Opposites Attract

What Is Love?

Lea’s POV:

What is love? Is it a thing, a feeling, an action, a meaningless word? These are the things that I wonder about late at night. My name is Lea Grass and I am 18. I have my twin sister, Candace, and my best friends, Laurie and Clara. We couldn’t be any closer if we tried. I’ve had two boyfriends in my life and they were both jerks. This is what I get for being a cheerleader I guess, at least that’s what my mom says. Of course she’s joking, she loves that Candace and I are cheerleaders. My dad doesn’t really care. He’s around, but he works so much that he doesn’t see us much. I have to give him props though because he hasn’t missed a performance yet.

“Sis, get your butt moving. We have school in an hour. We have one more semester of senior year!” She yells. We just turned 18 yesterday, January 9.

“I’ll be right there.” I yell finishing my make-up.

“Don’t you want to see Laur and Clar?” She asks and I run out of the bathroom.

“Here I am. Why are you so slow? Get your butt moving.” I laugh and run to the car. Today is my day to drive. I swing in the lot and run out of the car.

“Lea! We missed you!” Laurie yells when I run inside.

“I missed you girls, too. Candace will be right in.” I kind of left her out there with our bags.

“Here, sis.” She drops the bag at my feet.

“Love ya, Cand.” She sticks her tongue out at me.

“Laurie, Clara, it’s so good to see you.” We all group hug.

“Lea, we missed you!” I turn to see Zach Porter and Cameron Quiseng standing behind me.

“What do you want?” I yell at them.

“Hey, just trying to be nice.” He and Cameron walk off.

“I hate him!” I yell and it echoes. Zach has been a jerk to me since ninth grade. I hate that kid more than anyone can ever imagine. He is the worst person on this planet and Cameron is just like him, only a little bit nicer.

“Hey, breathe. He’s gone now.” Candace puts her hand on my shoulder and I take a deep breath. I look at Laurie, but she won’t do anything because she’s so in love with Cameron.

“Laur, I don’t hate you for loving him.”

“I know you don’t, but seeing how Zach acts around you there’s nothing that stops Cameron from acting like that towards any of us.” I know it breaks her heart.

“No, he won’t. He isn’t like Zach, they’re just friends.” I see Zach and Cameron talking to a few other guys. The guys are in some band with their friend, Michael Martinez; he goes to our rival school.

“Don’t even look at them.” Clara tells me and I look back to my friends.

“I wasn’t.” They look at me, knowing I was. “Sorry, I can’t help it.” We get our schedules and I have third hour with all of them and last hour with Laurie. I walk in to my first class and see them.

“Hey, it’s Lea again. You gonna say high for real this time?”

“No, Zach. I won’t say hi to you or Cameron.” He grabs my schedule before I can do anything.

“Darn, only one class with me. You poor soul.” I walk to my desk, thankful it’s only one hour.

***************************************************