‹ Prequel: Closer
Status: I don't know about this. I need to go back to the drawing board. On hiatus until further notice:)

Hold Tight

A baby is a strange thing.

A baby is a strange thing when you think about it. A small person that grows inside of another person. And that small person is half of the person that made it. It’s the most mind boggling and amazing biological process. Having a baby.

Having a child to care for. A child that relies on you for everything. A child who you would look out for through everything. The good and the bad. A person that you will love unconditionally because they aren’t just someone you raised, they are a part of you.

Laurel always thought pregnancy was amazing. It was something that only a woman could do. She loved the baby bumps, and the waddle; she loved baby stores and the smell of baby lotion. She loved to see mother and fathers care for their children. She loved looking at a tiny person that would soon grow up.

She loved everything about it. And maybe her love of pregnancy hurt her a little more when she found out that she couldn’t be pregnant herself. There was a small part of her that felt like she was a let down, or that she was being punished for wanting it too much.

After a while, she decided that her love of pregnancy far outweighed the negatives of not being able to do it her self. She wanted a baby, and she was determined to have one. No matter how it happened. Eventually she accepted that she would have to have a child by different means. Which hurt less and less as the prospect of having her own child became more tangible.

It wasn’t the pregnancy that was valuable to her anymore. It was the baby that she could have. Even if she couldn’t carry the child herself she could make a person that was half hers, and half Louis’. Which was all she wanted anyway.

She and her husband were soon going to be a family of three. They were going to have a child to take care of, to bathe, to feed, to love and to raise. They were going to have a real, honest to god family. Laurel couldn’t think of anything more perfect.

“I love you.” Laurel whispered in Louis’ ear as they sat in the waiting room of their surrogacy coordinators office. She followed it up with a small kiss right under his earlobe, just where he liked. Louis smiled and wrapped his arm tighter around his wife.

“I love you, too.” He whispered back with a smile. “Nervous?” He asked with a chuckle as he took in her anxious twitching.

“A little.” She admitted sheepishly.

“We’ve been preparing for this for months. How are you still nervous?” He asked her. He was genuinely surprised. Laurel had read enough about surrogacy to be a leading expert. And she was a nervous wreck in the chair.

“I don’t know. This is actually happening. It was different when it was just informational pamphlets, not its just…Its happening.” She tried to explain, but finding herself unable to.

“This is happening, and I couldn’t be more excited. You don’t need to be nervous, babe.” He assured her, lacing their fingers together and squeezing gently. Laurel smiled and rested her head on his shoulder.

“You’re right. You’re totally right. I’m sorry I’m such a mess.” She apologized.

“You’re not a mess. I just don’t want you to be nervous.” He clarified.

“Laurel and Louis? Dr. Tran is ready for you now.” The receptionist called with a smile. The couple stood and looked at her expectantly. “Just come on back. It’s the first door on you’re right.”

They thanked the receptionist and followed her instructions. It took them to a decent sized office where a small middle-aged lady sat at her desk, writing something on a stack of papers in front of her. Louis knocked hesitantly, causing her to look up.

“Hello! You must be Laurel and Louis. I have been looking forward to meeting you!” She said with a large grin. She stood from her desk and offered her hand to them. They each received a firm handshake from her and then she invited them to sit.

“My name is Pricilla Tran. I’m just and OB/GYN that specializes in surrogacy. So I know the ins and outs of pregnancy. I think it’s incredible what you two are doing. Absolutely amazing.” She said, clasping her hands over the tops of her many papers.

Louis looked over at Laurel and gave her a wide smile, before taking her hand like he had done in the waiting room.

“So before we get to all the technical stuff, I just want to get to know you two. How long have you been married?” She asked with a warm smile.

“A little over four years.” Laurel answered, running her thumb over Louis’ knuckles.

“Great. That’s a good amount of time to establish a relationship before adding a baby to the mix. I like to see couples who have devoted times to themselves before making a bigger family.” She commented.

“I agree. I think the timing worked out perfectly.” Louis confirmed with a nod.

“And if I may say so, you two make a gorgeous couple. And you look strong. You two look like you could take on anything.” She said, eyeing the couple carefully.

“We definitely are.” Laurel agreed, looking at Louis knowingly. Their divorce scare only proved that they were meant to take on the world together.

“Anyway. I prepared some information for you two. Before we do anything we first need to locate a surrogate.” She pulled a folder from one of her many piles of paper. “In here are some profiles of women who have been approved by the hospital to be surrogates. You can look through and choose one that you think will be best.”

Laurel took the folder from Dr. Tran with her free hand. “Once you choose the surrogate we can negotiate the contracts, do the sperm and egg extraction and try to conceive. Once you choose your surrogate I would recommend meeting with them. Once you have chosen, just give my receptionist a call to schedule you another appointment. I also would advise that you get a lawyer to draft a contract as soon as possible, preferably before you meet up with the surrogate. I want this to happen as quickly and efficiently as possible.”

Laurel and Louis both nodded in agreement. They spent some time asking Dr. Tran questions about the procedure and the experience as a whole. Even though they were well read, there was a lot they were unsure about. By the time they said goodbye to Dr. Tran, Laurel’s nerves were calm and replaced with the thrill of the future.

***


“You’re actually doing it?” Harry questioned, surprised at the two. Harry had invited himself to their house for dinner, which consisted of lasagna and a fair amount of snooping on his part.

“Yes. Do you think we’ve been joking around all these months?” Laurel asked him with a slightly annoyed expression.

“Well, not joking. I guess I just thought you were exploring the possibility?” Harry shrugged, taking a sip of his wine.

“I don’t know how I feel about this. The kid’s gonna replace me. I won’t have a space in your heart anymore.” He said dramatically, placing a hang over his chest.

“Harry, don’t be a prat. We couldn’t get rid of you if we tried.” Louis joked, poking Harry lightly with his fork. Harry glared at Louis playfully.

“So uh, you’re gonna have some lady’s kid then?” Harry asked, shoving a big bite into his mouth.

“No. It’ll be our baby. I just won’t carry it.” Laurel corrected. “That’s why it’s called gestational surrogacy. We’re going to be the biological parents.” She explained, pointing between her and Louis.

Gestational? That word is awful. Sounds like you’re vomiting.” Harry said, pulling a face.

“That’s hardly the point, Harry.” Laurel said, rolling her eyes.

“It’s a significant factor.” Harry pointed out.

“Harry.” Louis warned when he saw a look of anger flash across Laurel’s face.

“Sorry. Lo, I’m not making fun of you. This is just really weird. I can’t quite make sense of what’s going on. I you two are having a kid…its just….we’re growing up...” Harry trailed off, and covered Laurel’s hand that was on the table with his own.

“I know. But it’s amazing too. Me and Lou are starting a family. Finally.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me tell you a sob story. I have been trying and trying and trying and trying to think of a way to start this. and i can't. I have been at a loss for weeks. so finally I'm just like...screw this. so i sat down and this is what happened. Its not much...but its a start. and i think that if you squint real hard you might think its semi-decent:)

and i'm totally blushing over the number of subscribers i have already. tehehe. thanks for reading. and i promise it'll get better..i just needed a starting point ya know. consider this a prologue.

also...i started a new story..which i'm actually really happy about. I had a Zayn story planned...and i told everyone about it then i decided i had no idea what has happening...so i started this one. I love angst and drama..so i made The Days That Bind Us. Its going to focus on Zayn coming across his childhood friends after a couple years and they have grown apart. There's gonna be romance, drama, and more drama. just my kind of story. so...if you wanted to give it a read that would be cool:)