

Harry nodded.

Biting at his lips, Louis took a deep breath. “I’m scared for her, Harry. I’m scared every second of every day. I just want her to be safe and I worry that I’m not doing enough to protect her.”

Harry knew that feeling. He was constantly thinking that they weren’t safe enough, and even though he had little connection to Caroline, he wanted her to be safe as well. He felt the same way, and like Louis, he didn’t know what they could do to make her better.

“I’ve gotta think of something, Harry,” Louis continued. “I have to find a way to make things right for her again. Her whole life is ruined, and it’s all my fault.”

Silence filled the air, and Harry heard the sound of crickets chirping in the distance. He wanted to give Louis some advice on how to make things better, but he didn’t know what to say. He’d never been excellent with guidance and the situation they were in only made it more difficult. The only way Caroline could be safe is if she was as far away as possible.

“Have you ever been to Europe?” Harry asked. Louis looked up at him, with his eyebrows furrowed. “I hear it’s a pretty big continent. Lots of people.”

Louis bit his lip, and his eyes flickered as if he knew what Harry was hinting at. Mexico wasn’t far enough away, and no matter how far south they went, it would never be far enough. They had to get clear across the ocean, as far away from the Viche as they could possibly get.

“It is, isn’t it?” Louis said, as he pressed his chin into the palm of his hands.

Harry nodded and stood up, leaving Louis to his thoughts. He was about to step inside when he remembered something else – the thing that would always be holding them back.

“If you go, make sure you go alone.” Harry said, meeting Louis’s eyes. “Just you and her. It’s the only way you can get away.”

“But –”

“No,” Harry interrupted. “Rory will be fine. If you wanna keep Caroline safe, it can only be the two of you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooohh, I wonder what will happen next!