Opposites Attract

Drama in Twintown

Lea’s POV:

Sunday night my mom comes in.

“Lea, do you have a Porter I can borrow?” I look up.

“What?”

“Do you have a Porter?” One of us is crazy right now.

“Excuse me?” She’s looking at me like I’m crazy.

“A quarter. You know, the thing that’s 25 cents.”

“Oh, yeah, I have one.” I reach in my wallet and give it to her.

“Thank you. You’re father and I are going out, we’ll be Zach later.”

“What?” I ask again.

“We’ll be back later. You know, like The Terminator. Lea, are you feeling alright?”

“No, mom. I thought you asked for a Porter then said you would be Zach.” She sits next to me and holds me close.

“Hey, it’ll be fine. You’ll get over him eventually. Remember you used to hate him once.” She reminds me.

“But I don’t hate him now! Well, I do, but not for the same reason. I’ve already loved him now. I can't go back to hating him.”

“Don’t let his white horse come back around. He lied to you and didn’t trust you! He isn’t the right guy for you.” Candace is standing in the door.

“You don’t get it! I love him more than I’ve loved anyone!”

“You don’t even know what love is! You’ve had so many boyfriends in your life!” I know what she meant to say.

“I’ve only had two boyfriends!” Mom walks out, not sure what to do. Candace and I have never fought like this before.

“Zach was your third! You don’t know what love is!” She looks like she might slap me.

“I do know! I love Zach and no one seems to understand that. Laurie and Clara do, but they know what it’s like to have a boyfriend!” Candace’s eyes get big.

“Sorry I’m not the most attractive person in the world! One day my prince will come and show you up!” She walks out, then comes back 10 minutes later.

“I’m sorry!” We both yell and cry.

“I shouldn’t have said those things, Cand.”

“No, it’s okay, Lea. I was completely wrong, too.” I hear mom and dad leave. “You will be okay in time. You will find the right guy, I promise you he’s out there.”

“I’m really starting to doubt that.” I tell her.

“Hey, at least you’ve had someone want to date you.”

“Candace, guys have wanted to date you.” She laughs and we remember 10th grade.

“Yes, all of those chess club kids. All four of them were just so attractive.”

“With their drool and taped up glasses.” I remind her.

“Don’t forget the one who had his lip stuck in his braces all the time.” We’re laughing and it’s like the fight never happened.

“Good times.” I say.

“Lea, I do love you. I only want what’s best for my sister.”

“I know, Cand. I know you’ll be there for me even if I don’t want you to. Oh, and Candace, you are attractive. You do look like me after all.” She laughs.

“Don’t forget which one of us is 10 minutes older.” She walks out and I look at my phone. 4 texts from Zach and 4 missed calls. That boy is desperate and part of my past.

***********************************