On the Run

Zayn Malik

Zayn’s head was throbbing as the dust cleared and he saw the bright blue eyes he had dreamed of for the three months he’d been in prison awaiting the trial. Rory ran over to him, quickly pistol whipping the guard groaning on his left before pulling him to his feet. They both turned to see Caroline already had Louis out of the bus and was all but throwing him into the white van they had come from. Zayn’s eyes quickly moved to Rory’s, both of them then lunging and pressing their lips together with so much built up passion that they were each a bit stunned. Finally Rory pulled away.

“We have to move.” He simply nodded as the two of them made sure everyone was out of the bus before grabbing an unconscious curly haired boy who Zayn knew only as Harry. He tossed him over his shoulder and the two of them turned to run out of the bus.

Just as Zayn had gotten through the door he heard Rory let out a small scream and turned back to see one of the guards had an iron grip on her ankle. The other guards started groaning and waking up when Rory pulled out her gun, aiming it in the man’s face. Zayn saw her hands shaking violently.

“Let go.” She growled. The man refused to listen as she continued to try and shake him off.

“Rory come on!” He said, he reached over and grabbed her hand, and the gun went off. Rory’s lips started quivering as she looked at what was left at the man’s face. Zayn simply grabbed her, pulling her head into his chest as he took her gun and quickly took out the rest of the guards and the driver before pulling her out of the bus and into the van. A small brunette girl with bright blue eyes then hit the gas, the nine of them speeding off down the highway.

Zayn looked over to see Rory’s skin was pale, her eyes a thousand miles away as she looked at the floor of the van. He was about to reach over to comfort her, thinking Louis would be far too distracted by Caroline to care, but he was thankful he didn’t as he heard his boss’ voice. “Rory, what’s wrong?” Louis moved over, kneeling in front of her while Caroline bandaged the curly haired boys head, her hands a little too delicate considering he was a complete stranger. But Zayn dismissed this as he turned back to see Louis, who was trying desperately to get his younger sister to respond.

“She shot a guard.” Zayn said finally. Louis’ eyes shot over to Zayn, taking in this information before turning back to Rory.

“It’s all right Rory, you did what you had to, and you saved our lives.” Louis then turned to Caroline and the other two girls. “You all did, thank you.” He then turned back to Rory, wrapping her in a tight hug. As Rory slowly hugged him back Zayn was a little thrown off at the display of affection. He’d known Louis as a hardened, emotionless killer, so seeing him be like this with Rory, and then Caroline, was odd. As Louis’ attention turned to his girlfriend Rory’s hand slowly slid over before squeezing Zayn’s tightly, a faint smile on her lips.

They both knew they couldn’t do anything here, not with Louis two feet in front of them, but the moment he had the chance Zayn was going to kiss Rory as long as it took to make up for the time he’d been gone. He wanted to feel her body against his, hold her in his arms, but he had to wait. It would, after all, be pretty pointless for the girls to bust them out only for Louis to kill him.

▲ ▼ ▲


That night the van sat parked at a small motel, only a few miles from the border of Mexico. They all nine sat in Caroline and Louis’ room, wondering what to do. “There’s no way we’re going to be able to just cross the border, they’ll know you guys are fugitives. And with the van like that…” Caroline trailed off, pressing her lips together.

“Does the Viche have any friends south of the border?” Rory asked, turning to a dark eyed brunette. Zayn remembered she’d introduced herself as Gianna, and seemed to have quite the intel about the Viche. Zayn wondered if maybe she was part of the family, but quickly dismissed it. If she was that high up then Enzo would come looking for her, and they would never be able to sleep peacefully again. She sighed, combing one of her hands through her hair.

“Yes, but they would tell Enzo where we are.”

“So? Wouldn’t he be happy we busted out?” The blonde boy, Niall asked.

“No.” All eyes turned to the dark eyed brunette man who sat brooding in the corner. Zayn remembered him telling him the whole thing was a set up, and knew that he might just be right. The man, Liam, let his eyes fall to each and every person before he finally spoke. “He’ll just hunt us down because the job was a set up.”

“What?” Gianna asked, her eyes wide. “He would never-”

“On the contrary.” Liam interrupted. “Think about it. Why would he have a cleaner, two hit men, a card counter, and a strip club owner pull a bank job? He has people for that.”

“He’s right.” The brunette with bright blue eyes, who’d introduced herself as Ann, said. “It doesn’t make any sense.”

“That and with all the evidence they had, Enzo would never let us be put away unless that was exactly what he wanted.” Liam finished. “The Viche are no longer our allies.” Gianna jumped up, sending Liam a glare before storming out of the room. Once she’d left Louis sighed, catching everyone’s attention.

“And if us getting out wasn’t enough, having her with us will be.”

“What?” Zayn asked, narrowing his eyes. Louis turned to him, his eyes darting to Rory, who sat beside him. He assessed how much space was between his little sister and his assistant before finally answering Zayn’s question.

“That’s Gianna Mazetti, Enzo’s daughter.” A chorus of nervous gasps and one very loud ‘well fuck’ echoed out through the hotel room before all eyes turned to Rory, Caroline, and Ann.

“Why would you bring her?” Liam demanded, getting to his feet and marching towards Rory, who was closest to him. “The Viche is going to hunt us like dogs because you didn’t fucking think about-” Zayn shot up, slamming his hand on Liam’s chest and glaring at him.

“Back the fuck off.” He snarled. Zayn could feel Louis’ eyes burning a hole in him, but he didn’t care. He wasn’t going to let anyone talk to Rory like that. Liam hesitated before taking a step back, his eyes moving between the three girls.

“Well?”

“When we heard the sentencing we knew we had to do something.” Caroline said. “Rory and I we… we went to see Enzo. To ask him to get you guys out.” Louis’ eyes were wide as he looked between his sister and his girlfriend, both of whom kept their gazes on the floor.

“We were waiting for him when Ann came up to us.” Rory continued. “She said she had been at the trail, could guess what we were doing, and said she’d help us.”

“I told them going to Enzo meant that they’d probably end up as strippers or married off to one of his rivals as a sort of peace treaty deal. It was stupid, and besides, they didn’t need him.”

“Ann explained her plan to us, and as we were going to leave Gianna sort of popped up out of nowhere and said she wanted to help too. She said that-”

“What my father did to you is wrong.” Gianna interrupted, opening the door and stepping inside. “I still don’t think he set you up, but to not bail out his own guys? You all would take a bullet for him and he wouldn’t even lift a finger. I had to help you all.” Her eyes stayed focused on the blue of Niall’s as she spoke, making the young blonde boy flush.

“We’re dead.” Liam said simply. “Even if we get into Mexico Enzo will be after us, always. We’ll never get any peace. Besides, how are we even going to get past the border patrol?”

“Enzo’s not the only one with friends in Mexico.” Harry said simply, sitting up straight against the headboard. Rory had bandaged his head earlier, considering Caroline had been trying so hard to be gentle with the handsome man she’d done nothing to stop the bleeding from the gash on his forehead. Harry smiled at the group of them, flipping his hair out of his face.

“Who?” Louis asked simply.

“A few months back I helped one of my girls get out of the clubs. She was taken when she was little, and that’s just not right. I helped her get into Mexico, back to her family. She can get us across and give us a place to hide out for a few days.” Zayn couldn’t help but notice the look of admiration in Caroline’s eyes as she looked up at him. Louis seemed to notice too as he stood, turning to Harry.

“Call her tonight. We’ll leave whenever she thinks is safest.” Harry simply nodded as Louis turned to the rest of them. “Now, we all need to get some sleep, but they’ve probably found out that we busted out by now, so we’re going to have a lookout up at all times. Zayn you take the first shift, Rory will come get you in a few hours.” Zayn nodded as all of them filed out of Louis and Caroline’s room, Zayn and Rory knowing the pair would probably have a lot of catching up to do.

“Zayn.” Rory whispered as soon as they were far enough away from Louis’ room to know he wouldn’t hear. He turned back, cradling her face in his. “You know, I have a room all to myself.” She said, a smile on her plump lips. Zayn grinned, unable to take his eyes off her for even a moment.

“Lead the way.” He cooed. But before she could even take one step Zayn scooped her up into his arms and walked her over to her room as she giggled, sliding the key. The moment the door was closed he pressed his lips to hers, not failing to notice that she tasted like freedom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashlee again c:
How will the group get across the border?
Will they escape the Viche?
Stay tuned to find out!