Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose twenty

When I woke up it was morning. The sun was already shining on the sidewalk drying the ground. Moving I found that my body was aching all over. But what did I expect sleeping out in the cold after running maybe ten blocks? Moving I woke the raven that was sleeping in my shirt. He gave me a reproachful look then climbed out.

"Morning." I whispered softly.

He cawed and started to wander around getting the layout of the area we were in.

"I wonder what time it is?" I looked down and saw it was barely eight.

Getting Up I shook out my clothes. They were still a little damp and looked as if I had tossed them around on the ground but they would have to do until I could find something else to wear. A few people glanced at me as I walked into the sunlight but they quickly looked away. i must've looked like a homeless kid or something. Whistling softly my Raven flew over and landed on my shoulder.

"Go catch yourself something to eat why don't you?" I suggested. He took off a moment later.

I started down the street memories of the night filtering through my brain. Okay so someone wanted me bad enough to set out a price. And it was someone from the magical world. The only person it should have been was the god who was messing with me. Except from what I'd learned he was locked down pretty tight and needed my help to do anything. So who the heck had put a hit out on me?

"Hey spare some change?" Someone asked to my left.

I turned my thoughts interrupted by the sight of an elderly woman sitting on the side of the sidewalk holding out a can. Or at least that's how everyone else saw her. Unfortunately for me I saw the tail sticking out from under her frayed skirt. She caught me looking at it and smiled showing her blackened teeth.

"Spare some change?" Her voice was more gravely this time.

Against my better judgement I dug out a twenty and placed it in her cup. There were too many others like her and I couldn't help them all. Still I knew what happened on the streets. It'd been drilled into my head the number of ways a magical creature could get in trouble if they had no protection. She smiled again and I turned to walk away.

"Wait deary!" I turned around and saw her fishing through her patched coat for something.

She held out her hand grasping something that looked like wood. When I held out mine she placed the thing in it and I saw it was an amulet.

"It seems you'll need this more then I will." Before i could say anything she dashed off leaving standing there.

I looked at the thing in my hand again then slid the loop of string over my head so it hung over my chest. It was normal enough. No hidden spells. No spells at all actually. But something in it told me I had better hold on to it. My raven caught up with me as I turned the corner landing on my shoulder as I turned to look at him.

"We have four more days. How are we ever going to do this?" I asked him as I kept walking.

This time he chose not to respond which didn't help my nerves at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Bum Bum BUM!!!!!!!!