Status: incomplete

This Is What I Want

16.

“Delaney,” Damon whispered softly. His lips were on mine, an urgent, fearful kiss. I kissed him back with everything in me. My fear was palpable.

I pulled back and stared into his eyes. I tried to memorize his every feature. A senseless fear that I would lose him gripped me. Tears made their way silently down my cheeks. I knew they were tears of fear, relief, and many other emotions I couldn’t describe. His eyes held every emotion I was feeling, and I knew that he saw in Klaus’s eyes what I had seen.

“I will not let that monster hurt you, do you hear me? I will do everything in my power to protect you.”

I nodded.

“I know, but Damon, that’s what he wants. He wants the challenge of you protecting me!”

Irrational fear broke me free from his arms. I began pacing the length of the room, Stefan and Elena momentarily forgotten.

“He’s going to do anything to try to get to me to hurt you! He’s not going to stop until he gets what he wants. He’ll do anything to try to get to you to hurt me! I can’t stay here! Not while he’s around! I need to run, to get away! He would love nothing more than to rid the world of the Salvatores, for fun!”

The words came pouring out of my mouth, and I had no energy or will to stem their flow. Panic seized my chest and my breathing became labored.

“Delaney..”

“I have to get away! I couldn’t bear it if anything happened to you because of me!”

“Delaney!”

“I can’t! I can’t, I can’t, I can’t,” I chanted over and over.

“Delaney!”

Stefan’s voice broke through my reverie. I turned to look at him. He was holding Elena close. I could sense her fear from where I was standing.

“Delaney, you can’t leave. It’ll be worse for everyone if you run. Klaus will know he’s gotten to us which is exactly what he wants! He’ll pursue you knowing that Damon will be right behind. That’s exactly what he wants! He’s going to try to use the two of you, to get to us. He’ll still be looking for Katherine, but he loves a challenge, a fight. He’ll try to use you to get information from us. Fighting an Original will never end well. You can’t leave, not while Klaus is still here.”

I came to a stop and sagged into Damon’s arms which had appeared around me.
“What are we going to do?”

“Stefan and I are going to have a 24 hour watch on you and Elena. You will go nowhere without us, do you understand? Nowhere. Not even to school. We will be with you all the time.”

I could only nod. Damon’s fighting words lifted my heart a bit and relaxed my tense shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yo. The story continues.

As always, thanks for sticking around!

xo