Opposites Attract

Slowly Accepting

Lea’s POV:

I run to third hour and sit with my friends.

“Spill everything!” Candace yells. “My twin senses tell me something big has happened.”

“Or maybe it was her text that said get to third hour fast I have something important to tell you.” Laurie laughs.

“Shut up. I have first hour with Zach and Cameron.”

“No way, they can’t do that to you! You need the most concentration possible!” Clara starts saying things that don’t make sense while trying to be a good friend.

“Wait, it gets better, I have to sit next to him.”

“No freaking way!” They yell.

“Just wait, there's more. I yelled at him in front of the class.” They are speechless.

“You have the worst luck.” Candace finally speaks up.

“I know! At least that’s the only class I have with him.” This is going to be a long semester. January and February already suck.

“You’ll make it through because you have us.” Laurie puts her arm around me.

“Heck yeah you do.” Carla puts her arm on the other side of me.

“You always have your big sis looking out for you.” Candace doesn’t need to hug me, I know she means it. She is the best sister in the world. I don’t think we’ve ever had a fight.

“No way, this can’t be happening.” Laurie whispers and we turn to see Cameron walking in, late.

“There’s one open seat by her. Go seat there.” Our teacher, Mr. Martin, points to the seat next to Laurie. I smile at her and she hides her face with her hair.

“So, Lea, are you ungrounded?” Laurie asks me trying not to look at Cameron.

“Yes, I am. We are still having our back to school shopping spree.”

“Thank God, I need some new clothes.”

“I think you look good.” Cameron says and I try not to laugh.

“Cameron, we don’t talk to you because your friend is a mega jerk. And this is me trying to be nice.” Candace spits out.

“I figured as much.” He turns around to talk to some kid I don’t really know.

“Cand, why did you say that?” Laurie whispers, but it’s clear she is upset.

“Just because Lea is fine with your liking him doesn’t mean I am.”

“Don’t be so bitter over it. She can like who she wants.” I tell Candace.

“Whatever. If she gets her heartbroken it’s on you.”

“And me because I support her, too.” Clara says.

“Fine, go with that. Cameron, apparently these three don’t hate you.” He kind of waves at us then goes back to his conversation. We get to last hour and I sit by Laurie.

“Hey, ignore Candace. She just doesn’t want to see you get hurt and I don’t blame her. If something happens between you two then I’ll be so happy for you.”

“This is why you’re my best friend.” She hugs me.

“Hey, we’ve been close since I bit you.”

“And then I hit you with my rattle.” We laugh remembering the stories our parents told us about how we first met.

“Oh daycare.” We both laugh.

“Am I going to need to move you two again this year?” Mrs. Allen walks up to us, smiling.

“No, we’ll try to be good this year.” She laughs and walks off.

*******************************************