Status: Like, Comment, Follow me, any suggestions feel free to say them!

World War 3

Pregnant...at a time like this?!?

Here is what she is wearing>>>> (http://www.polyvore.com/ww3/set?id=68928566 )

They all just stared after me as I hurried towards the prison. As soon as they thought I was out of earshot they all began chattering away about me. I scoffed at this silly behavior and frankly thought it was a waste of their time and energy to discuss anything about me. We were in a time of war and great depression and the last thing we should be doing is starting frivolous gossip about the new girl. Since this disease had escaped and I found out about it the hard way, I’ve had to toughen up a lot. I can’t afford to let my guard down which is why I find it best just not to get attached to anybody new.

I was over half way to the doors of the prison when somebody grabbed me by the arm…bad move. My body went into survival mode and I unsheathed my machete and turned to face them. I held it to their throat and I realized that it wasn’t a walker, but instead it was one of the group members. I took a guess that he was the leader since he was wearing a sheriff uniform. He had short, dark brown hair and eyes to match. His eyes held a lot of sorrow and anger. He extended his hand for me to shake “the names Rick.” I hesitated, names were usually on a need to know basis I took in a deep breath before speaking “the names Jennifer Williams, Jenny to the people that used to be my friends” I gave his hand a hefty handshake before turning on my heel to start for the prison again.

Once more I was stopped but this time they stepped in front of me, at least they’re fast learners. It was Rick again; this man could not take a hint. I glared at him and continued to press the bandage to my wound. I was beginning to feel a little dizzy from the loss of blood. My vision was starting to blur and my legs were shaking, so I decided just to say something “look…Rick I would love to stay and chat but I have to get inside and get this” I pointed to the blood that was trickling down my arm from where the bandage was “sewed up before I go into shock from blood loss so if you would excuse me.” I readjusted the bag I was holding and once again moved around Rick to go in the prison.

My head was throbbing and the room I was in was beginning to spin around me, and it was only a matter of minutes until my body goes into shock. I finally stumbled my way into a room that was in the very front of the prison. I pulled out my medical supply kit and got to work sewing my wound. I grabbed the alcohol that I kept for emergencies and took a large gulp to numb the pain I was about to go through. Meanwhile the group that I had met outside had made their way inside where they began watching me. The old man of the group stepped up and spoke in a soft, calm, fatherly voice “would you like any help miss I am trained for stuff like this” he said motioning to my arm with a nod of his head. I gave a feigned smile and shook my head no “I am a Doctor I’ll manage but thank you anyways.” I held the needle and thread in one hand and poured a small amount of alcohol over the wound to sterilize it. Letting out a deep, shaky breath I steadied my hand and sunk the needle through my flesh over and over until the hole was sealed.

I took another swig of the alcohol before placing it back into my pack. As soon as I turned around I was greeted by wondering, smiling eyes. “What” I questioned the looks I was getting and once more Rick stepped forward and started the questioning. Tonight was going to be a long one. I hopped up onto the table and took a seat to prepare for any questions they might have. “You mean to tell me that you’re an actual doctor, with a degree and everything.” I let out a sigh “yes, I am an actual doctor I graduated from medical school at the age of twenty-four and then I traveled with the army for about four years and then this happened” I made a gesture to the room we were now sitting in. They all still stared at me and I was getting to my breaking point.

Rick turned to the girl on his right who was now crying. He pulled her into a hug and began telling her “see I told you everything would be alright.” She just nodded her head as she sobbed into his shirt. Now I was becoming even more confused, that is until I noticed that the woman’s stomach was extended. She was pregnant, and then everything in my head clicked. That is why they were staring at me when I told them I was a doctor, and that is also why they broke down in tears. This was turning into a really bad situation. They would want me to stay and I travel alone his is how I have stayed alive for so long while everyone else around me died.

I made the mistake once before of letting someone travel with me her name was Jamie and she was only fifteen years old and one day a heard of walkers came through the small town that we were currently residing in. she wasn’t paying attention and by the time I saw the walker it was too late, it had already taken a chunk out of her neck. She screamed as I put an arrow through its head. Its body fell to the ground and I rushed to her side and applied pressure to the now gushing wound. I knew there was no saving her, not now, I held her close in my arms as she convulsed from the fever that was now slowly killing her and changing her into one of those damn walkers. Silently, I let tears trail down my face leaving nothing but salty tracks down my cheeks. Finally, her body went limp and I knew that it was only a matter of minutes before she turned and then it would only be a hollow shell of what she once was. After she turned she sat up and lunged for my neck, but I was quicker. I pulled my machete from its holster on my hip and plunged it into her head until I heard the crack of bone and once more her body went limp, only this time she wouldn’t be coming back.

Memories of that day and of every other horrid day flashed through my mind until someone speaking brought me back to reality. I shook my head to try and clear the haze I was in and spoke up “sorry did you say something…my mind was somewhere else.” My eyes fell to the floor and Rick spoke up “actually yes, you see Jennifer my wife” he nodded to the woman who he was hugging earlier “Lori she’s pregnant.” I cut him off “yeah I noticed and by the looks of it she aint got much longer, I’d say about one month maybe two.” Rick nodded his head “that’s right and you see we don’t have a doctor, so would you think about staying to help with the delivery?” I sighed as all the memories invaded my thoughts. I never stayed with a group, always traveled alone since the accident, but my oath I took as a doctor, trumps any of those feelings. I gave a crooked smile and held my hand out to him “you’ve got yourself a deal.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it! Feel free to give feedback!