‹ Prequel: Bookmark
Status: Keep or Kill?

Four Years

The Goodbye

Silence filled the dark room and, for a moment, Derrik thought Carter had fallen asleep. His thought was proven wrong when Carter kissed him. A soft kiss, filled with love. Derrik returned the kiss and felt his boyfriend smile against his lips.

“I love you, Derrik,” Carter says, cuddling into Derrik.

The words pull at Derrik’s heart, causing a momentary frown – that, thankfully, Carter can’t see. In just a mere seven hours, they would be over eight hundred miles apart. For four years. They’d been friends for almost fourteen years now and a couple for three and a half. The longest they’d ever gone without seeing one another was five days.

Derrik reciprocated the statement as he held Carter closer. Eventually, to both the boys’ disappointment, they fell asleep.

--

As they packed the remainder of Derrik’s things into his truck, neither said a word. Derrik had said his goodbyes to his parents already, that was easy. He turned to Carter and pulled him close in a tight hug.

Carter hid his face in the crook of Derrik’s neck and forced himself to be strong. Reluctantly, he pulled away from the tight embrace and took a step back. He bit his lip and cast his gaze anywhere but Derrik.

“I’ll call you when I get there.” Derrik’s voice was soft, barely above a whisper.

The other boy gave a nod before he spoke, still avoiding Derrik’s eyes. “Okay.”

Derrik stepped closer and hugged the boy’s waist, Carter’s arms instinctively wrapped around Derrik’s neck. “I’ll always love you, Carter.”

Without a second thought, Derrik’s lips were on Carter’s in a final kiss. It was almost as if it were a promise. A promise that when Derrik returned, they would resume their relationship, as if nothing had changed. They exchanged final goodbyes before Derrik had to go if he wanted to make good time.

--

Like Derrik promised, he called Carter later that day. The call didn’t last long, but it was enough. That night, Carter stayed at Derrik’s house; Derrik attended his first college party.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, keep or kill?
This will have 5 more chapters.