Status: incomplete

This Is What I Want

17.

I woke the next day to Damon’s arms around me. I lay in silence, mulling over Klaus’s words from the day before. Apprehension filled me once more as I continued to think on what he had said.

“Don’t worry, baby. I’m not going to let anything happen to you,” Damon murmured in the quiet.

“I know I just can’t get my mind off of what he said. Do you really think he’s going to try to hurt me or Elena?”

“I don’t know. I think he’s willing to use anyone, hurt anyone, or do anything to get to Katherine. He wants what he wants and won’t stop until he gets it. Killing us will just be a fun game for him. Now that he knows he has a potential challenge he’s going to do anything he can to draw a fight.”
We lay in silence for a few moments longer. I let Damon’s words swirl around in my brain as his hands ran through my hair; I couldn’t, and didn’t, try to make sense of what was happening. I was too frozen with fear and uncertainty to try to figure it out. A question popped out at me as we lay there.

“Damon?”

“Hmm?”

“Why do you and Stefan keep referring to Klaus as an ‘Original’? What does that mean?”

His hands continued to run through my hair.

“When we say ‘Original’ or refer to any vampire as being from the ‘Original Family’, what we mean is that they are actually the first vampires to exist.”

He paused to let the words sink in. I couldn’t wrap my brain around the number of years that that meant. I sat up and turned to face him.

“The first vampires to exist? Ever?”

He nodded.

“But that would mean that they are centuries old!”

He nodded again.

“Klaus and his family were turned by their mother, a witch. It was her curse on them. Immortality meant they would never die, never join her. She could be at peace. Vampirism was her curse; it was her way of keeping them away, cursing them to live forever on the earth.”
I let the silence spin out as I tried to order the facts in my head.

“If they’re the first vampires and cannot ever die, how are we going to stop Klaus?”

Damon chuckled and pulled me back down to him.

“I don’t know, but I’ll be damned if we don’t give it a shot.”

I sighed.

“Damon, I’m scared.”

He pulled me closer.

“I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
xo