Status: incomplete

This Is What I Want

01

“Hey, are you alright?” I called out as I approached the parking lot. Elena was sitting at a table with her head in her hands, a huge sigh escaping her lips. Her head snapped up and she looked around for the owner of the voice. I noticed fear, confusion, and adrenaline in her eyes. I waved and walked toward her, letting her know that I had been the one to speak. The emotion flitted from her eyes as fast as it had appeared.

“Are you okay?” I asked her again. She looked at me, and I could tell from her eyes that she was falling apart inside, another huge sigh.

“Honestly? Not really. I’ve just had some crazy news, and I don’t really know what to make of it.”

“Do you mind if I sit?” I asked. She shook her head and I sat down beside her.

“Well, I don’t know what information you have, but I bet that things are going to turn out okay. Try to just give it some time and see what happens,” I said. “Just take it one day at a time.”

“Thanks, Delaney. I’ve been trying to come to terms with it in my mind, but it’s just so crazy I’m not sure I believe it!” I nodded and hugged her, her arms wrapping around me.

“Hey! Elena! There you are! We’ve been looking all over for you!” We both pulled away and looked up. Two girls came running up to us, a blonde and a brunette.

“Are you ready?” the blonde asked. Elena nodded and turned toward me.

“Guys, this is Delaney. I’ve known her practically my whole life. Delaney this is Caroline,” a gesture toward the blonde, “and Bonnie,” a gesture toward the brunette. A smile spread across my face and I stood to face them. A ball of nerves had started in my chest. I hated meeting girls. They were so judgmental and unforgiving. I took a deep breath.

“It’s nice to meet you Caroline, Bonnie. I was just on my way out, but hopefully I’ll see you around sometime,” I said and hoisted my bag farther up on my shoulder. I turned to leave, mentally kicking myself for giving up so easily, but a hand on my elbow stopped me.

“Why don’t you join us? We’re just headed to the Grill with nothing to do,” Elena said. I looked at her friends and they nodded in affirmation, my invitation extended by all three.

“Sure.”

Elena beamed and the nerves that had built up in my chest faded away.

----

We climbed into Caroline’s car as she drove to the Grill.

“So Delaney, what brings you here?” Bonnie asked from beside me.

“I used to live here as a child, but my dad got a job in another city. We moved there for a few years, but I guess something about this place just drew us back.”

“Do you like it here?” Caroline questioned, her eyes looking at me in her rear view.

“Yes. I love it here. It’s so homey and comfortable.”

They continued to question me on the short ride to the Grill, laughing and chatting along the way. Little did I know that my homey and comfortable town was about to change my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know this is kind of a shitty chapter, but it should start to get better. i've been writing this like crazy and am continually editing/adding/changing things.

i posted this because i felt like you guys deserved something other than the small prologue!

xo