Status: this is ongoing....

Girl Named Song

Reflections (September 4, 2011)

September 4, 2011
Life is like an earthquake. At any moment you can be completely shaken away from reality. There’s a chance you could find shelter and that not much other than you’re sanity will come out bruised, but you can be beaten and weathered by this “earthquake” until you can’t stand to live through it a moment longer. Suddenly everything is falling into pieces all around you. There will be many earthquakes you’ll have to watch out for, but in the end, you’ll realize that nothing can survive the one severe quake that will rock you in your life. It is how you die.
There’s a chance that you’ll be slowly rocking in a rocking chair at an old folks’ home, satisfied with the life that you’ve led and the examples that you’ve set. For many people on this planet, though, this earthquake is the end of a long and gruesome battle. In the past month I’ve realized that, for some, death is a relief; it’s an unknown saviour to the ones who have suffered too much. It can be shocking to think about it and realize that some people make this earthquake happen, they force themselves to stand out in the open and fight the fear and the anxiety that comes with knowing that there is a chance that your time on this Earth will end. They make themselves die.
Recently, a few National Hockey League players, Rick Rypien and Wade Belak, were found dead. Both of their deaths were ruled suicide. It became known that both had suffered from depression. As more information came in about the events, I realized something that really sticks out and cannot go unmentioned. Rypien and Belak had been battling these mental issues on many levels, but, other that Rypien taking a leave of absence from the NHL for “personal matters”, nobody knew. And of course there could’ve been that one person in each of their lives that could’ve helped them and made them happy, but there wasn’t. Take it from me, a teenage girl battling depression borderline insanity, everybody needs somebody. You can’t just see a sad look on someone’s face and ignore it.