Never Going Back Again

Four

World History Notes. That's all Valenica's paper said. She looked at her teacher as he wrote things down on the huge board in front of the room. She looked at her classmates around her. Everyone seemed to be so focused. Everyone but her. The only thing on Valencia's mind was Billy Darley. What made him think I'd be back over there? She asked herself. What the hell does he know? That's all she could think about. As her peers answered random questions and wrote down things that could help them in the future, she was thinking of how right Billy was. She was going to go back over there. Only because she knew that he thought she wouldn't. I'll show him. She thought. She couldn't help but let a smile grace her lips as her mind raced. I'll go over there. He would never expect that. Valencia closed her notebook, slipped her pencil in her bag, and got up. She quietly walked out he back door without giving her class another thought.

Valencia made sure to call. Adalae answered the phone, as promised, and let her know it would be okay. Valencia drove over there with a certain satisfaction that she couldn't explain. She just couldn't wait to see the look in that asshole Billy's face when Adalae opened the door. God she couldn't wait.

Image

"I knew you'd be back," Billy smirked from the sofa. That certain satisfaction that Valencia felt on the way over was gone. Now all she felt was rage. Billy Darley rubbed her the wrong way. Everything about him pissed her off. The way he lazily leaned back in Adalae's sofa and smoked. The way his eyes were half lidded. Even the tattoos that he showed off. Everything about him made Valencia's stomach churn. "No smart ass comments today?" Billy asked.

"No death threats today?" Valencia asked. Billy smiled a bit. His eyes brightening as the corners of his mouth turned up. Valencia felt her heart flutter as he looked at her. Never before has she seen anything so gorgeous. She wanted to smile back. She wanted to do something. That smile he just sent her way felt like a gift. It felt like something she'd never get again, she wanted to savor it.

"You wait long enough," he said. "They'll come." He stared at Valencia. His smile was now gone and replaced by that vacant death glare he seemed to sport all day.

"Hi Adalae," Valencia said as she finally acknowledged her friend. She'd been so consumed by the thought of pissing off Billy, she forgot about Adalae.

"Hey," she smiled. "It's a bit early." Adalae said as she looked at the clock that was hanging on one of her wall. "You should still be in class."

"I left early," Valencia said.

"Yeah?" Adalae asked wide-eyed. "Just to see me?" Valencia shrugged. She looked over at Billy who was smirking again.

"I came to see if you were okay," she said.

"Well, I'm good," she nodded.

"Well," Billy sighed as he stood up. He put on his brown leather coat. "I've gotta go do some things," he said looking over at Adalae. "I'll be back later."

"How much later?" She asked. Billy didn't say anything. He just looked at Valencia. She tried to match his stare, but she couldn't hold it. His piercing stare was so intense it made Valencia shutter with fear and delight.

"You should be leaving too," he said to Valencia. She wanted to come back with something that would make him want to grind his teeth, but the way he was staring at her was making her ache in the most wonderful way. Valencia nodded and stood up. She walked over to Adalae, giving her a hug.

"I'll be back tomorrow," she said. All Adalae could do was nod. Billy opened the door and let Valencia go out first. She felt like she couldn't walk straight with him behind her. He was watching her, judging her every movement.

"You don't need to come check up on Adalae," Billy said as they got outside. "I won't let anything happen to her."

"Yea," Valencia sighed. "Well, your word doesn't mean shit to me. Honestly, I think you might be the one to hurt her.“ Billy grabbed her arm like he did the day that they first met.

"Get in the car," he said nodding towards his car. Valencia looked up at him.

"You gonna pull that shit again?" She asked quietly. Billy shook his head as he lightly let go off her arm.

"No, you don't have to," he said as he walked over to his car. "If it's too good for you." Valencia walked over to the passenger side of his car and got in. She plopped down on the leather and put on her seat belt. "You're not even gonna think about it?" Billy asked smiling like he did earlier. This time Valencia returned the smile. It was probably one of the best things she could've ever done. Because after that, Billy gave her another rare gift: his laughter.