The Only Exception

The Only Exception

'When I was younger
I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it'

A young 5 year old Andy observed his father with curious eyes, as he turned his back after saying goodnight. He had been a wreck for a week ever since his mom had left. But Andy didn't know where she went, or when she'd come back. Or that she never would come back. "Daddy?" he asked in a small voice. His dad turned, his eyes red and puffy and voice hoarse. "Yes, Andy?"
"Whens Mommy gonna come back?" he asked innocently, confused as to where she had gone. His dad sighed sadly and shook his head.
"I don't know..." He said before closing the door, leaving Andy alone to his thoughts. Thoughts like: 'Where did mommy go? Why did she leave? And for how long? Who will make me my dinner every night and pack my lunches for school? Who will give me goodnight kisses and read me bedtime stories?' Andy snuggled down into his Batman bed sheets, and slowly drifted off to sleep, unaware that his mother wouldn't be coming back.

'And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist'

Days passed. Then weeks, then months, and then years. 10 years to be exact. It had been 10 years since she left and she was never coming back. He knew that much for sure. But where she had gone and why? He couldn't care less. She had sent he and his dad letters and various emails saying how sorry she was for leaving and saying she missed them and regretted ever leaving. Andy scoffed as he thought over those words. Yeah right. He knew she didn't miss them. He felt like she hated him and you know what? He hated her too. Where was she when he was beaten up all through middle school? Where was she when he had gone through his first (and LAST) breakup? Where had she been all those times that a teenager needed their mother the most? Andy didn't know. And he didn't care. she was never there for him. She was probably out living a new life and forgotten about them already, happily re-married to another guy and had kids who she gave her love and attention too.
Just thinking about this filled Andy with boiling anger and hatred. He stood up from where he had been sitting, and stormed out the door, slamming it as he went.
"Andrew!" His father called through the old screen door. He ignored him, shoving his hands in both pockets and throwing the hood over his mess of newly dyed black hair. He needed to think and clear his head again.
"she never loved me." He mumbled angrily. "she never did and never will." he said, almost shouting this time and kicked the ground.
"Um... are you okay...?" He heard a soft voice and snapped his head up, about to scream at the person for talking to him. But the words got caught in Andys throat when he saw the boy. His long black hair falling perfectly over his shoulders, and just his appearance in general. It was stunning. So stunning, that Andy lost the ability to speak. Andy began scolding himself mentally and almost got angry at himself for falling in love again after swearing to never love again after his first relationship and after his mom left... he was afraid of them leaving like she left him...

'But darlin'
You are the only exception!
You are the only exception!
You are the only exception!
You are the only exception!'

He can't fall in love again. He just can't. Not after his mother. Not after his girlfriend. Not after everything hes been put through, the last thing he needed was to fall in love with a random boy he didn't even know the name of. He just couldn't... but the way he cared enough to ask softened Andys heart a bit....
Maybe... maybe he could be an exception... the only exception...

'Maybe I know, somewhere
Deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways
To make it alone
Or keep a straight face'

Andy shook his head again, remembering the boy was still staring at him, waiting for a reply.
"what?" Andy asked, forgetting the question.
"I asked if you're okay... you seem upset." he frowned.
"Oh...yeah...I'm fine... um, I'm Andy by the way."
"Nice to meet you Andy. I'm Ashley, but call me Ash." He nodded. Andy smiled.
"Nice to meet you too Ash. Um, just out of curiousity... why did you ask if I was okay...? I'm always out here screaming and kicking stuff and all that, clearing my head and not once has ANYONE bothered to ask... so why did you?"
"Why did I ask? I dunno. Theres something about you that intrigues me." He shrugged. "I don't know if that makes sense. And I care about everyone. Even strangers." he laughed. Andy tried to laugh along with him, but it was obvious it was half-hearted. "Okay, seriously whats wrong?"
"I... I just..." he didn't know how to put it. Did he love Ashley? After only a minute of knowing him, was it even possible? he sighed. "Okay. Well, i think I fell in love with someone, but I really don't want to fall in love with anyone, because after my mom leaving me and my dad when i was five, 10 years ago, and my girlfriend cheating and leaving me 2 years ago, I had promised never to love anyone again because of the pain that came with it." Andy bit his lip. Had he really just told that to a stranger?
"Its okay, Andy. I'm sure whoever this person is, that you'll work it out with them." He smiled.
"But i just met them..." he whispered.

'And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable, distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that I'm content
With loneliness
Because none of it was ever worth the risk'

After realizing he had said that, he slapped a hand over his mouth and observed Ashleys expression. His face had paled and his eyes wide.
"Andy I... I don't-"
"See? This is what I'm talking about. Falling in love is pointless! It never lasts and it always ends in pain and tears and more scars!" Andy screamed, exposing his wrist that was riddled with fading scars from the past. "It never works for me! I fall in love, and that person gives me just the slightest bit of hope that I believe them when they say it'll work out and be okay in the end. But you wanna know something? It never does. No. It never. Ever. Does. And I've just proven to myself that no one can ever love me back so there. Thats whats wrong. My mom left because of me, I know she did. Shes never ONCE bothered to even send me a card on my birthday or christmas. I can barely remember what she looks like and what I do know is from the pictures my dad still has!"
Ashleys jaw dropped at the sudden outburst.
"But I-"
"Oh just do it. Go ahead. Get it over with. Hit me, hurt me, break my spirits. Just like everyone else does." he mumbled.

'Well, you are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception'

Ashley looked into Andys icy blue eyes that were filled with hurt and fear. He wasn't angry at all, Ashley realized. He wasn't ever angry, or mad. He was hurt. And he was scared. Ashley, without thinking, pressed his lips to Andys.

'I've got a tight grip on reality, but I can't
Let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving in the morning, when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream
Ooh Ooh... '

"ash...?" he whispered after Ashley pulled away.
"Andy...I know you you're hurting... I know you've been through a lot... but I think I feel the same way you do for me... I can't explain it, I just can't.... I don't know what it is... Love at first sight? no... this isn't first sight... i've seen you here a lot, shouting and crying... I was worried about you..."
Andy bit his lip and leaned in for another kiss, getting pushed back by Ashley.
"Let me finish." he laughed. "Listen, I know you think that love and reality don't mix, but... it can if you really try... I'm not letting go of whats in front of me and I never will." Ashley nodded, then gave Andy the kiss he wanted.

'You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
You are the only exception
And I'm on my way to believing...'

Andy smiled at Ashley.
"Wanna know something Ashley?"
"What is that Andy?" He smiled back.
"You're my one and only exception." He said softly. "And thanks to you I'm finding a bit of hope for myself... Thank you..."
"Your welcome. and I love you Andy."
"I love you too Ash."

'Oh and I'm on my way to believing....'
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I randomly came up with this while I was zoning out in history today ._.

WHADDYA THINK <3 <3 <3