Status: In Progress

Between The Lines

One

The cold wind was the first thing on her mind that day.

It was only the start of November in New York, but the icy weather did not stop people from their day to day business. The crowded streets were already dressed in Christmas decorations and the faint sounds of carolers could be heard from Central Park as the city prepared for the holiday season, starting with Thanksgiving.

With her red heels clicking against the sidewalk, Harper Quinn navigated her way through the tourists to work. Stepping through the golden revolver door of Quinn and Co, she made her way to the top floor where her desk was located.

“Good Morning Miss Quinn” the receptionist greeted her as she stepped out of the elevator. “Your mother wants to speak with you”

Harper inwardly groaned, she did not have the best relationship with her mother.

“Thank you Lacy, have a good day”

Harper shrugged out of sapphire coat and hung it on the back of the chair in her office, before striding into her mother’s office, not even bothering to knock.

“Just get them to sign the contract” her mother said to the person she was speaking to on the phone, placing a finger up to Harper that she won’t be more than a moment. “I don’t care how long it takes”

Eleanor Quinn was the CEO of Quinn and Co, the worldwide famous public relations and production company that was founded by Marcus Quinn, her late husband. As Harper watched her pace around the office that looked over the city, she couldn’t help but notice the lack of expression on her mother’s face. Eleanor had obviously added yet another dose of botox to the countless she had in the past. Since her father’s death, Eleanor had more interest in the shape of her eyebrows than the company. Her business partner and an old friend of the family, Anthony Peterson, took care of the work while she was simply the face of the company.

“Sorry about that” Eleanor said, taking a seat across from Harper. “Now I have some news I’d like to share with you”

“What is it?” Harper asked curiously.

“The boy band from England, One Direction, you’ve heard of them right?”

Harper couldn’t stop the sigh that left her lips, of course she had heard of them. To the rest of the world they were the heart throbs from England that were taking the world by storm, one little cheesy pop song at a time. With their bubbly personalities and slightly immature ways, everyone loved them, but to the PR business they were a nightmare. When they weren’t doing shows, most of them were partying or sleeping around, their photos splashed across every major tabloid and gossip magazine.
Of course, that was only lunchroom gossip. Harper didn’t know them personally, but nobody in the firm seemed particularly fond of the ‘heart throbs’.

“They aren’t as bad as you think. The word around the firm has been greatly exaggerated.” Eleanor said quickly, noting her disdain. “I’ve met the boys before; they’re actually quite lovely and charming. Their management wants to continue to keep up the sweet and caring image they have” She said meaningfully. “And that’s where you come in.”

Harper perked up at this, her mother had to be joking.

“How exactly?”

“They are going to be in the city for the remainder of the month to promote their new album, whilst preparing for their show at Madison Square Garden in December. Your job is to stay close to them, make sure they don’t do anything too crazy. Their management has strictly ordered that there be absolutely no bad press whilst they are in New York”

“So I’m basically going to babysit a bunch of famous boys for nearly a month?”

From what she’d already heard from gossip, the task she’d been given now seemed impossible. How do you stop a bunch of hormonal boys to behave in the city that never sleeps?

“Think of it as more of a personal assistant than babysitter” Eleanor smiled “so what’s your decision?”
“I’ll do it, only because I have no choice” she agreed, muttering the last past.

“I knew I could count on you Harper, you need to pick up the boys in an hour”

Hazel rose from the plush leather chair, as her mother begun calling someone. As she walked back to her office, passing Anthony on the way who offered her a word of congratulations, her thoughts were telling her she was absolutely crazy for taking the job.

Being a personal assistant to a five guys for almost a month? It was like a horrible nightmare she wanted to wake from, yet it was now her reality and she hadn’t even spent a day with them yet.
♠ ♠ ♠


So this is longer than the opening but still a little short, I promise they'll get longer. The boys will make their first appearance in the next chapter!