Opposites Attract

Moving On

Zach’s POV:

I walk in to class Monday and wait for Lea to get here.

“Hey, Lea.” I walk up to her and she won’t even look at me.

“Move, I need to get to my seat. The bell is going to ring soon and I would rather not be late. You’ve screwed up my life enough.”

“At least we’re talking here.” She wouldn’t talk to me all weekend.

“Don’t talk to me again, Porter. I really don’t want to hear it.”

“How can I ignore you when I still love you? Don’t you still love me?” I just want a sign of life from her. I know she hasn’t given up on me yet.

“Of course I do! Yesterday my mom asked me for a Porter and said she would be Zach later.”

“I’m confused.”

“I was hearing things, you idiot!” Everyone looks at us. “Mind your own business, you freaks!” She hits the desk and yells out.

“Maybe you should go home.” I go for her bag and she swats my hand away.

“No, I’ll be fine. You are my past now.” She’s wearing her cheerleading uniform.

“Do you have a performance today?” I ask changing the subject.

“No, I just wanted to wear this for the fun of it. See if I could look fat in it.”

“Are you still upset over that?” I haven’t called her that since the beginning of the semester.

“Yes, I am. Sorry you kind of hurt me every time you called me that. For 3 years you called me fat.” The bell rings and I know there’s no chance in talking to her now. I look at Cameron and he shakes his head.

“Can I do something to fix this?” I ask her after the teacher passes us.

“No, Zach, there’s no nothing you can do. You really hurt me by not trusting me. I would have understood if you told me.” She’s close to tears.

“I’ll do anything to take it back. Please, give me another chance.”

“I really want to but I can’t. Your white horse isn’t going to have me again.” I really wish she would stop quoting that song. I heard it right after we started dating now I hear it all the time.

“You have a few assignments I want done by the end of class. You have all hour to work alone. I’ll turn some music on.” The first song is White Horse. Lea gets up and runs out.

“Zach, can you tell me what is wrong with her?” The teacher asks.

“It’s all my fault.”

“Do you want to go talk to her?”

“It won’t work. I’ve tried and there’s nothing I can do.” Cameron moves over by me.

“Zach, you need to give up on her.”

“Cam, if only one person still believes in me and her, that one person will be me. I am never giving up on her.” I see her outside the room sobbing and I want to take her pain away, but I caused it.

“You could talk to her.” He tells me. I turn away from the door.

“No, if she wants to move on then I guess that is what we will do.”

*********************************************