Status: I am free to write again. Got caught up in all my classes!

Cage of Roses

Rose nine

Sighing heavily my mind filled with worries I walked out of the office just as the bell rang. Kids streamed into the hallway making it almost impossible to keep standing in one place. Because of all the other kids I didn't see them right at first. Finally I spotted John and James waiting for me over by the water fountain, it was a little safer then standing in the middle of the hallway but not by much. Carefully I made my way over to them faking another smile.

"Hey did I miss much?" I asked once I'd reached them.

"No not really. I took some notes for you." John said handing me a sheet of paper that had writing scribbled all over it.

"No problem why'd they call you down?" John asked looking into the crowds searching for a way for us to get through.

"Just a phone call from one of my mom's friends. She wanted to know if my mom was up for a meeting. Nothing serious." I added when I saw the unbelieving look on John's face.

"Well great! We should be getting to class!" Jam,es said huffing slightly. Why was he so angry.

Before I could ask if something was wrong he took off not even caring that he knocked a few people down in the process. I watched him then looked at John the questions burning in my eyes.

"He's just a little moody. Come on let's go." He smiled then led the way into the crowd.

I followed him silently lost in my own thoughts again. But even I couldn't ignore the fact that James was acting especially moody for some like him. Every time I tried to talk to him he would get all snooty with me. I was starting to get annoyed by the time school ended. Sighing I climbed on the bus loaded down with homework. I wasn't looking forward to going home and helping dad . . . . I'd forgotten. I barely held it together on the bus, but when I got home the tears that had been threatening to fall vanished. I had work to do.

For the next hour I worked around the house sweeping and mopping. It took some courage too head down to the basement but when I did I was able to tend to dad's projects. I was just finishing up the dusting when someone rang the doorbell.

"Who is it?" I asked aloud as I set the dust rag down.

I walked to the door and peered through the eye piece. I was not expecting the sight I saw. James and John were standing on my porch looking around as they waited for me to answer the door. I swallowed and considered my options. There was nothing out so it was safe to open the door but with the spell on the house I didn't know if it would affect them.

"Mal open the door we know everything!" James called banging his fist on the door.

"We overheard you in the office. We heard everything and if you don't want us to go to the police-" John never finished the sentence because I threw open the door my eyes wide with fear.

"You can't do that!" I shouted before clamping a hand over my mouth.

"SO it's true then. You'd better tell us everything Mal." John said his face unmoving. He would tell. I could see it in his eyes.

Reluctantly I let them in. They looked around my house as I led them to the living room, it was their first time being here. I guess they hadn't expected it to be so neat or open because they kept glancing around as if something was going to jump out at them. I made some tea and set it out before taking a seat myself.

"So how much did you hear?" I asked my stomach rolling.

"Everything. Is your mother really a witch?! Can your father really bring people back from the dead?!" James asked excitingly.

"To an extent. I shouldn't have said those things. I'm screwed." I muttered pacing my hands on my hands on my head.

"So what are you?" John asked his eyes on me.

"Me I'm nothing. I have no powers."

"I'm being serious Mal you'd better tell us." John said his eyes serious.

"I am! Do you think I'd be lying about this?! If you do then get out right now! I don't have time to spend on this!" I shouted standing up.

For a second no one spoke. Tears prickled the corners of my eyes and I had to wipe them away before they started to burn. I really didn't have time for this! I didn't even know if I could take this. Sitting down I covered my face as I thought about what I was supposed to do. I shouldn't have said so much at school, it was reckless. I'd exposed my family what was I going to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh oh.