Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose three

"You're late!" Was the first thing my father said when I got home that afternoon.

"I was studying at the library." Was all the answer I would give as I took off my shoes.

"I thought we agreed that you would be back by five every afternoon to help me. And what are those?"

I realized he was talking about my earrings. I scowled at him then removed them placing both pairs in his outstretched hand. Every time I brought something new into the house he had to check it. To make sure his enemies hadn't placed a spell on me or my things. The earrings glowed for a few seconds then settled back down in my fathers hand. He looked at them then held them out for me. I snatched them away then placed them back in my ears.

"Why are those boys giving you things?" He asked knowing fully well who had given me the earrings.

"Because of we won't see each other tomorrow since it's Saturday." I replied crossly taking off my coat.

"That still doesn't answer my question."

"Don't you remember what tomorrow is?" I asked as I hung up my coat.

"No." he said flatly.

"I didn't expect you to." I said as I walked past him.

My parents never remembered my birthday. Jas's was always a cause for celebration. She was the child who had the powers in the family. I was just as shadow to her brilliance. And the fact is she's the only one who remembers.

"Well anyway come help me with this spell." My father said opening the door to the basement.

I followed him and for the next few hours spent my time running around getting him ingredients, tools and the occasional organ from his stock. I was relieved when mother called down the steps that it was dinner time. I had spent enough time down there, which is why i rushed up the stairs as fast as I could.

"Wash your hands before you come to the table Maliina. Remind your father to do so as well." My mother called as she carried a steaming dish past me.

"Okay." My father was right behind me so i didn't have to remind him.

I scrubbed my hands quickly then rushed out and sat down. I could already smell the chicken she had made. My mother and Jas were vegetarians so most of the meal included vegetables and tofu, but no matter what there was always a meat dish for my father and me. We were halfway through our meal (And I was halfway through my third piece of chicken) when Jas brought up the subject. My birthday.

"So Mom, Dad what are you guys planning for tomorrow?" She asked scooping some more potatoes on her plate.

"What do you mean darling?" My mother asked setting down the forkful she was about to eat.

"Maliina mentioned something too. What is tomorrow?" My father asked before taking a giant bite out of his food.

"It's okay Jas I don't care." I said trying to get her to stop before she told them.

"But Mal tomorrow's your thirteenth birthday!" She protested slamming her hands on the table. I could only guess she was angry that they didn't remember. For a seer she was blind to the obvious.

The look on my parents face was one of sheer terror. Yes. They had forgotten. Again.

"Excuse me I have some homework to do." I said getting up before they could start apologizing.

My mother started to protest but a look from my father stopped her. They had messed up and they knew it. A thirteenth birthday is the most important event in a child's life in our world. It is the time when they take the powers they have and started putting them to use in the real world. But in my case it would just be another day where I am reminded of how much of a disappointment I am.

After placing my plate in the sink I went upstairs and did my homework until I got tired of it. Which happened in five minutes. Sinking down on my bed I buried my face in my pillow. I wish Jas had just left it alone. It would have been better if it had passed without them knowing. Then they wouldn't have felt the need to do something.

"Mal?" Jas's voice floated through my door.

"Come in." I mumbled barely loud enough to be heard.

"I'm sorry I should have kept my mouth shut. I know how hard it is for you." She said as she walked in and sat down on the bed next to me.

"No it's okay. Better to get the whole thing over with now."

"I didn't tell them but Mal somethings coming. I thought reminding them about your birthday might get them to call the others but. . . ." her voice trailed off causing me to look up at her.

She was worried about something. Which hardly ever happens. Unless something bad is going to happen. The last time I had broken my leg falling out of the tree house. And the time before that our grandpa had died.

"What's coming?"

"I don't know. I c-can't see it. Mal I'm scared." She said her voice trembling.

Jas never got scared. I sat up and stared at her. If she couldn't see what bad thing was going to happen then we were blind. And that is never a good thing when your family's like mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I actually wrote down the main idea for this chapter. It was easier to type then I thought it would be.