Changeling

Chapter 9

Margeux explained the situation carefully to the blonde in his own native language. “Of course I know how to speak German.” She’d said to them. “I only lived there for my entire apprenticeship.” She left the information for him to deal with before going to her room to sleep. “The shop opens early tomorrow.” She explained. “And you idiots have kept me up almost the whole night.”

Sven sat down at the dining table, clasping a cup of coffee in his hands. “So Wren is out.” He took a deep breath, keeping his calm. “Does my court know? Or the realm court?”

“We don’t know.” Dillon was seated next to him, leaned back in his seat tiredly. The clock on the microwave read 3:42 am, and Sven was the only one who’d gotten any sleep in his system since their arrival. “We figured you might know more about it than we would, but I guess not.”

“If I’d known he was free don’t you think I would have told you?” His words were sincere as he looked at Dillon. “If I had the slightest clue that he was involved I would have let you know.”

“I know.” Dillon sighed deeply. “Can you get in touch with someone there? Your family, maybe? They are higher ups aren’t they?”

Sven shrugged. “My father is just an accountant for our guard. He doesn’t have much information. My mother is probably closer to who you need. She’s a healer in the realm court.”

“Any way you can get in touch with them? See if they know anything?”

He nodded. “It’s about 9:30 there. They might be at work, but I can try calling them.”

“Do you have enough energy to call?” Lexi looked at her friend nervously. He’d just woken up after exhausting all of his magic to get them to where they were safely. She didn’t want him to collapse again after calling on his parents through whatever means they used. “How do you call them?”

Dillon laughed under his breath before patting her head again as if she were nothing more than a child. “With a phone, silly.”

Lexi blushed a bit as Sven smiled at her, feeling naïve on the subject. “I never know with you people…”

“We might be magic, but we embrace technology.” Dillon smiled at her before turning to Sven. “Use Margeux’s phone on the wall there. She won’t miss the cash she spends on long distance.” His smile turned devilish at the thought.

“My parents will probably have me on the phone for a long time.” Sven said, standing up with his coffee. “You two should sleep. I’ll tell you about it all in the morning.”

Lexi nodded. Between the car ride and the mental exhaustion, even the floor was calling out to her as a bed. “Where do I stay?”

“I’m taking the couch.” Dillon offered. “I can sleep through a hurricane, not to mention you’re a girl.”

“So?” She laughed lightly, placing her hands on her hips with a smile. “Do I have cooties now?”

The elf chuckled. “No but you deserve your privacy.” He smiled at her and pointed. “Margeux’s got another guest room at the end of the hall.”

“Yeah yeah I get it. Big scary ‘fighter’ elf afraid of girls.” She teased, standing up to make her way to the guest room.

“Oh believe me,” he grinned, “I’m anything but afraid.” He purred. “Now go on to bed, madam. Before I show you how courageous I can be.”

Her insides shuddered excitedly, but she was careful to only show him a smile as she turned. “I’m so scared.” She laughed a bit, perhaps more to herself. “Goodnight Dillon. Good night Sven.”

“Träum was schönes.” She heard from Sven. She knew the phrase from class. Its literal translation was “Dream something good,” but was used more as a sincere form of “sweet dreams.”

As Lexi lied down in the guest bedroom she tried to think about the last time she’d had a dream. It was rare for her at all, and normally when she did it was of the wreckage that was her family home. She didn’t remember it as clearly as she used to, but she could remember remembering it. She used to see the colors of the brick, feel the pain of the glass in her leg. Just as sleep began to pull her in, Lexi began to wonder if the dream was real at all, or if it was just another illusion created to keep her grounded.

That night, Lexi did dream. She dreamed of Wren. Or rather, she dreamed of Warren.

It was as if she was watching a movie. In fact, upon further investigation, she was. She was sitting in the theater where she found out what she is. On the screen played the best moments between her and her fae. He taught her to write, and to sing. His voice was unlike any she’d ever heard, and still was. Hers was only able to carry a tune, and as he sang along with her, the tune she carried was lost in his.

“Take your medicine, Alexis.” He’d tell her. When she was young he’d crush her medicine into her applesauce to eat. He’d pat her head and smile at her warmly, the way she always remembered his smile.

When she was five, Warren taught her to ride a bike. He taught her to pedal one foot in front of another. Soon she was zipping up and down the sidewalk in front of their house. When she was six he took the training wheels off and taught her to ride without them. The first day she gave up after falling and scraping her knee and he let her. “Just come back to it when you’re ready. I’ll be here.” He’d said, propping her bike inside the garage.

She did come back. And he was there. He was always there. Lexi knew that he was. And in that dark theater, the scenes reminding her of him brought tears to her eyes as she watched. She missed the man that had taken such good care of her during her life. Her eyes were glued to the screen as she watched each scene pass by. As she did, the lighting darkened. His smile faded as he worked with her. He began to scold her for things she’d never known were wrong.

“Who have you spoken today, Alexis?” She blushed instead of responding. She remembered that day. It was the day she had her first real crush. She was eleven. “It was a boy wasn’t it?” Neither his smile nor his voice was as warm then. “Girls can’t be friends with boys, Alexis.”

She looked up at him with wide blue eyes. “Why not? He’s really nice to me. He likes to draw and he’s really good at it.”She gave him a large innocent smile, leaning up on her toes as she thought about the boy.

“Because, girls who are friends with boys are not good girls.” He told her.

“But I’ll be good.” She begged him, tugging lightly on the hem of his shirt. “I promise I won’t do anything. I just want to be friends with him…”

“Alexis.” His voice was stern and cold. “I’m the only boy you need in your life. Aren’t I? Do you want to replace me?”

She shook her head quickly. “No, Warren. That’s not it. I just want a friend…”

“You can’t have two boys though, Lexi. You know that.” He took her in his arms, but she didn’t move to hug him back. “I’m all you need, right? You won’t ever need someone else instead?”

Her arms wrapped slowly around him. “No one else.” She said sadly. “I only need you.”

“No I don’t.” she stated from her seat. Lexi tried to stand and found her arms pinned to the seat as another scene played on the screen. Homecoming her junior year.

“Warren. A guy asked me to the dance tonight.” She was standing tall, head held high. Her hair was down to her shoulders in its natural shade of brown. “I want to go with him. I told him yes.” She tried to sound confident as she told him.

Warren turned to her from the kitchen sink. “I already made dinner, Alexis. You’re going to stay here and eat.”

She shook her head, but didn’t say a word in response.

He took in a deep breath. “Is that how you’ll treat me now?” He crossed his arms, not making a move towards her. “I took you in; I fed you and clothed you. I tried to be everything for you, and now you’re making decisions on your own. Is that how things work now? You don’t need me anymore?”

“No! I do! I just… He’s a really nice guy, Warren. It’s one dance. Please.” Her control was breaking in front of him. She’d promised herself she wouldn’t beg. “I’ll be home by 9. We won’t do anything. It’s just one dance…”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, Lexi.” He didn’t give her a reason and his opinion never changed. As much as Lexi cried and begged that night, she was not able to go to the dance. Instead, she went to her room, took out a pair of scissors and cut her hair off in a jagged sloppy cut.

“Is that better? Are you happy? No one will ask me out again, alright? You don’t have to worry.” She slammed her door in his face and cried in the floor that night. The next morning she received a text from Allie saying the boy arrived with another girl from their class instead.

Warren held her as she cried again. “I knew he wouldn’t be good for you. I’m so sorry that he hurt you, Lexi. I promise I never will. I’ll be all you need, okay?”

Tears were rolling down her cheeks in the theater seat. She pulled at her arms trying to run from the screen. How had she been so blind? How did she never see his pull on her?

Lexi came home late one night. Warren was pacing back and forth in the living room. She remembered this scene clearly. She remembered looking up at him like a scolded pup as he screamed at her, and responding to him with a question he’d never expected. She remembered the pain as his hand whipped across her cheek.

Her dead voice mocked her as she shut the door to her room. “You’re all I need, Warren.”

“I don’t need you!” She screamed. “I don’t need him!” her hands were free to wipe her tears at last. The projector died out suddenly. “I don’t need him!” She called out as the lights came up, and Lexi was left in an empty theater. She looked into her hand and found a ticket stub for the movie that was just playing.

“Who Do You Need?”

Lexi could feel the salt dried on her cheeks when she woke up. She could remember each scene that played in the dark theater. She even remembered the title of the film; the question she couldn’t answer. Who did she need?

She washed her face before heading into the living room. Everyone was awake before her, sitting at the table with empty plates. “What?”

Dillon smiled at her. “We were just telling Margeux about your fabulous cooking.”

She chuckled and headed into the kitchen. “Coming right up.”

Lexi didn’t know what or who she needed. But she knew what she wanted. She wanted that smile, those people, and the feeling of being wanted for the rest of her life.

Sven licked the last bit of the blueberry filling off of his plate. “I wish I had room for more.” He’d already had two servings of blueberry stuffed French toast.

“I’ve had better.” Despite that, Margeux’s fork landed on an empty plate in front of her. “But it wasn’t bad.”

Lexi took the compliment anyways, smiling softly. “Thanks.”

“Alright everyone’s up so you only have to tell us once.” Roger was back to life after a full night’s rest. “What did your parents say about Wren?”

The German wiped his fingers on his napkin. “They are turning the information in to the guard. They probably won’t inform us though.”

“That’s a lot of help.” Dillon rolled his eyes. “So all we did is help the guard with their job with nothing in return.”

Roger shrugged. “If they see that he’s gone, they’ll send groups out to find him. That’s a little bit of a help.”

“Not really what we were hoping for though. How long is it going to take them to realize he’s here?”

“Too long.” Margeux said, standing up and gathering the dishes. She looked at Lexi before she could protest her cleaning. “Sit down. You’ve made enough of a mess.” She kicked the dishwasher door shut before coming back to the table. “If you ask me you’d better get ready for a fight. Wren couldn’t have gotten out of jail on his own, which means he’s got some friends. I don’t know if they followed him here nor not, but I’d be prepared if I were you.” She looked over at Sven. “I have something to boost your energy if you need it, little fae.”

“He doesn’t need your potions Margeux. You’ve been paid enough.” Roger stated, giving the woman a knowing glance from across the table.

With a huff, Margeux leaned back in her seat, arms crossed like a defiant teenager. “Fine. Pass out if I care.”

Sven glanced at her carefully. “What kind of potion?”

A grin flashed across Margeux’s face as she sat up in her seat. “It’s a pretty simple one, just boosts your energy for a couple of hours, and I’ve got a pretty good bargain for you, honestly, for one vial—“

“Marge.” Roger looked over at the fae sternly. “You don’t need her potions. They’re over priced and not even worth it.”

“They are worth every penny!” She fought. “How dare you insult my work?”

A bell rang downstairs. “Looks like you have a visitor Margeux. I didn’t know you’d already opened.” Dillon laughed.

Margeux’s eyes narrowed as she stood. “I haven’t.” She brushed off her skirt, dark eyes shimmering as she made her way to the staircase. “Stay here.”

The room was silent, save for Margeux’s shoes clicking down the stairs and coming to a halt at the bottom. The group listened carefully for any sign of distress, but was met with nothing but silence.

Lexi looked between the three in front of her nervously, expecting them to know something that she couldn’t tell herself. Roger was the first to stand. “Dillon.”

Dillon stood behind him, nodding. “Sven stay with Lexi.”

She jumped to her feet. “What’s going on? I don’t hear anything.”

“She’s never that quiet. And someone else is in this building besides us. I can feel them.” Roger looked between the two still seated. “Stay here. I mean it.”

The silence was unbearable as the two made their way down the staircase behind Margeux. “Can you tell what’s going on?”

Sven said nothing in response, only remained focus on the silence filling the room. She could tell he could hear what she couldn’t.

“Sven…” She looked at him carefully, her deep blue eyes a mixture of concern, fear, and curiosity. “Tell me what’s going on.”

He sighed deeply. “Whether I tell you or not, you’ll go down there.”

She smiled sadly. “You’ve gotten to know me pretty well in the past few days.”

His smile matched hers. “Just stay by my side, okay? There’s a fight.”

Something inside her knew that “fight” was an understatement as they headed to the staircase. She still didn’t hear anything, but she knew something was happening. Halfway down the staircase all she could see was the back wall of the hallway, and the silence continued. Sven hit the bottom just as she did, and sound exploded around her.

She turned to face the noise, finding that the world had changed in her vision. Picture frames were stuck on their way to falling from the walls in mid air. The light above them had swung halfway on its cord before getting stuck leaning sideways, never reaching the center again. Time was frozen there.

A crash from the lobby tore her from her thoughts. She lifted her foot to run, but found that moving was much more difficult than she’d imagine. “Lexi?” Sven didn’t seem to have trouble at all walking a few steps ahead of her. “Take my hand.” He held it out to her, face still conflicted with the idea of taking her into the havoc before them.

Her hand moved slowly to meet his, she used all of her power to make it so. As their hands touched, the strength in her body came back and she ran, dragging Sven along behind her.

The three were handling the same person, but each with a separate copy of him. She’d never seen the man before. His hair was down his back in a low black ponytail his eyes were the color of ice, and his smile was as just as cold. His ears were long and pointed. He was an elf.

“Lexi!” Dillon noticed her as he dodged the elf’s broad sword. “Sven get her out of here!”

The man smiled and stepped back, just as his clones did, dodging whatever attacks came their way. “There she is.” They spoke in unison, voices coming in surround sound to Lexi as she stared at them. “Come with us little changeling. We came to take you home.”