Facades

Two

May pawed at her new play thing as he sat next to her in the booth. I nearly gagged at their couple-y actions. Nothing was more revolting than watching a new couple act like they were in love. I looked over the menu to distract myself. When she had originally invited me out to get pizza with her, I thought it would just be the two of us. Then she walked in on the arm of this new guy. I think his name was Kyle or Ken or Cade or something.

A rambunctious group of men walked past our table and sat right behind us. Oh, this would be wonderful. May purred something into her boyfriend's ear. I could recognize the look that sparked in his eyes. Oh God...

May turned to me with a sweet smile. "We're going to go..." she faltered for a good excuse.

"Just make sure the staff here doesn't catch you," I sighed out.

She giggled before pushing him out of the booth. They hurried off in the direction of the bathrooms, hand in hand. I don't know what it was about public places, but May had a thing for this kind of stuff. At this point it wasn't even shocking. It was just May.

"Hey, Marchy!" a voice called out behind me. My eyes raised at the sound of it. No... "Can you order me a Greek veggie pizza, babe?"

"Anything for you, babe," another voice called back.

I slowly turned in my spot to look at the group behind me. And there he was. Pretentious Asshole. "Fucking a..." I whispered before turning back around just as his eyes met mine.

I heard shuffling behind me before he was next to me. He slid into the booth, pushing me further in. I glared up at him as I scooted away from him. "What do you want?" I demanded.

"To sleep with your best friend," he answered with a smile. "Is that her boyfriend?"

"Yes. So you won't have any luck right now," I told him.

"Eh, I'm pretty convincing. She won't be able to resist me long. No one can." He sent a smirk in my direction.

I rolled my eyes. This guy was turning out to be just like the rest: persistent when it was pointless. He was more cocky than the rest, though. He just assumed he could get into her pants where as the others that pestered me were desperate or begging to.

"Really. Now, how long have they been together?" he questioned.

I gave him a ridiculous look. "You're really going to take this on? Are you that much of an asshole?"

The guy laughed. "Just got to know what I'm up against. The chase is always the best," he pointed out.

This guy was ridiculous. "They just got together for you information. You should just give up," I added.

I glanced to the bathrooms, hoping they would return soon. Of course they weren't. My eyes slid back to the guy next to me. He couldn't be much older than either of us. He brown hair was cut short and he had no facial hair. He really wasn't anything special to look at, there were definitely guys hotter than him out there. But he wasn't terrible. Just looking at him it was like life was pouring out of him. He just gave off so much energy. He was probably one of those guys that was fun to go drinking with or goof around with.

He smirked down at me. "I don't give up easily," he informed me.

"Well, you should. You probably don't even know her name. She probably doesn't even know yours." I pulled my phone out of my purse and scrolled through my contacts to get to May's.

"Well, help me out. The sooner we get together, the less you have to put up with me." I glanced up at him. He raised his eyebrows. "So, what are your names?"

The chance to get rid of this guy was tempting. Something about him just got under my skin. "Her name is May Claybourne," I finally informed him. I dropped my phone into my lap and sighed. Maybe he was right and he would get to her quickly.

He nodded and gave me a pointed look. When I didn't say anything else, he continued. "And you?"

I let out a groan as I rubbed my temple. "Melanie Clare," I replied.

He thought it over for a second before nodding his head. "I like it. Can I call you Mel?"

"No," I snapped at him right away.

His smile wasn't phased, though. "Sounds good. Can I get her number from you?"

"No," I repeated.

"Can I get your number so you can help me out?" he tried again.

I gave him a pointed look. He just stared at me with a stupid smile on his face. "No," I finally answered him.

He shrugged his shoulders and glanced over at the counter, probably anticipating his pizza. "Come on. The more you fight me the longer you have to put up with me," he reminded me as he smirked.

I rolled my eyes at his cocky attitude. I dug a pen out of my purse before snatching a napkin and writing down my email address. "Here. That's all you get. If you spam my inbox with pointless emails, I promise you I won't ever help you."

He took the napkin from me and read over my school email address. He took another napkin and my pen and scribbled down ten digits. He handed that napkin and pen back to me. "And there is my phone number. If you spam it with calls and texts, I'll report you for harassment."

I scoffed at that, but tossed the napkin in my purse anyways. "Whatever."

May chose that time to walk back to the table, smirking and dragging her new toy behind her. Her eyes immediately went to the guy next to me and darkened. "What are you doing here?" she demanded as she slid into her booth. Her boyfriend slid in next to her, looking completely confused.

The guy beside me grinned at her. "Just talking to little Mel here. What are you up to? Taking your little brother out to pizza?" he asked, his eyes glancing at May's boyfriend. I glared over at him when he used my nickname.

May's expression darkened. She really hated this guy. Maybe I should've just told him to beat it. "He's my boyfriend, thank you very much."

"Who the hell are you, anyways?" May's boyfriend asked.

"He's a pest and he's leaving," I said pointedly as I started to scoot closer to the guy, hoping he'd get the hint and get out of the booth.

He didn't budge, though. He just smiled at the guy. He was getting really annoying with that smile. I put more of my weight into pushing him. When he didn't even move a little bit, I braced my arms against the wall and pushed harder. "I'm Tyler Seguin," he answered May's boyfriend. "Who are you?"

"I'm Chris. I'm May's boyfriend. Seguin, you said?" Chris questioned. So his name did start with a C. I'd been close enough earlier. I put my legs up against the wall and pushed harder against this Tyler Seguin guy.

May glared harder at Tyler. "Why don't you go join you friends? You aren't exactly welcome here," she snapped.

"Tyler, baby! Your pizza's here!" a voice called out from the table behind us.

And suddenly the brick wall that was behind me was suddenly gone. I fell backwards, almost landing on the floor. Tyler's hands grasped my shoulders, keeping me off the ground. I stared up at him, still in shock from him moving so suddenly. He gave me a smirk as I righted myself. "Don't fall, Mel." I glared at him again. He smirked and waved to May and myself before walking back to his table.

I huffed and turned back to May and Chris. "Tyler?" Chris questioned in confusion.

May stiffened at stared at the menu she'd picked up. "It doesn't matter. He's unimportant. Drop it," she advised coldly.

Chris didn't drop it, though. "Why was he here, though? Is he your ex or something?" he pushed.

May's eyes flickered up to me before looking over at her boyfriend. "No. That is disgusting. Now drop it-"

"How am I supposed to drop the fact that Ty-"

"Shut the fuck up!" May snapped at him. I sat in silence as I watched her get truly pissed off at him. "I said drop it. We don't want to talk about it." She looked back at her menu, straightening her posture and flipping a strand of her hair over her shoulder.

Chris and I sat there awkwardly after that. I'd never seen her snap like that about someone before. I don't know how, but somehow this Tyler Seguin guy had really gotten under her skin, too.