On the Run

Liam Payne

“So how do we know Enzo is going to be at this warehouse?” Katherine asked, looking over at Liam. He kept his eyes on the road, making sure to stay at the speed limit as he soared down the highway.

“Because if they sent men after us, that means they sent men after Zayn, Harry, Niall, and Louis too. Enzo wouldn’t risk trying to smuggle all of them into America, so he and his men would just come down here.” Liam explained. “He has a giant warehouse where they package and ship his cocaine a few miles from the border, right in the middle of the desert. You can’t find it unless you’ve been there before.”

“Well I’m hoping you have.” She said, turning back to her gun as she cleaned it.

“Multiple times.” Liam assured her. “I’m a cleaner, I make illegal things disappear. So Enzo had me rig the place so he could hide his coke should the DEA come knocking.”

“What if he didn’t come down at all? What if it’s just a firing squad?”

“Please, In Enzo’s eyes we kidnapped his daughter. He’s going to be taking care of this personally.” There was another long silence as Katherine turned to him.

“So how are we planning on getting all your guns and grenades back across the border then?”

“We’re not.” Liam said simply.

“You do realize without some more firepower we have no chance of-”

“Katherine, do you really think I would only have one weapons storehouse?” He asked, cocking an eyebrow as he looked at her. “I have a nice little place three miles away from the warehouse.”

“Why didn’t you tell the others when we were looking for somewhere to hide?”

“What, and show Gianna all the weapons I’m planning to use to blow her father to kingdom come?” Liam scoffed. “I’m not that stupid.” Katherine nodded, chewing her lower lip. “I did tell Tomlinson though.”

“Why?”

“I was debating with him that we should kill Enzo, I told him I had guns and grenades and everything, offered to show him even, but he refused.”

“You trusted Tomlinson?”

“I respect him.” Liam said simply. “I’ve cleaned up for him several times, he’s a professional in every sense of the word.”

“Except when it comes to Rory and Caroline.” Katherine muttered. There was another short silence before she looked at him. “Did you tell him where it was?”

“Yes. I told him Enzo would come down to the warehouse and use it as a base as he looked for us and that our location was perfect. We could surprise him in the middle of the night and-” He stopped when he saw Katherine’s face turn white. “What?”

“What if he ratted us out? What if he told Enzo about this place?”

“Please, Tomlinson isn’t a rat.” He said simply.

“He might be if they have Rory and Zayn-”

“Katherine, there are three people on this entire planet I can honestly say I trust.” He said simply. “I’m one of them, and Tomlinson is one of them.”

“Who’s the third?” She asked, smirking. Liam was quiet for a long time before he sighed.

“You.”

“I thought you didn’t trust me?”

“Well people change.” He said bluntly. She could see it was a sore subject and decided to stop pestering him, smiling smugly as she sat back. A few more hours passed before Liam turned a corner, pulling up to a small, rusted shack in the middle of the desert. As he killed the engine Katherine simply looked at him, chuckling.

“This is it?”

“It’s what’s on the inside that counts.” He snapped, obviously hurt over her remark as he jumped out of the car. “Now come on, let’s load up before Enzo moves.” He shoved his gun into the front of his jeans and Katherine mimicked him. But just as Liam was about to unlock the door he heard the click of a hammer being drawn back. He turned to Katherine, but she hadn’t touched her weapon. He could see, however, that she had heard it too.

“On three, I’m going to open the door, then run inside and hit the ground okay?” He whispered. She gave the slightest hint of a nod as Liam slowly mouthed, “one… two… three!” He ripped the door open, shoving Katherine inside before they both threw themselves on the ground, Liam slamming the door behind them. Bullets ripped through the shanty tin walls, the noise near deafening as Liam crawled over to a small black trunk.

He quickly typed in a code and twisted the dial before the trunk popped open and Liam pulled out a machine gun, sliding it to Katherine before taking out another machine gun and nearly twenty grenades. He then pulled out a bullet proof vest, throwing it to Katherine before grabbing another and quickly fastening it to himself. With that he crawled back over to her, bullets still attempting to cut the shack in two as they stayed on the ground. But finally it stopped.

Liam crawled over to the door, nodding to Katherine as she followed. “Ready?” He whispered.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.” She said darkly. He nodded, taking a deep breath before he pulled the door open, throwing out his first grenade before he and Katherine returned fire, spraying bullets into the desert and praying they were hitting something. As he heard the first grenade go off, followed by screams of agony, he began throwing out the others as fast as he could, jumping to Katherine and lying over her as they all went off.

The first thing he heard after the explosion why a scream of pain, but it didn’t belong to a man. He looked down to see tears in Katherine’s eyes as she took in a shaky breath. Liam shot up, seeing a piece of the wall sticking out of her thigh.

He didn’t know why he was so concerned by the thought of her dying when they both had known this was a suicide mission. But he knew he couldn’t let her bleed out. He dropped his gun, ripping off a piece of his shirt and tying it above her gash. But when he saw it hardly did a thing he knew she was going to need a doctor, she needed stiches and medicine and probably a few shots. He knew that she would be dead within hours without them, and he knew what he had to do.

He leaned down, giving her a fierce kiss, knowing it would be the last they ever shared as he stood. “Liam.” She said, knowing what was going to happen, what he had to do to save her. “Not for me.” She shook her head, begging him not to, but he knew he had no other choice.

“I have to.”

“Why?” He felt his blood boil as he thought of the only way Enzo could have found his hideout, Tomlinson. He turned to Katherine, seeing her bright blue eyes watching him. “Because you’re the only person I can trust now.” He whispered. “And I…” But he couldn’t get himself to say the words. He knew that somewhere in this twisted adventure he’d fallen for her, and he couldn’t lose her if he could help it. He wanted to tell her, but the small smile on her lips told him she already knew. With that he took a deep breath, turning to the door.

“ENZO!” He hollered. “I have a deal for you!” He knew Enzo was out there, probably in a bulletproof car, and he stayed pressed against the wall by the door.

“And what is that Payne?” Liam took a deep breath, turning to Katherine.

“My friend is hurt, she needs a doctor. If you swear to me to take her to a hospital, then I’ll give myself up.”

“You just took out thirty of my men!” Enzo barked. “Why should I help you?”

“Because I have this shack and the two miles around it rigged to blow with the push of a button.” Liam barked. There was a tense silence before Enzo spoke.

“You’re bluffing!”

“Look at the cactus.” Liam said calmly. He had made a small incision before stuffing the plant with C4, just in case something like this were ever to happen. He licked his lips nervously, turning to Katherine. She was already pale, trying to find the pressure point on her leg to slow the bleeding as she looked at him. “Now you swear to me that she lives!” Liam snapped.

“Alright.” Enzo finally said. “Both of you come out.” Liam turned to Katherine, scooping her up with ease and looking at her.

“You’re going to be alright.” He whispered. She just shook her head and he saw tears in her eyes.

“He’s going to kill you Liam.”

“Not if I get him first.” With that he gave her another, soft kiss before making his way outside, cradling her as he saw the bloodshed the standoff had created. And right in the middle was Enzo, not a drop of blood on his pristine white suit jacket. He nodded and one of his men walked over, Taking Katherine gently out of Liam’s arms and loading her into a van.

The moment she was out of his arms Liam felt a sharp pain in the back of his head and crumpled, the desert spinning around him before everything went dark.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh no! Louis got Liam caught!

oxoxoxox
LS