Status: In Progress

Between The Lines

Fourteen

Soft, calloused fingers gently strumming up and down her bare back woke Harper as morning dawned on the city of New York. One of Niall’s arms was wrapped loosely around her waist, whilst the other made patterns along her spine, their legs tangled together.

Harper sat up, adjusting the sheet to cover her chest, not wanting to look the blonde boy in her bed in the eye. She felt guilty and he was only making it worse.

“Morning” Niall sat up and planted a few small kisses along Harper’s shoulder, the blonde getting chills from every touch. He trailed them up her neck, her head tilting slightly in pleasure until connecting with her lips once more. It was until things got slightly more heated did the alarm bells in Harper’s mind start ringing.

“Niall stop” Harper sighed. “I can’t do this”

“What’s wrong?” He looked slightly taken aback and confused.

“Look last night was great Niall, but it never should have happened” She told him, running her hand through her hair. “I was lonely and you there for me”.

“It meant nothing?” He asked slowly, trying to comprehend everything.

“It meant nothing” She repeated, wondering herself if she truly believed those words.

“You used me?” Harper’s heart sank at the hurt in his voice, it almost breaking her heart. How could she be so stupid?

Finally she turned to look at him. His expression was that of hurt, anger and confusion only making her even guiltier. How could she tell him that she had used him for comfort knowing full well he harboured feelings for her? He however took her silence as the answer he needed.

“That’s great, thanks a lot Harper” Anger was laced in his normally gentle tone as he searched for his clothes and got changed.

“Niall I’m sorry!”

“Don’t even fucking bother try to apologise, you got what you needed” He practically spat at her as he slipped on his jacket. “I thought you were different Harper” He left the room and seconds later the door to her apartment slammed shut. There was no point in trying to stop him.

Harper fell back into the mattress, letting out a frustrated groan. This was a mess. She shouldn’t have slept with Niall, their relationship was supposed to remain on a strictly professional level. Now even that was ruined. She was sure he never wanted to talk to her again.

Harper had made a rightful mess of everything.

Niall Horan entered the penthouse suite the boys were currently residing in with clenched fists and an angry expression. The others were all located in the living room, lounging about playing video games and shouting at each other.

“Oi Niall why do you look as though you’ve just had sex?” Harry said, his lips twisting up his trademark dimpled smirk.

“Shove off” Niall ignored the looks from his band mates and proceeded to close himself in his room. He punched the door and then collapsed onto the queen sized bed.

Staring at the ceiling wasn’t helping his current state; all that was on his mind was Harper. Betrayal and angry ran through his veins. He’d never felt like this in his entire life. How could she do this and not feel anything?

A knock at the door interrupted his thoughts. “Go away” He shouted at the door. Whoever it was didn’t seem to care about his protests and entered anyway. The bed sagged beside him at the weight of someone else.

“Harry was right wasn’t he?” It was Liam.

“Go away Liam”.

“Niall, just tell me what happened”

“Fine, I slept with her alright? And I thought it meant something, but according to her it didn’t. I’m sorry I can’t be like Harry and feel nothing with a girl, I just can’t do that” He hadn’t realised he’d shouted that until the others all appeared in the doorway, having heard the whole thing. Frustrated and upset he buried his head in his hands.

“She said that?” It was Louis who broke the silence. Niall nodded, the others were still unaware that he had feelings for her. Although Harry had caught on slightly.

“I like her” He told them. “A lot”. Right now he felt like crap and would rather be curled up in bed than have to explain everything to the lads.

“We’re here for you mate” Liam gave him a soft pat on the back to comfort him.

“I really screwed this up didn’t I?” He looked at the others faces, their expressions confirming it. Harper was working for them, this now complicated things to a whole new degree. Their relationship never should have crossed over the line.

Image

Harper contemplated calling in sick for the day, knowing full well it was going to be hell for her. She couldn’t shake Niall hurt expression as he left. However, despite the boys not having anything on for the day, it was her job to look after them while they were in the city and it would be too late to find someone to cover for her.

Getting into the shower, the warm water darted down her body, relaxing her instantly. If only it could wash away the memories of last night. Opting for a more casual look for the day, Harper completed her outfit with a red scarf to cover the marks left by Niall on her neck.

Dashing into the small cafe just near the boys hotel, Harper got them all a coffee so they could experience the wonder a little cafe in the big city had to offer instead of going to Starbucks. The elevator ride up was nerve racking, she was already having second thoughts. She should have just stayed in bed all day, watching reruns of Doctor Who.

“Alright boys prepare your tastebuds, you are about to have coffee better than anything you’ve ever had before” Placing the tray of the counter, she turned to see four of the five member of One Direction all staring at her with the same look. Niall had obviously told them what happened. Of course they weren’t going to be happy with her, boys were much more serious with the ‘bros before hoes’ code than girls.

“I take it Niall told you” She said, her hands cupped around her steaming coffee. “Do you hate me?”
“We don’t hate you Harper” Harry told her.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if you do, Niall is your friend and I’m just the PR assistant that got stuck with you lot”
“We just aren’t used to seeing Niall like this” Liam told her. “He likes you and this has hurt him”

“I know, I heard you and him talking backstage at the X-Factor” She admitted “It’s why I was avoiding him that night”

“That makes sense now”

“Look I never meant for it to happen alright? I was upset and Niall was there. It just happened and I honestly do feel guilty about it”

“No you don’t” Everyone turned to see Niall coming out from the hallway. He still looked angry.

“Niall...”

“Don’t! Don’t try and explain how sorry you are, I don’t want to hear it” Harper could feel the tears in her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. “Just go”

“If you’d just let me...”

“Go!” He shouted causing Harper to flinch slightly.

Nodding her head sadly, she turned on her heel and left the boy’s suite. The last thing she wanted was to have a screaming match with Niall.

“You didn’t have to be so harsh on her” Harry said once Harper had left.

“Yeah? Cheer Harry, glad to know you’ve got my back”

“Oh come off it Niall, you know I’m your mate”

“Alright enough of this” Liam interjected, looking between the two. “Niall this is not Harry’s fault and that also doesn’t mean I’m blaming you either, but don’t take this out on us”

“Fine” Niall turned to go back to his room. “But I want to request a new assistant”
♠ ♠ ♠

looks like we've entered drama island oooh