Never Going Back Again

Nineteen

Billy pulled up in front of The Office. He still couldn’t believe what had just happened. He couldn’t believe what he had just done. Most of all he couldn’t believe that he has just brought Valencia with him to The Office. If killing her father wasn’t going to change her, then bringing her to his place of work would.

He didn’t want to bring her, but she didn’t want to go home. The office was the only place he knew where they would be alone. None of his crew would be here. They were probably still drunk at the bar.

“Do you think I can have one of those?” Valencia asked as she pointed to his cigarettes on the dash. Billy pushed them towards her and she thanked him. The last time she smoked was the first time she smoked. Adalae had just gotten a pack from one of her brother’s friends and she didn’t want to try it alone.

“So, now you remember how to get here,” Billy said. “Don’t come around unless it’s an emergency. A life or death kind of emergency, okay?” Valencia nodded.

“Can we go in?” She asked. Billy ran a hand down his face and took a deep breath. Never in a million years did he think he would be bringing Valencia back to The Office, let alone give her a tour of the place. He loved Val because she never begged for drugs or money. She seemed to try to stay out of his work entirely. But now she wanted into his Office. He was trying to think of something to tell her so she would change her mind, but the way she was looking at him sent chills down his body.

“Do you have all your shots?” He sighed. Valencia just smiled. She got out of the car before he did. “Ah, what the fuck have I done?” Billy asked himself as he got out of his car. Valencia was already up the steps by the time he closed the door. He couldn’t help but notice that she had a little pep in her step. She seemed happy. Way too happy. She took another drag from her cigarette before tossing it.

“Come on, slow poke,” she grinned as she waited by the entrance. “I want to see the inside.” Billy frowned as he walked up the steps.

“Val,” Billy sighed when he reached her. “I don’t-” he was interrupted with her lips on his. “Val,” he said pulling away.

“You gonna show me or not?” She smirked. Billy shook his head as he stepped inside. Valencia giggled as she bounced behind him. “I want to see everything.”

“You won’t,” he said leading her into the first room. “First floor only. You really shouldn’t be here.”

“What’s on the other floors?” She asked as she leaned against a counter. She looked around the small, rotting room. This place looked like hell. There was one light on in the center of the room, but it was still very dark.

“Nothing for you to concern yourself with.”

“Well,” Valencia smiled. She walked over to Billy, wrapping her arms around him and placing her chin on his chest. “What if I want to make it my concern?” Billy grabbed both of her arms and put them at her sides.

“This isn’t a fucking game, Valencia.” He said walking over to the counter behind her. He gripped the counter with both of his hands and sighed. “It’s bad enough I brought you here in the first place. I don’t want you getting into this shit.”

“What if I can help?” She asked as she sat on the counter. This sent Billy into a frenzy.

“I don’t need your fucking help. I need you to stay home and fucking take care of your brother.” He was upset, and she could tell. If he gripped that counter any harder, he was sure to break a piece off. But Valencia still wasn’t hearing him. She was still too high off what had just happened. So she sat there with her legs crossed, bouncing because she couldn’t keep still. Her eyes wandering around the room too fast to process anything. She just really wanted to go to the other floors.

“Can we please just go up-” She began.

“Val, would you shut the fuck up?” Billy yelled. Valencia jumped. “Just keep your mouth shut for a fucking minute, okay? What we just did may have been easy for you, but I just need a minute to fucking think.”

Billy’s hands were sore from gripping the counter so hard. He finally let go and ran his hands down his face. He stood there for a while like that, his back turned to her, not saying a word. And she just sat there, bouncing on the counter. Eyes still scanning the room. Her eyes finally settled on Billy.

“Billy,” she said. He sighed. “Is it okay for me to talk now?” She asked. He nodded. “Come here.” It took him a few seconds to respond, but he eventually turned around and walked over to her. She opened her legs and pulled him between them. “We just did a shitty thing,” she said placing her hands on his cheeks. “I know that. But if we didn’t do it, I wouldn’t be here. You did something me for, so I just want to return the favor. I want to help.”

“Working for me, isn’t helping me,” he said. Valencia’s hands fell from his face and she placed them on his hips. “I don’t need the added stress. I worry about you enough while you’re at home. Just-” He stopped when he felt her hands on his belt buckle.

“Just what?” She asked as she continued to try and get his pants undone. Billy brought his hands up to her face.

“Just don’t get into this shit, okay?” Valencia nodded just before she leaned in and kissed him.

Image

“Everything all right, Billy?” Joe asked as they stepped through the door.

“Mondo wake up?” Valencia asked as she stepped inside.

“Just for a while. He made me watch Halloween with him until he fell back asleep.” He laughed.

“Thanks again, Joe,” Valencia said as she placed a kiss on his cheek. Joe shot Billy a nervous look, but Billy wasn’t even paying attention. He was starring at his feet as if they were trying to teach him algebra. This made him look at Valencia. She sauntered off to her room with this added confidence. She seemed perky and upbeat.

“Billy,” she called as she got to the entrance of her room. “You coming?” She asked. They both heard her let out this cute, sweet chuckle. “Again?”

Joe raised his brows at Billy. “What the fuck?”

Billy gave Joe’s chest a light tap as he walked past him. “Get some sleep,” was all he said. Joe watched him walk down the hallway and heard the door shut softly. He was left standing there with a bewildered look on his face.

Image

The next day was a bit different. Valencia was calm, but Billy could tell that her high still hasn’t worn off. She didn’t cry today though. Billy found it odd, especially since today was the day that she had to bury her mother.

Not very many people showed up. Valencia said most of her family didn’t live in the states. Valencia didn’t bother to talk to the few that showed up though. Billy was a few grave sites away with the rest of his boys watching Valencia. People would walk up to her and Armondo, give their condolences and she wouldn’t blink an eye. She just sat there. She had changed so much in the last twenty-four hours, it broke Billy’s heart. He wasn’t the only one who saw it.

Armondo was sitting quietly next to Valencia. The large picture of his dead mother a few feet in front of him. It wasn’t a recent picture. It was an old one Valencia had found. It was a few years before Armondo was born, back when she still with their father. She had extremely curly hair that hung past her shoulders. Her eyes looked so bright, so happy. A gorgeous shade of brown with hints of green. She was slightly thinner then. Her cheekbones defined against her flawless skin. She looked so happy.

Armondo wrapped his arm around Valencia’s as he continued to stare at his dead mother’s picture. He was so sad but he refused to cry. Armondo felt that he had to stay strong. He could tell something was off about Valencia. He knew it had something to do with the man in the suit that came over after their mother died.

“Armondo, is that you?” Valencia and Armondo both looked up to see their father’s sister. Armondo had no idea who she was, but Valencia remembered her. Aunt Joyce. She was the baby of her father’s family. In her late thirties, she was an attractive lady. She had quite a bit of work done, but didn’t look too plastic. “You’ve grown so much,” she smiled. She leaned down giving him a tight hug. “I’m so sorry,” she cried. “For the both of you.” She turned to Valencia to give her a hug. There was an awkward moment when she realized Valencia was not hugging her back. She stood up quickly and ran her hand down her black dress.

“Goodness,” she beamed as she looked back at Armondo. “You look just like your father. So handsome. He said he would be here today, but I haven’t-”

“Let’s go, Armondo,” Valencia said as she pulled Armondo out of his seat.

“Val, where are we going?” Armondo asked. Valencia said nothing. She looked over at Billy and motioned for his car.

“Let’s go,” Billy ordered.

“What just happened?” Joe asked.

“Let’s go,” Billy repeated.

As Valencia walked away from her mother’s funeral, she could hear murmurs from her family. Her Aunt Joyce was calling out to her. Armondo was questioning why they were leaving. She didn’t care, she just wanted out of there. She couldn’t stare at her mother’s picture any longer. She definitely couldn’t handle talking to her father’s sister about her now dead father. She needed to leave. And even more than that, she needed a drink.

Billy opened the door for Valencia. He didn‘t know what had happened. He figured whatever it was, it had something to do with the plastic blonde lady.

“Val,” he said in a hushed tone.

“Get us out of here,” She said as she put Armondo in the back seat. “Now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It took nine months to write this... lame.