Status: This is for a contest.

Cherry Blossoms of April

a Terrier, a Gurney and a White Sleeve

Jeremy was a simply kind of guy; he liked long walks on the beach, playing sports and the smell of fresh baked cherry pie. He wasn’t that tall, and he had ruffled dark brown hair that never wanted to stay in the same place at one time. He was well known for his astounding collection of coloured hoodies and matching sweatpants and was rarely seen wearing anything different. His eyes were a deep blue that sparkled like snowflakes when amused. He was rather short for some guys; he only reached about 5’4” and was really scrawny.

He wasn’t that popular in school compared to most of the jocks; his school was known best for their astounding football players that could out beat even University teams when given the chance, but Jeremy was so short and thin that he could never make the vicious tryouts. He was more into basketball and cross-country anyway. It’s not that he was unpopular, just not popular. He had some really cool friends but he had to move a lot.

Jeremy’s mother had died of lung cancer when he was just a baby and his father had given him up for adoption soon after that. He was in the foster care system and had been to a total of 12 schools up to now. He didn’t mind much; he was good at making an impression and made friends easily. Unfortunately he was also sick a lot, so he spent a lot of time out of school too. The doctors think that there was birth defect of some sort given to him during birth, but after so much testing on him they finally gave up trying to label it. Because of this though, no family could afford to adopt him and take on the medical bills or get out of work keep care of him; so home to home he went like a hot potato being passed around by a group of singing schoolchildren.

He was happy, though, Jeremy was an optimist. Though he often had to stick out for some practices, he always held through the games. He once said he’d have to have a leg hacked off to disappoint his team like that. Honestly, that was just the type of person he was.

Today he was dressed in a grey jacket and sweatpants combination, his hair was wet and sweaty from the run and he slicked it back with his hands, “So, Olivia, what are you doing up in that tree? You look so cold.”

Olivia gave a soft grimace of sadness, “Well… I um… I like this tree. It’s pretty.”

“But cold?”

She thought for a moment, “Not right now.”

Jeremy’s brow furrowed, but didn’t press on.

“So what are you doing out here?”

“Oh, I was chasing the white rabbit…” he trailed off, realizing the rabbit had run off. “I’m just on a run. It’s peaceful out here; easy to clear my head.” He walked to the base of the tree, gazing up at a low hanging branch of the tree to a cluster of perfect little blossoms.

Olivia giggled her laugh as soft and light as the chirping of the sparrows and starlings from the trees. Her eyes gave off a mischievous sparkle as she spoke, “You haven’t been reading too much of Alice in Wonderland, have you?”

Jeremy laughed, “I know how it sounds, but really I just wanted to find my way down the rabbit hole.” He said jokingly. Olivia smiled and chuckled with him, her expression soft and curious at the same time.

“Why would the woods be relaxing, though? Don’t most people find the forest creepy and scary?” she crawled onto a branch closer to the strange boy so she could listen better. She lounged on it like a big cat would in the jungle, balancing with ease even with her hand lazily from the tree to rock back and forth with the wind. “There are coyotes out here, you know.” She whispered.

Jeremy shook his head, “Nah, not me.” He puffed out his chest dramatically like Tarzan and drummed his knuckles on it “I’m not scared of anything.” He said in a fake, gruff voice. Olivia frowned slightly, turning away from him to stare the sun as it began to approach the west.

Jeremy noticed she was a little upset, but was confused to why. There was something about this girl he couldn’t place his finger on. He went to try and pat her hand comfortingly but she flinched away immediately and tucked her hand under her chin instead. “Are you afraid of the woods?” he asked.

Olivia bit her lip and then shook her head, “No, I’ve always loved the forest. I practically live in it; my house is not too far from here; just through that pathway.” She pointed to small trail into the darker part of the forest, though before she had pointed it out Jeremy hadn’t even noticed it before; vegetation had already started to claim it.

“Maybe I should go…” Jeremy began to get up and wipe his pants again, “It’s getting late.”

“Wait!” Olivia cried, her voice echoing through the forest like a bird’s warning cry. “Please don’t leave me.” There was urgency in her voice that made Jeremy shiver.

“I have to get home…” he said sadly. He didn’t want to leave her all alone but he knew his foster mother would be furious if he got home late. “Here, what if I promise to come back? Do you want me to go to your place?”

Olivia quickly shook her head ‘no’, “Meet me here… please?” she asked, sadness in her eyes.

Jeremy nodded and began to walk away, “Wait!” she cried once more. He turned, looking at her with a concerned expression. “I don’t even know your name.” she said quietly.

“It’s Jeremy.”

---

Day to day, Jeremy visited Olivia. For two weeks the sun rose, Jeremy came and the sun set. That was her day, she woke anticipating his return and at night she watched the moon like a wolf; thinking about his gentle nature and light humour. She had nothing else in her life other than the boy’s heartwarming blue eyes that dazzled brighter than any star.

Jeremy grew more and more curious and concerned about the young girl in the tree. She never came down and whenever he tried to get near her she climbed higher, leaving him on the ground. She always wore the same tattered white dress, but she never did she look cold. He began to become sick again and missed a lot of school now, but managed to get out and see Olivia most of the time. She was the best part of his day, after all. They were the best parts of each other’s day.

His foster father walked him to the entrance of the path with their little terrier named Smithy, “You sure you’ll be okay?” he asked.

“Yeah, I know these paths like the back of my hand now.” He said, giving a slight cough. “I’ll just be a while.”

His dad nodded, “Okay, son. I’ll be here when you get back.” Smithy gave an ‘arf’ of farewell. Jeremy smiled at the little dog and stuffed his hands in the red pockets of his hoodie.

Back in the clearing with the cherry tree Olivia waited, wringing her hands in anticipation.

“Hey Olivia!” Jeremy called; his voice cracking slightly from his sore throat.

“Jer!” she chirped, brightening up instantly.

Jeremy walked over and sat down at the foot of the tree, looking up at her with twinkling eyes. “What’s up?”

“The sky.” She joked, “What about you?”

He shrugged, “I’m tired, I guess. I think I have stiff muscles or something cause my shoulder is killing me. The doctor has me taking some wicked medicine; it makes me kind of…” He yawned, his back sliding down the tree as his eyes drooped. “sleepy.” He placed his hand on his forehead like an actress fainting, “maybe I’ll just have a nap now…”

Olivia giggled and slipped down the tree, slick as a cobra. “Wake up, Jer!” she laughed leaning down on the dramatic guy.

He opened his eyes, “Boo!” he said, though his face was still pale his eyes still sparkled with that gleam of the galaxy from far away. “So what have you been up to?” he asked, warming his hands by rubbing them together. “Anything exciting?”

Olivia laughed, “’course not! You’re the one with an exciting life! Tell me, how’s Smithy?”

Jeremy shrugged, wiped his hands on his red sweatpants and glanced at her with a smile before turning back to the clouds, “He’s fine, but still a bit of an idiot; he ran into the glass door this morning trying to chance a squirrel.” Olivia giggled, and they laughed together as he tried to explain, “Janet was so freaked she wanted to send him to the animal emergency hospital; but he was fine. Really.” Jeremy ran his fingers through his hair, as he liked to do. They laughed together until Jeremy broke into a cough. Not just a dry throat cough, but a deep, painful cough. He clasped his hands over his mouth, his eyes squinted tightly.

Because of his constant weak health, Olivia was used to hearing him cough and eventually learned to stop being so concerned all the time. But as it grew in intensity Olivia realized it wasn’t just a simple cough. She swallowed hard and leaned over the branch to see him better, “J… J… Jer?” she stuttered, “Are… are you okay?”

He couldn’t reply, his breath already so short. He flung himself forward, coughing red blood into the ground like bleeding cherries. Olivia gasped, screaming, “Help! Help! Please, can anybody hear me?!”

She climbed up the tree faster than bird taking wing, going the highest she could and screaming until the tree shook in the eerily still wind. Tears streamed down her face like waterfalls and she hollered at the top of her lungs. It was no use, no one could hear her. She slipped down her tree branch and waved down to Jeremy, who was still coughing up a fit and spraying deep red blood over the soft, new grass.

“Jeremy! Jeremy you have to call. Scream, Jeremy, you need help. No one can hear me!” he was laid on the grass, his eyes fluttering open and shut. Slowly he raised his head and hoarsely called out, “Richard? Mr. Keith? Smithy?” he coughed, “H… help!”

Mr. Richard Keith, Jeremy’s foster father, came bursting through the greenery. “Jeremy? Jeremy?! Oh my lord!” he hovered over the weak boy, unsure how to help. He pulled out his cellphone and dialled 911. Olivia sat on a tree branch and watched helplessly as Jeremy flew in and out of consciousness. Soon a gurney came with paramedics and they carried him away. Olivia sat alone on the tree, her heart heavy and alone, as she waited for him. Together, she and the tree cried pink cherry blossoms.

---

Jeremy’s eyes fluttered awake. He was in a hospital bed, and he had been heavily sedated. This was a familiar scene to him, but usually he could remember entering the hospital before awaking in it. He tried to remember why he was here, but his mind was blurred with drugs and his sight was foggy. He looked around and saw white. He saw white everywhere. The room smelled of plastic and chemically sterilized gloves. The unnaturalness of the room made his eyes water and his breath short. He ran his fingers through his hair and slowly his senses returned to his body.

His foster parents were asleep in chairs beside him, and slowly Mr. Keith began to stir. He saw Jeremy and lightly shook his wife to wake her too. She gasped when she saw him, rushing to his side. Janet Keith was a bit of a nervous Nelly. “Jeremy, are you awake? Are you okay?” she rubbed his forehead, which just sent ripples of discomfort through his stiff body. Janet was an elementary school teacher, and was used to dealing with scraped knees and stuff, but not someone like Jeremy.

Mr. Keith stood at the end of the bed, he was silent and quiet. He must blame himself…, he thought; then he remembered. “Where’s Olivia?” he demanded.

Neither foster parent spoke, just glanced at each other. “Where is Olivia?” he repeated. “She came, didn’t she? She was right there.”

“Son… You were alone in that clearing when I found you.” Said Mr. Keith with a concerned gaze. “There was no girl there.”

“Yes, there was. In the cherry tree!” he demanded, “I saw her, I talked to her!”

Janet frowned and wiped his forehead, “Poor boy, I’m sure she was there in your dreams.”

Jeremy pushed her hand away, “No, she was there. She’s my friend.” He looked from wife to husband, his eyes serious, “Didn’t you see her? She called you, she was screaming for help when I was coughing.”

“Son, I heard you in the clearing. You were calling for me, not a girl in a cherry blossom tree.”

Jeremy couldn’t believe it, had she hidden when Mr. Keith came? Why did no one notice her? His brow furrowed and he pushed his head into the soft pillows, thinking.

Soon, a doctor came in to speak with Jeremy. He sat on the side of his bed and spoke seriously to him for a good hour. Everyone in the room was crying when he left.

---

Jeremy was dressed in a navy blue outfit. He was really down since his trip to the hospital, and his foster parents were becoming annoyingly strict to him. He now had to carry around a phone everywhere and stay inside most of the time. He wasn’t good being so confined like that. He had to be back in exactly an hour then go for an appointment at the hospital.

He walked into the clearing with his hands stuffed in his pockets like pizza sauce in a panzerotti. Olivia was waiting, “Jeremy, thank god you’re okay-!”

“Why didn’t you come to the hospital with me?” he interrupted, tears forming in his eyes.

Olivia stuttered, “J…Jer I…” she swallowed hard, her own eyes reddening, “I couldn’t, Jer.”

“Why? I needed you!” he sobbed, running his fingers through his hair again, pulling on them like weeds as stress, anxiety and fear took over. “You were right there, and my foster parents never even saw you!” he wiped his face, shaking his head.

“B… because… I… I can’t tell you.”

“I don’t understand. I thought that was what friends are for; sticking by each other.”

“Th…they are…” she sputtered, sobbing along with him. “I… I wanted to…”

Jeremy approached her, “Then why didn’t you?”

“I couldn’t…” Was all she could say for now. “I’m sorry!”

Jeremy shook his head, “That doesn’t help!” he yelled. He wasn’t angry per se, mostly he was scared. He was scared for himself and for her. “I needed you. I needed you there when I was being carried into the hospital, I needed you there when they gave me needles and shots and drugs and most of all, I needed you when that doctor told me I was going to die!” he was hysterically crying, completely uncontrollable. “They say I have lung cancer.”

They stood in silence like trees in a forest, unable to say anything.

Olivia wiped her cheek and went to place her hand on his shoulder, “Jer… I…” her hand passed through like a hot knife through a melted stick of butter and she jerked it backwards. This was why; why she couldn’t do anything. For that moment she had forgot. Tears spilled even heavier down her cheeks and the branches of the trees swayed, almost nearly violently.

Jer on the other hand turned pale; or at least paler than he had been before, looking from his shoulder to her, unable to speak. “Y… you… I… n… no…. what…..” he shook his head violently and backed away, completely confused. His sparkling eyes demanded an answer from her, not knowing at all what just happened.

“I… I wanted to tell you b… but… I didn’t know how…”

Jeremy ran. He ran straight into the woods and didn't get too far until he slipped and rolled down a hill, becoming covered in leaves until he finally landed in a ditch. He could hear Olivia’s voice screaming for him like breeze through the trees, but his body was so stiff he could barely move; let alone scramble back up or attempt to reply. He pushed himself off the ground but stopped, petrified with fear.

Sticking up from the ground was a branch in the shape of a crude cross; it had purposely stuck in the ground, albeit without much effort. The whole ditch was filled with rotten or rotting leaves; and they weren't the only thing. A single withered hand could be seen from under the leaves, unmoving. The only recognizable thing about it was the ripped white sleeve of a girl’s dress.

Jeremy ran.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope I didn't disappoint you too much, the final chapter should be up in a few days to a week.