Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose eight

Sunday came and went the time flying away from me. Unlike other people I wasn't having fun the whole day. I was caught somewhere between despair and working. When night came I fell asleep under the table again, tears running down my face. Somehow I managed to get up the next morning making a small breakfast before heading out to the bus. Everyone was buzzing about some game that was on their chattering floating around me. It was like someone had placed a bubble around me, I could hear what was going on beyond it but it didn't affect me.

"Mal!!! Did you see the game last night?! IT was amazing!" James called running over to me the moment I stepped off the bus.

"You moron don't you remember? Mal doesn't have cable." John said smacking his brother on the head as he calmly walked over to us.

"Oh right sorry I forgot. Hey you're wearing your presents they look good." James said his gaze focusing on my ears.

"Oh yeah I forgot they were in." I mumbled my hands moving up to my ears.

"Is something wrong?" John asked catching onto my mood.

"No everything's fine. I'm going to head to class okay I forgot to do some homework." I said holding up my hands defensively.

I hurried away hoping the bought the excuse. Actually we didn't have any homework at all. I sat in the back of the classroom as usual, but when they sat down next to me I didn't look up. I had my book open for the first time and was flipping through it's pages.

"Mal what aren't you telling us?" James asked reaching out an taking my book from me.

"Nothing, why do you guys always think something's wrong?" I asked snatching it back.

"Because when you run away from us like that something usually is." John answered.

"Just leave it alone okay?"

They glanced at each other then didn't say another word. Since we'd know each other for so long they knew when I wasn't going to talk and when I was. For most of class I sat there thinking about whether I should tell them or not. The fact that my family was under such a strong spell meant that I needed someone's help. If not to help me find the person who did, then to watch over them while I did. But could I really betray my family and the world of magic like that? But could I go out and seek help from someone I didn't even know? What was I going to do?

"MALIINA!" My teacher shouted shocking me from the thoughts that were plaguing my mind.

"Uh yes sir?" i asked standing up as everyone began to giggle.

"They've been calling your name to the office for a while now would you please go and let the rest of us have some peace?" He asked.

"Uh yes sir." I gathered my things and rushed out the door.

James and John exchanged glances before I left but I barely gave them any thought. Why was I being called down to the office? When I got there the secretary handed me the phone then left the room so that I would be able to have some privacy.

"Hello?" I asked uncertainty.

"Maliina I'm sorry to be calling you but I couldn't get in touch with your mother is everything alright?" I knew that voice it was one of the witches who were friends with my mom.

"Yes everything's alright. Why do you ask?" I swallowed hoping she wouldn't hear the lie in my voice.

"I couldn't sense her powers. It was like she left or something."

"No she's just been resting a lot lately. Everything's alright. Although her and my father have been discussing going somewhere for a trip." If she called back this would be a good excuse.

"I see. Alright then thought I should check in. Happy thirteenth birthday by the way. I can't wait to find out what powers you have."

The fact that I didn't have any powers was one that not many people outside my immediate family knew. It was too spare me the pain of feeling like an outsider.

"Yeah I hoped I'd be a witch like my mother but it seems like I'll be taking after my father. Being a necromancer isn't all that bad." I laughed a hitch in my throat.

"That's wonderful! Well then I'll see you at the Solstice gathering in a few weeks. May the earth smile upon you today." She hung up before I could tell her anything else.

I set the phone back in its cradle then looked at my hands. The thorns were peeking out the slightest bit from my coat and I quickly covered them up. I had just ruined my chance to get help, why? The answer was one I already knew. I didn't want anyone to find out that as powerful as my parents were I was completely powerless.