Opposites Attract

Mrs. Porter

Lea’s POV:

I slowly walk back in to class a few minutes later and do my work without looking at Zach. He says nothing to me and I say nothing to him. I guess we’re back to normal. I end up going home the next hour.

“Hey, Lea, how are you doing?” Candace pulls me in for a hug while Laurie and Clara sit on my floor after school.

“I know what love is now; it’s a meaningless thing.”

“Don’t say that, L. You know you don’t mean it.” Candace looks like she might break and I feel like I might.

“But I do mean it!”

“You poor thing.” Laurie and Clara join the hug.

“Clar, if you have a date with Mikey you can go. You girls deserve to be happy.” They really like each other. Candace also got asked out and has a date in a few hours.

“No, we won’t leave you.”

“Cand, let me help you get ready. It might make me feel better.” She shoves Laurie and Clara out then drags me to her room.

“Okay, what am I wearing tonight?” I go to her closet and find the perfect thing.

“These jeans make your butt look amazing and this shirt will not have him looking in your eyes.” I smile and she laughs.

“You are the best twin ever.” I leave and let her get ready. She leaves and I’m alone. My parents are out with friends. I could call Zach, but we aren’t together anymore. I make a call.

“Mrs. Porter, is Zach home?” I ask.

“No, do you want me to have him call you?”

“Actually, I want to come over and talk to you. I just need someone to talk to.” The tears are falling.

“How about I come over there? Then if Zach gets home early you won’t have to see him.”

“Thank you.” I say and the tears come heavier. She opens the door and hugs me.

“How are you?”

“I feel terrible! I can’t take him back after what he did, but I don’t want to let him go.”

“I know it’s tough, but it will get better. He won’t give up on you.”

“That’s what worries me the most. I just wish he would move on so I could. I keep hearing his name or something that reminds me of him.”

“Which is completely normal right now. Slowly you’ll forget about him and it won’t hurt as bad.”

“Now if only that were true.”

“It is, I promise you.” She stands up.

“Are you going so soon?” I don’t want to be alone again, but I can’t keep her here.

“No, I am going to get your coat. We’re going shopping and it will be on me no matter what you say.” I guess I can’t really complain.

“Thank you, Kate.” She smiles and throws me my coat.

“Hurry up, we can beat the dinner crowds.” It’s already 6 so I guess we better hurry.

“But I haven’t had anything to eat.”

“Eat a granola bar.” She throws it at me and I realize I’m still not hungry. “Yeah, I didn’t think you would be.” I have two hours to shop, unless she has to be back earlier.

**********************************************