Opposites Attract

Broken

Zach’s POV:

“You always find a way to screw up my life, Elizabeth! Why can’t you just leave me alone for once in your pathetic life?” I just lost the one girl I really have loved.

“I’m sorry, I had no idea.” She is faking innocence.

“You had every idea! I told you it was my anniversary with her so you knew I loved her!”

“Zach, you only got a summer with me. Don’t you ever wonder what it would be like if we tried again?” I hate this girl right now.

“Yes, I used to, but not anymore! I love Lea and now I’ll always wonder about my life with her. I stopped loving you a long time ago.” I walk off to go find Lea. I’m sure Candace took her home.

“Well, if it isn’t Zach Cheater. Oh, wait, your last name’s still Porter. Sorry, I forgot that for a second.” It is pretty clear Candace hates me and I don’t blame her.

“Please just let me explain.” I beg her.

“You explained enough at the park. Your lips were on a girl’s lips. And that girl wasn’t my sister.” She puts her hand on her hip.

“She kissed me, I broke it off.” Lea walks down.

“I believe that, the kiss doesn’t bother me.” I can see she’s been crying and I run to hug her but she pushes me away.

“Do you still hate me?” I ask her, my heart breaking.

“Yes, Zach. You lied to me about where you were. Did you not think I trusted you or something?”

“I just didn’t want you to feel threatened by her.”

“You think I’m the jealous type?” She’s yelling and now I know that was the wrong thing to say.

“Yes, no, I don’t know. I was stupid to do that and I’m sorry. Can’t you just forgive me?”

“Sure, I’ll forgive you.” I let out my breath. “When you can go back in time and not lie to me.” She goes upstairs, crying.

“I think you should go now.” Clara and Laurie walk out from the kitchen.

“Can’t you girls talk to her?” Surely someone here is on my side.

“No, Zach. You really screwed up here. If you can’t fix it then neither can we.” They go upstairs with ice cream for her.

“Let me guess, they have stupid romance movies up there?”

“Get out of here now.” Candace is so quiet it’s scary. I start walking with no place in mind. I can’t believe I screwed up so bad. My life sucks and there is nothing I can do to fix it. I finally end up at home.

“Zach, where’s Lea?” Mom asks.

“She broke up with me. I told her I had a family dinner tonight when I was actually meeting Elizabeth. I just didn’t want Lea to feel like I loved her less.”

“Wait, you lied to her and assumed she would be jealous?” Apparently all girls think alike.

“I didn’t know what I was doing at the time!”

“Calm down, Zach. I wish I could tell you this can be fixed, but I can’t. It just doesn’t work like that. All you can do is hope she forgives you.” And that is what I do all weekend, stupidly hope.

********************************************