In Need

Surprise

"Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me," I sang along with Israel Kamakawiwoʻole as I rinsed conditioner from my long hair. I examined my ends, noting that I would need a haircut before I left for Georgia the following day; I sighed, adding another thing to my mental to-do list. I was heading home to my Grandmother for Christmas, just like I'd done since I moved to New York, but this year seemed more stressful to me.

The music stopped playing from my phone as it began to ring, I groaned, turning off the water and quickly drying my hands before reaching for my phone. I'd had 12 calls for bookings, I'd turned down all but two, the others were for dates while I would be in Georgia. It hurt turning down the money, I always charged a little more around the holidays and new years. Without bothering to look at the number calling, I answered as I stepped out of my shower.

"Hello?" I asked, beginning to dry myself off the best I could one handed.

"Hey, Evie," Norman said bringing an almost instant smile to my face. We hadn't seen much of each other in the week following our date, but we'd been texting almost constantly.

"Norman," I smiled, wringing my hair out, "How are you?"

"Just got back to my apartment," He said, he'd been in California on business, "I was wondering if you had a couple hours to spare. I know you're leaving tomorrow morning so I understand if you don't, but there's somewhere I want to take you."

"Where's that?" I asked, wrapping myself in a towel.

"It's a surprise," He said. I chewed on my lip as I entered my bedroom, looking at the open, half full suitcase on my bed.

"Just a couple hours?" I asked, "I haven't finished packing, yet."

"Procrastinating, sweetheart?" He asked with a flirtatious tone.

"Yes," I answered, "Like you wouldn't believe, but I've had things to do too. I keep getting calls for holiday parties and new year's parties. I'm booked solid from the 26th to the first," I pulled on my underwear, cradling the phone between my shoulder and ear.

"You're gonna work yourself to the bone," He said, "Stretching yourself thin like that."

"I've done it every year," I said, pulling my jeans up my legs. I set the phone down, putting Norm on speaker phone while I got my bra and shirt situated, "I'll be alright, just a little tired."

"If you say so," He responded, "So, you got some time for me?"

"Of course," I replied, "Only two hours though."

"Only two hours," He said, "I promise."

Image


Our ride to wherever Norman was taking me was pleasant and filled with conversation about his business trip and me going back home to visit my Grandmother. Once the cab stopped, Norman paid the driver and stepped out first, holding his hand out to help me.

"Thanks," I smiled at him as I stood, Norman shut the door of the car, but didn't let go of my hand. I dipped my head, causing my hair to form a curtain between us, trying to hide the blush creeping over my cheeks. He lead me into an office building, my head still focused on him holding my hand, I hardly noticed when we boarded an elevator. I glanced up at Norman, only to find him already looking at me.

"What?" I asked with a smile.

"You're blushing," he said with a smile of his own, "And I can't figure out why," He leaned down closer to me, his lips brushed the top of my head as he spoke, "Why are you blushing, Evie?"

"You're still holding my hand," I squeaked out, shocked at how embarrassed and giddy I felt.

"I've seen you naked and a little hand holding makes you blush?" He asked with a light laugh as he stood upright.

"Where are we?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

"You'll see in a minute," He said, "I had to pull a few strings, but-" The elevator doors opened, cutting him off, "This is us." We stepped onto the floor and I saw the lettering behind the pretty, blonde receptionist.

Avett Modeling Agency.

"You brought me to a modeling agency?" I asked as we approached the desk.

"Excuse me," Norman said, getting the girls attention. She looked at him with instant recognition, her mouth falling open slightly before she could regain herself, "I'm here to see Robin."

"O-of course," She stammered, "He's expecting you, do you need me to show you to his office?"

"I've got it under control," He smirked and I could see her almost swoon, but she just nodded and gave him a tight smile, "C'mon," He said, starting for the long, glass hallway to our right.

"Why are we here, Norman?" I asked, feeling my anxiety and anger bubbling.

"I want you to talk to my friend," He said, my feet still following him, "He's a great agent, he's worked with a lot of big names and I think he can help you get your career going."

"I already have a career," I protested, pulling my hand from his. This made him stop and turn towards me, we were in front of Robin's door.

"A career as yourself," He corrected, "Not being someone who's long gone."

"I'm perfectly happy with my job, thank you," I said, crossing my arms.

"No you're not," He said, shaking his head, "I could see it in your face when we were at the diner. You're not happy being her all the time." I scoffed at this.

"You don't know what I feel," I said, as the door to the office opened, revealing a heavier set man wearing an expensive suit.

"Norman," The man said, "Everything alright?"

"Yeah," Norm responded, "Robin this is Evie."

"Hello," I said politely, "I'm sorry to have bothered you," I apologized, "And for wasting your time." I turned on heel and headed back for the lobby. I heard Norman exchanged some hurried words with Robin before he was behind me.

"Evie," He said in a hushed, but urgent voice. I ignored him and kept walking, thankfully the elevator was there, almost like it was waiting for me, "Evie, c'mon, I'm trying to help you," His voice was a bit louder, but still quiet as I boarded, pressing the button marked one repeatedly, hoping the doors would close before he reached me. Like a blessing the metal doors slid shut, just before Norman could reach the elevator, but I heard him say my name one last time before the doors closed, "Evelyn."

The whole ride down to street level, I was fuming. How could he just spring that on me? Just 'surprise' me like that? I was fine doing what I was doing, I didn't need to change my career now. I didn't need his help, I didn't need anyone's.

Image
Norman,
The Following Day.


I sat at my computer, going through e-mails and browsing the news while my t.v. played re-runs of Star Trek. My phone was beside me, silent. I'd kept it closer than usual, just in case Evie decided to text me. I didn't expect her to, but part of me hoped she would contact me. I wasn't the type to get hung up on a chick, I wasn't into chasing them and playing that hard to get bullshit, but this was different. There was something about her I couldn't shake.

I opened google and typed into the search bar 'Evie Opal' before going back and changing 'Evie' to 'Evelyn'. I clicked search and in nanoseconds I had hundreds of results. There was her professional website, offering her impersonation services and contact information, a facebook, a linkedin, and a myspace, but out of all of these one link caught my eye.

My Night with Marilyn

I clicked on the link, it was some college kid's blog. I was met with pictures of Evie, half naked on top of a man, obviously giving him a lap dance. I scrolled down, finding eight similar pictures, followed by a paragraph.

This girl could move! The kid wrote, I scanned through the words, coming to a stop at: For an extra $500, I got the best blow job I've ever had. Worth every penny, guys. If you're in New York and need some, ahem, fun, give this girl a call.

"Fuckin' idoit," I murmured, reading the kid's admittance of paying for sex. I looked back through the pictures, trying to be sure they were really her. I didn't have to do that, though, I knew they were from the pink scar running along her upper thigh, "What the hell are you doin', Evie?" I asked my computer screen as I leaned back in my chair, sighing heavily and wondering why in the fuck I cared so much.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you to explodenamerda and krissyxo for the comments! :)