In Need

Timepiece

Norman
the next day

Image


Rain was falling in fat, heavy drops as I stepped out onto the stoop. I glanced up at the dark grey sky through my wayfarers, even through the clouds and tinted glass the world seemed to bright for me. I'd drank a lot the night before, leaving the night hazy in my memory. I knew I'd gone to Sean's birthday party and I'd - evidently - brought a girl home with me. When I awoke I found a smear of red on my pillowcase and my cheek, lipstick was my only guess. I'd lost the sunglasses I'd put on last night and had to dig out a spare pair from my closet.

After I pulled myself out of bed and got a shower, I went to my dresser looking for clothes. As I pulled my jeans on, my eyes had fallen on the pictures I kept there. The ones of Mira and I in Paris on the day I asked her to be my wife. I never thought I would get married, honestly. To me it's a big show for something that's between two people. If you love someone, being with them should be enough. I'd asked though and she said yes, that was eight months ago.

Last month she'd packed her things, cursing at me in Russian - and English - telling me I was too caught up in my career for a life with her. Mira was always a jealous person and I saw it blossoming more and more in her as I enjoyed my success. As she left she told me not to call and I hadn't. I hadn't made an effort to win her back or save things, I let her go. It wasn't that I didn't care or love her, but if she couldn't accept my career and stand by me as I was successful - or when I was failing - we would never work in the long run.

Thunder rolled as I pulled my hood up, the streets were less populated due to it being early on a Sunday morning and the weather. I placed a cigarette between my lips and lit it as I started my two block walk to Starbucks.

That morning I'd finally collected the pictures of us and placed them in a garbage bag, frames and all. As I went about gathering up all of the memories, I noticed my watch was missing. It had been a gift from Mira, a Michael Kors rose gold watch with a black leather band. She'd had it engraved for me on our first anniversary, it read: For Norman, all my love. I racked my brain, trying to remember if I'd worn it to the party. Could I have lost that as well?

Image


The rain was beginning to lighten as I reached my destination. I tossed my butt in the ashtray and headed inside. The coffee shop was empty, save for an older man reading a newspaper and a girl focused on a text book. A woman stood at the opposite end of the counter from me, waiting for her drink. She was on the short side, with long dark hair that fell in loose curls to the middle of her back.

The barista smiled, pulling my attention to her, "What can I get started for you today?"

"Hi, can I have a Venti Caramel Macchiato with Soy, please?" I ordered, pulling my wallet out of my back pocket. As I told her my order, she marked it on the cup.

"Name?" She asked, marker at the ready to write my name above my order on the cup.

"Norman," I said, fishing out a ten dollar bill.

"Okay," She said, after handing my cup over to her co-worker, "It's $4.85, today." I handed her the bill and dumped my change in the tip jar before heading towards the other end of the counter to collect my drink.

"I've got a Venti iced coffee with extra ice, and a shot of white mocha," The male barista announced, "For-"

"Thank you," The woman said, before he could finish. She offered him a polite smile and reached out for her cup, the sleeve of her sweater moved up a bit as she took her drink and gave me a glimpse of her wrist - and the watch she wore, it was far too big for her and incredibly similar to my missing one. She turned away from me - I hadn't gotten a good look at her face yet - heading to the counter that held sugar and the like. I watched her from behind my sunglasses as she added to her coffee, sipping it to test if it was right.

"Order for Norman," The barista called and as my name fell from his mouth, she picked her head up and glanced over her shoulder at me, giving me a full view of her face before going back to her coffee. I'd seen her before, but I couldn't figure from where. She capped her drink as I faced the barista.

"Thanks," I said, taking my coffee from the young guy and turning back in time to see the girl fleeing the shop. I followed after her with nothing but an inkling that she was wearing my watch. Sure, they'd made thousands of them, it wasn't a unique piece, but there was something about her and I needed to put my finger on it.

Outside the rain had stopped and had began descending upon the city. The girl was standing by the curb, her eyes on her phone as she waited for a cab. She now had her sleeves pushed midway up her forearms, giving me a clear view of the timepiece. My heart beat a little faster from nervousness as I approached her, I could end up looking like a total fool.

"Excuse me," I said, making her turn to look at me. She had pretty blue eyes and full, soft lips, "I'm sorry to bother you, it's just you look really familiar and I can't place your face."

She smiled, "I get that a lot."

"Just one of those faces, huh?" I smile, "Sorry to have bothered you," I paused, "Nice watch by the way."

She looked down at her delicate wrist, to the oversized wrist band, "Thanks," She gave me a smile, "And no worries."

"If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it?" I pulled my sunglasses off and tucked the arm of them in my tee shirt to let them dangle from my collar.

She hesitated, just for a moment before stammering out her answer "S-, Macy's."

"Oh, is that a new place? I've never heard of it," I smirked and despite my sarcasm, she continued talking to me instead of telling me to fuck off.

"You've never heard of Macy's?" She raised a perfectly arched eyebrow

"Sounded like you said S'macy's," The smartass in me was taking over. She rolled her eyes at me and looked up the street, undoubtedly searching for a cab, giving me a look at her profile. Her nose had the slightest upturn to it, her lips were perfectly proportioned and that was when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't know her, but I'd seen her. I'd seen her the night before, in fact, my memory clearing a bit.

"So it's a big deal if someone stutters?" She asked, giving me a slight attitude, "Didn't know it was illegal. Why do I have to explain shit to you anyways?"

"It's just," I said, brushing off her hostility, knowing I had to play this smart to get anywhere, "I had a watch very similar to that and now it's missing."

"Oh, did Michael Kors make you a custom watch?" She asked, "Where the fuck are all the taxis?" I remembered her sitting beside me on my bed, and bending down to press those perfect lips against my cheek. Surely it was her lipstick that stained my pillowcase.

"No, but mine was engraved on the back," I said. She gave me a look of annoyance, "And, that's a man's watch, obviously too big for you."

"Oh my god," She spat, "Can you just go? What are you getting at? You think I stole your watch and you want me to take this off and show you the back to prove it doesn't belong to you?"

"Could you?" I smirked, her eyes widened and I knew I had her.

"No," She said simply, "I don't have to."

"What's your name?" I asked, pulling my phone out of my pocket.

"Why?" She demanded, eyeing me as I unlocked my phone, "What're you doing?"

"Getting my property back," I answered, moving my thumb to mimic dialing 911.

"Norma," She said, lying to me as she put a hand on my arm to stop me, "My name is Norma."

"No," I said giving her a knowing smile, "That's what you told me last night." I winked at her as she withdrew her hand with a sigh.

"Hold this," She murmured, I tucked my phone in my pocket and held her cup for her as she slipped the watch off. I traded her drink back to her for the time piece and sure enough, engraved on the back was: For Norman, all my love. "My name is Evelyn, okay?"

"Evelyn," I smiled, mulling her name over, "Nice to meet you."

"Are you going to call the police?" She questioned, "I really-"

"Nah," I shook my head, "Well, maybe," She raised her eyebrows, "I'm a photographer-"

"I thought you were an actor," She said, putting an impatient hand on her hip.

"Photography is a hobby, acting is a job," I said, "And I believe last night I asked if you would model for me and you said no," Evelyn looked on, waiting for me to continue, "Model for me and I won't go to the-"

"Let me guess, you want me to come to your apartment and model naked, in your bed? You can take this to the cops, I'm not some whore who's just going to open my-"

"Whoa, whoa, girl," I said, putting my hands up to stop her outrage, "Here," I said, pulling my wallet out, I found a business card for the small studio space I rented, "This is the address for my studio," I handed the card over, "I don't want to fuck you. I want to take your picture."

"No?" She smiled, "You were willing last night," Heat rose to my cheeks as Evelyn looked the card over, "You get one hour."

"Two," I grinned, she rolled her eyes, "Saturday at 5 good for you?"

"I guess," She shrugged, "You just want me to show up here? What do you want me to wear?"

"I have clothes at the studio," I answered.

"Let me guess, bras and thongs?" She narrowed her eyes to scrutinize me.

"You think I'm just obsessed with gettin' you naked?" I asked, taking a step towards her, "Honey, maybe you want to be naked in front of me." I winked at her before turning to walk away, it was my turn to make her blush, "Be there at 5, Evie." I took a sip of my coffee as I began my walk home, a grin plastered on my face.

Image
Evelyn


I was in shock as I watched Norman walk away, my heart was thumping heavily with fear from the threat of the police being called. I looked down at the business card in my hand bigbaldhead productions, it read.

Why had I taken the watch? I had no answer. I just slipped it in my pocket, easy as pie. And now, I had to repay the debt.

"Shit," I muttered, as another taxi sped by me.

The dark sky opened up and rain began to fall again.
♠ ♠ ♠
hiya!

i would love to hear your thoughts/comments on this chapter. a big thank you to oshie and kristi182 for commenting!

--D

outfits:
Evelyn
Norman