In Need

Text

"What's your favorite book?" I asked the petite blonde sitting across the wood table from me, her name was Lilly and it was a blind date, we'd met in Starbucks for coffee instead of a dinner date. I never had any luck with my blind dinner dates, so I decided to switch it up. Lilly was 26 and studying journalism at NYU, she was also Darrah's niece.

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban," Lilly smiled before sipping her tea, "Actually, the entire Harry Potter series."

"It's a good one," I nodded, "You've seen all the movies, then?"

"Of course," She grinned, "What about you? What's your favorite book?"

"Slaughterhouse Five," I returned. She went on talking about books, she was a nice person from what I could tell so far and I was enjoying myself. Outside it was a warm, early spring day.

"So, When do you get back to work?" Lilly questioned.

"Two days, I have to head to Georgia," I answered, we all had to be on set the last week of March to begin prepping for the season.

"Oh, that's so soon!" She grinned, "Excited?"

"Yeah, I love going back and I like seeing everyone. I'm looking forward to it." I glanced out the window at the passing crowd and what I saw almost made me fall out of my chair. Evie headed into the coffee shop as I tuned Lilly out, she no longer had my attention. I'd seen the H & M billboard in Times Square with her on it and I'd seen her in a few commercials, I knew she was doing well. I'd asked Robin about her, but I hadn't called or text her. I'd been an ass to her, and I knew I owed her an apology, but part of me felt justified.
"Norman?" Lilly asked, waving her hand in front of me, "Did I lose you?"

"I'm sorry," I offered, not taking my eyes off of Evie as she spotted me, her face turning red, "Excuse me, please." Evie was out the door in a flash and I followed after her, "Hey," I called to her and to my surprise she stopped, turning to face me with a tightlipped smile.

"Hello, Norman," She said

"Hi," I returned, standing there, already feeling like a fool.

" You know," She started with her smile still in place, "I've been avoiding coming here for the last two months to prevent this moment from happening and the one day I stop in, here you are," She tiptoed up a little to peek over my shoulder, I turned to see Lilly sitting in the big picture window of the coffee shop, watching us, "On a date?"

"Yeah," I nodded, "Blind date."

"How's that going?" She questioned.

"It's good, so far," I nodded, brushing it off, "How are you?" I asked taking her in, "You look good." She did, she looked healthier and had more of an ease about her.

"I'm well," She replied, tucking her hair behind her ears, "My career is great. I guess I have you to thank for that?"

"Nah," I answered, "You have yourself to thank. I know you worked hard for it." A blush crept over her cheeks as she glanced down at the ground.

"I should let you get back to her," Evie smiled, bringing her pretty blue eyes back up to me, "Enjoy the rest of your date."

"Yeah," I gave her a nod, "Thanks." She turned to leave again, "Evie," She looked back at me, "Are you busy tomorrow? I leave for Georgia soon, we could catch up."

"I, erm," She looked uncomfortable, "I don't think that's a good idea Norman." I was a dumbass for asking. I nodded and wordlessly headed back for the safety of the coffee shop - why the fuck did I feel so rejected? I hadn't seen this girl in three months and I felt so embarrassed at her turning me down, despite Lilly sitting at the table, wanting to spend time with me. I reclaimed my seat across from her, readying myself for the questions she'd ask.

"Who was that?" Lilly asked politely.

"A friend I haven't seen in a while. Just wanted to see how she was," I answered, "Sorry about that." Lilly nodded and with that, our date lost its feeling of comfort and simplicity.

________________________________________
Evie


As I walked away from the coffee shop I felt so guilty for turning Norman down, I easily could have said yes. For as much as I'd thought about him, as much as I thought about calling him, I should have said yes.

"Stuuuupid," I mumbled to myself, still in need of caffeine.

So much had changed for me in the last few months, I'd stopped impersonating, I'd quit using ambien after Robin had found out about it. He'd instructed me to attend an outpatient program if I wanted to keep him as a manager and I had. I'd been clean for a month and was proud of myself. I'd started exchanging e-mails with my father, who had invited me home to visit for his engagement party and I'd accepted, with plans of staying there until after his wedding. Things were amazing for me, but seeing Norman made me wish things were different with us.

I fished my phone out of my pocket, I still had his number. I opened a blank text message as I stopped walking, leaning against a streetlight as I watched the cursor flash - waiting for me.

I'm sorry for being like that, I typed, I really enjoyed the time we spent together and honestly, I'd love to have that again. I thought there was a spark with you. Things felt different with you, Norman.

I re-read the words a few times, before rolling my eyes at my stupidity. I sounded like a love-sick teenager. What had we really had? It felt like so much more to me than it was. Maybe I was immature? Why did this have to be so frustrating?

"Ugh!" I grunted to myself, moving my finger to delete the paragraph. I was bumped by a business woman as she went to call for a taxi, I looked up as she apologized and gave her a smile, before turning my attention back to my phone. The message was sent. My finger must have hit the button when she'd bumped me, embarrassment and horror filled me as I read the words again, "No, no, no!" I whined, knowing Norman was just a few blocks up, reading my message, "Whyyyy?" I asked, looking up at the blue sky for an answer, "Now I sound desperate."

"Yeah you do," Said someone in passing, making me realize I'd been speaking outloud and that people were looking on, my embarrassment increasing tenfold. I blushed as I began walking again, heading home.

________________________________________
Norman


I'd watched as Lilly got into her cab, heading for her class. I knew she wouldn't be calling me after I'd left her to speak with Evie and I knew I'd be hearing from Darrah soon. I ran both hands over my face in frustration as I walked up the steps to my house, I unlocked the door and went to my bedroom, kicking my shoes off as I tried to finish packing. My phone chirped and for once I ignored it, not wanting to talk to anyone as I focused on getting everything ready for my trip.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you so much to: Maddy-MarieXO, bella87, krissyxo, kelizabeth,MoMo_92,explodenamerda, & jessegdixon for commenting. you have no idea how much i appreciate it!

hope you enjoyed this chapter, the next one will be a bit better. ;p