Status: In Progress

Between The Lines

Twelve

Harper was glad that one of the conditions of being in charge of the One Directions boys while they were in New York was having the weekends to herself. The boys were told this and that during this time they would have to behave. However, the weekend flew by too quickly for Harper’s liking and before she knew it she was entering Daniel’s Sunday night for dinner with her mother.

“Harper” Her mother greeted her with a smile and planted a small kiss on her cheek. Taking a seat Harper peered at the menu in front of her on the white table cloth. A waiter poured her a glass of red wine before telling her mother their entree won’t be long. They came to this restaurant so often they might as well own it.

“Eleanor” A deep voice behind Harper caused her to turn only to be met with Anthony dressed in a clean cut grey suit and blue tie.

Her mother stood up and greeted him the same way she had done with Harper, only this time a little more enthusiasm. Anthony greeted Harper before sitting down across from Eleanor. Harper now more than ever wanted to know what was going on.

“So tell me Harper” Anthony turned his attention to her “How are the boys of One Direction treating you.

Her mind flashed to Friday night. Liam and Niall’s conversation, her almost hook up with Harry and how upset Niall had been with her the next morning. “Really well, they are all really nice boys and so far it’s been a pleasure working with them” She wasn’t about to reveal to her own mother that she wanted to be pulled off the job already.

“That’s great sweetie” Eleanor smiled, happy to her the positive feedback. “Now I’m sure you’re wondering why I wanted you here tonight”

“You have no idea” Harper mumbled.

“I, well we have some news to tell you” Eleanor reached over and took Anthony’s hand, a smile on her face. “We’re engaged”

It was as if the world around her had just stopped. Suddenly the noise in the restaurant was being blocked out as Harper tried to comprehend what her mother had just told her. Engaged? How could she not notice her even having a relationship with Anthony, let alone now to be married in the future?

“Since when?!” Harper breathed.

“Just since last week-” Eleanor began, but Harper interrupted.

“No, how long have you two been together?”

Eleanor hesitated, opened her mouth and then shut it again. It was Anthony who told her. “Since 2006”

“You’re joking, how could you hide this from me for that long?” Harper was furious. “And what about Dad?”

“Harper you are behaving like a child, can you not just be happy for us”

“No I can’t! Barely a year after Dad’s accident and you moved on without a second thought. You might as well cheated on him when he was still alive, it’s basically the same thing” Harper looked at her mother’s face and realisation hit her. “Oh my god, you were. You were having an affair”

“Harper please” Her mother begged.

“I can’t even look at you”

Harper stood up and left without a second glance at her mother. It wasn’t until she was out of the restaurant did her chest tighten and she felt as though she couldn’t breathe. She tried to blink, back the tears but there was no use. Her mind was full of confusing thoughts and feelings. She felt angry, betrayed and upset over the bombshell her mother had just dropped.

Feeling like she didn’t want to be alone, Harper’s fingers betrayed her as she dialled the number of a person she was sure didn’t want to speak with her. Just as she imagined the call went to voicemail.

“Niall” Her voice was shaky and didn’t sound like her usual self. Taking a breath to compose herself, she continued. “I’m so sorry for about Saturday. I know you probably don’t want to speak to me right now, but if you could...Actually never mind, I don’t even know why I called you” She quickly hung up the phone, regretting calling him.

Niall was watching a movie with the lads relaxing and watching a movie when his phone rang. It was Harper. He ignored the call and turned his attention back to the TV. His phone vibrated moments later, signalling he had a message to check his voice mail. Sighing, he put the phone to his ear and listened to the message knowing who it was from.

“Niall” Harper spoke. Immediately Niall knew something wasn’t right. She sounded though she had been crying. All anger he felt towards her was gone, replaced with worry and concern. He listened to the message until the end and then quickly called her back as he left the room so the others couldn’t overhear.

Harper’s phone began ringing in her hand, she answered the call, but before she had the chance, Niall’s voice broke through. “Harper are you alright?”

“Niall” Harper breathed, not expecting him to sound so concerned.

“You sound upset, what’s wrong?”

“I...it’s not something I really want to explain over a phone call”

“Where are you?” He asked, sounding even more worried.

“Almost at my apartment”

“I’ll meet you there”

“Thank you”

Niall quickly grabbed a jacket from his suitcase and made his way to the elevator.

“Where you going?” Harry asked. Niall turned to the four boys all peering over the couch, all matching each other’s confused looks.

“It’s Harper” He told them. “She called me and sounded upset so I’m meeting her at her apartment”

“Should we come with?” Louis asked.

“I think Niall can handle this on his own” Liam said. He was the only one who knew the blonde’s feelings for the girl and the argument they had shared the previous morning.

“Let us know if she is alright” Zayn said. Niall nodded and then left the suite, wanting to get to Harper’s apartment as soon as possible.
♠ ♠ ♠
Be prepared for the next chapter, just saying