Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose two

If there was one thing I hated more then trying to live in two different worlds it was when those two worlds collided.

"If I hurry I can still catch the bus." I said as Jas pulled up in her car.

"You'd never make it. Just get in Mal." She said rolling down her window her sunglasses balanced on the tip of her nose.

I was going to say "You don't know that" when she gave me a knowing look. Gripping the handle of my instrument case tighter I walked around to the passengers side and climbed in. For most of the ride we sat in silence. I was tempted a few times to turn on the radio to see how she would react since she claimed it messed with her visions, but it wasn't worth the effort. Instead I tried to put together what i was going to tell my friends when I arrived at school in a hearse.

"Why can't you be normal and drive a regular car?" I asked her as we got near the school. Even if she dropped me off her everyone would still see me.

"Because Maliina our family isn't normal. Why should I try to be something I'm not?" Her gaze flicked over to me and I looked away unable to meet her accusing eyes.

As we pulled up everyone gathered around trying to see who was in the hearse. I could tell none of them were surprised to see me when I climbed out. A few even started talking as I closed the door. Lucky for me a limo pulled up behind the hearse and everyone rushed over to greet the rider. Rolling my eyes I headed for the doors where my best friends were waiting. Or should I say trying not to laugh.

"Don't even ask. It wasn't my idea I missed the bus." I said as I approached them.

"We can see that Mal. But man I can't believe she actually drove that here." James said as my sister pulled away.

"Don't worry everyone already knew you and the rest of your family are freaks. Your reputation is safe." John said giving me a thumbs up.

I held up a finger of my own then walked inside as the twins trailed behind me. I had met them my first day and ever since we'd hung out. They took the fact that I was different in stride. I felt comfortable enough around them to share things I wouldn't tell my parents, or my older sister in fact. Twins according to my mom are supposed to be bad luck. I don't care either way.

"So Mal isn't tomorrow your birthday." James asked as he reached into his backpack.

"Yeah but it's no big deal." I answered flipping through my binder looking for my notes.

"Of course it is! Here we got you something." James said as he pulled a wrapped box out of his bag.

"Well he got that for you. I got you this." John said as he pulled out an equally sized box as I took the first one.

"Uh thanks guys. I've never gotten presents before." I said as i held the two gifts.

"Never?!" They exclaimed at the same time.

"Yeah my family's a little non traditional. Can I open them now?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"Sure." They said at the same time.

We walked into the classroom and headed for the back. Most of the popular students where sitting in the front chatting away, which left the back open for us. I sat down in one of the chairs, James and John sitting in the chairs on either side of me, then set the presents on top of the table.

"I don't know which one to open." I admitted looking at the decorated presents.

"You want us to open them?" James offered.

"Yeah that'd be good." I said pushing their presents back towards them.

They both ripped off the paper as fast as they could trying to get done before the other. When they were done the slid the boxes back towards me and I opened them. Inside both was a pair of earrings. One pair were crescent moons that were the color of moonlight, the other pair were roses each petal looked as if it were real.

"What you got her earrings too?" James and John asked each other at the same time.

"That was my present you copy cat!" They shouted ready to fight.

"It's great. I'm glad I got two pairs. I can wear them at the same time." I said already taking the ones I was wearing out.

When I finished putting them in I smiled at both of them. They blushed and pretended it was no big deal which meant I had to give them noogies. The teacher walked in a few moments later and we had to sit down and pretend to be good students. Halfway through the lesson though I felt a twinge in my neck. I ignored it after it went away. Besides I didn't have time to think about it with the way the teacher was talking.
♠ ♠ ♠
by the way her name Maliina is Nordic.