Status: active

To Keep You Close to Me

Searching

The group had begun moving vehicles so that we could turn the RV around. We decided that once Sophia was found, we would turn around. Glenn had mapped out another route that might be easier for us to take. While Shane and Andrea moved another car, I continued my search. I was really trying to keep myself focused on something other than the search for Sophia. I was concerned about Daryl. Though I knew he wouldn’t have any trouble out in the woods, I was just worried that he wouldn’t be able to locate that little girl.

The sun was descending upon the horizon, so I gathered a few final things and carried them back to the RV. Everyone had piled their items on the road near a car. I added mine to the pile and leaned against the car.

“Find a lot of stuff out there?” Shane asked me, leaning beside me.

“Yeah, found a good amount. Useful too.”

“Good,” he paused. “You think Daryl’s really gonna find that girl?” He made it obvious that he doubted Daryl’s skill.

“Yeah, I know he will.” I wasn’t sure, to be honest. They were out there for hours; I find it hard to believe that she’s still hiding out there.

When I saw Andrea walking towards me, I mentally groaned. But she turned and walked towards Dale.

“Where’s my gun?” she asked him. “You have no right to take it.”

“You don’t need that just now, do ya?”

“My father gave it to me, it’s mine.”

“I can hold onto it for ya,” Dale argued.

“Or, you could give it back to me,” Andrea fought. Shane pushed himself off the car and marched over.

“Everything cool?” he questioned.

“No, I want my gun back.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea right now,” Dale told her.

“Why not?” Shane asked.

“I’m not comfortable with it,” Dale admitted.

Andrea scoffed and looked to Shane for help.

“Truth is less guns we have around camp, the better,” Shane said with authority.

“You turning over your weapon?” Andrea snapped.

He laughed, “Nah, but I’m trained. That’s what ya’ll need, proper training.”

Shane was right. No one else really knew how to use a gun. I definitely didn’t. I was stuck with this machete. But I wasn’t going to be as needy as Andrea was being. I just wasn’t sure if I could trust her. Give her a gun, and you never know, she could shoot me or Daryl.

“And until then,” Shane continued, “I think it’s best if Dale keeps them all accounted for.”

“Mmhm,” Andrea hummed and stormed off. I think she’s being ridiculous right now. Dale was right, she didn’t need it right now.

Glenn walked around the car and dropped down a box of supplies. When he looked back up, he noticed Daryl and Rick.

“Oh God, they’re back,” he announced and I rushed over to Daryl.

“You didn’t find her,” Carol said between breaths.

“Her trail went cold. We’ll pick it up again, at first light,” Rick informed her.

“You can’t leave my daughter out there on her own, she can’t spend the night alone in the woods,” Carol cried. The rest of the group rushed over to listen to Rick and Daryl.

“Out in the dark’s no good, we’ll just be trippin’ over ourselves,” Daryl pointed out.

“She’s twelve, she can’t be out there on her own!”

“I know this is hard, but I’m asking you not to panic. We know she was out there.”

“We tracked her for awhile,” Daryl added.

“We have to make this an organized effort,” Rick said. He then explained how he asked Daryl to oversee the search. And while they were out there, they cut open a walker to make sure it hadn’t eaten Sophia. I didn’t think that was the right thing to say to Carol, but maybe it’s best she know. She still continued to blame Rick for Sophia’s disappearance. I know she’s upset, but it’s not Rick’s fault.

When Daryl walked off, I followed him. And before he could get too far, I called for him to stop.

“I’m really proud of you going out there and looking for that girl,” I said.

“Nobody else here knows how to track for shit.”

“I know, but I’m proud of you for helping.” The side of his mouth tugged up into a short smile.

“I’m goin’ back out there in the mornin’.”

“I think we all are,” I said. I stared at him. The sun barely gave much light, but I could still make out the amount of dirt covering his face and neck. “How do you get so dirty out there?”

---


In the morning, the group set out for the search. Daryl, Rick and Shane were the only ones to hold guns, which didn’t make Andrea too happy. But after Shane briefly told her to suck it up, she shut up.

With our backpacks and weapons, we all climbed over the guardrail and into the woods. I followed closely behind Daryl and Rick. Instead of focusing on Daryl’s tracking, I watched my surroundings, keeping an eye out for Sophia and walkers. Andrea was pretty much pouting as she trotted through the woods.

Within fifteen minutes, we came across an abandoned tent. Daryl signaled for us to get down as he inched towards the tent. Rick and Shane followed Daryl towards the tent as we all crouched behind a bush. Rick motioned for Carol to run over. Before Daryl could open the door to the tent, Carol began to softly call out her daughter’s name.

Daryl ripped open the door and stepped inside as we all rushed over. I stepped closer to the tent and called out to Daryl.

“What’s in there?” I asked. I could hear Daryl rummaging around in the tent, but he never responded. When he finally came back out, he informed us that a guy sat in the tent and that he ‘opted out.’ Just like Jenner said.

Suddenly, we could hear the ringing of what sounded like church bells. Rick guided us towards the sound. Everyone threw out different scenarios of who could be ringing the bells. Sadly, they were hard to believe.

We ran out into an open field and saw the small white church. The ringing had stopped, but we still decided to investigate. The four men went into the church first. I looked inside and watched as they took out four walkers. When we realized that Sophia wasn’t in the church, a few of us walked back outside.

I sat under a big tree and waited for the others. Daryl had joined me in the shade under the tree. He was quiet. I knew that he was worried about Sophia. He was trying so hard. Carol and Lori eventually made it out of the church and over to the big tree. Rick and Shane stood off to the side and were talking among each other.

“Y’all gonna follow the creek bed back, ‘kay? Daryl, you’re in charge. Me and Rick are gonna stay back and search this area another hour or so to be thorough,” Shane explained.

“You’re splitting us up? You sure?” Daryl asked.

“Yeah, we’ll catch up to you.” Carl then volunteered to join Rick and Shane. Lori wasn’t too happy, but she let him do it.

I picked up my things and stood with my group. We gathered our stuff again and followed Daryl back into the woods. I walked side by side with him as we paraded through the woods.

“So this is the plan?” Carol questioned as she sat down on a log.

“Guess the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups,” Daryl sighed.

“And carrying knives and pointy sticks,” Andrea said bitterly.

“Jesus Christ,” I muttered to myself.

“I see you have a gun,” Andrea said to Lori.

Lori looked up at her, “Why? You want it? Here, take it. I’m sick of the looks you’re givin’ me.”

Andrea stood with her jaw hanging open and sighed as she took the gun. Lori was a better person than me because if I had a gun, I sure as hell wouldn’t give it to Andrea.
♠ ♠ ♠
Did anyone else think that Andrea was super annoying about the whole gun situation?

c976061
TBPFelton18
EmillyX213
thefunwalkingdoctor
Serah-Elizabeth
FobPatdMcr1dFir
Sarahlamppost
bob nathaniel bryar
Thank you guys for your comments! Keep em coming!