Status: Hiatus~

Those Ocean Eyes

Less Than Strangers

A few minutes after I told my sister to come over, she hung up.

I set off to pick up my flat. It wasn't atrocious, but there was no way I'd allow any guest to come over.

I turned on my telly to "Doctor Who." I had been there for every episode since the premiere in 2005. Eight years later, I was as dedicated as ever. I enjoyed the new episodes, don't get me wrong, but my heart belonged to the tenth doctor. The gorgeous and always entertaining Mister David Tennant. There were very few men who tickled my fancy, like he managed.

Within about thirty-five minutes, my flat was spotless. I changed out of my gym clothes and into something a bit more comfortable.

My phone chimed, letting me know that I had a text. It was from Amaya.

From Amaya!: Bringing the boys! Drew doesn't know yet, be there in about an hour. Love you sis!

I let out a squeal of excitement. "I get to see my baby!" I hollered, dancing around my apartment to silence.

I walked briskly to the kitchen and started pulling out ingredients to make Fettuccine Alfredo. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and sent my younger sister a text back.

To Amaya!: Can't wait! I miss my babies! Be a doll and grab Cesar salad?

I stood in the kitchen contemplating what to have for dessert.

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted by my doorbell buzzing. Confusion crossed my face as I walked the short distance from my kitchen to the front door.

I peeked though the peep hole and felt my cheeks flush. I opened the door to be greeted by a crooked smile below a pair of ocean colored eyes.

A smile automatically appeared on my face. "Hey neighbor," I grinned.

His smile became even more lopsided, "Hey."

I took a step away from the door and gestured for him to come in. He nodded in thanks and slid past, keeping a distance from the door frame so he could rest a hand on my hip. I gave him a light shove before shutting and locking my door once again.

I made my way to the kitchen, him following not to far around.

"I like how you've decorated," he complimented. I hid my face and blushed.

I could hear him inhaling deeply. "Fettuccine Alfredo," I admitted, facing him.

His eyebrows rose for a moment before he commented, "So that means you're expecting company, huh? Well, I uh- I should probably go."

He began to walk away, only to have me jump in front of him and place both of my hands on his chest. His breath hitched for a moment, but he quickly relaxed into my touch.

"My sister and her family are coming over," I began, "You're more than welcome to stay for dinner, Noah," I finished, removing my hands from his chest.

We stayed silent for a moment, looking into the other's eyes. Finally, after a couple minutes passed, he replied. And his answer brought a monstrous grin to my face.

I grabbed his hand and dragged him to the kitchen. I made my way over to the oven and stirred the sauce.

I could hear Noah opening up cabinets and drawers, searching for silverware, plates, and glasses.

"How many people will be here?" Noah asked, a hint of nervousness in his slightly rough accent.

"Including us, there will be five. But my nephew is two," A warm look spread across my face.

"How long has it been?" He cautiously asked.

I let out a sigh. "Almost eight months," I confessed.

He nodded his head in understatement. "You're obviously close with them, why go so long without seeing them?"

Tears formed in my eyes as I debated about how much I could bear to talk about. "I got out of this total shit relationship seven months ago. I- I just lost it. I vanished for six months and I haven't been able to face her." I whispered, a few tears leaving my eyes.

I heard footsteps crossing the kitchen, and within mere seconds, felt arms around me. I willingly returned the gesture, not letting go. Noah wrapped his arms tighter around me.

I took in a deep breath to steady my crying. The aroma that filled my nostrils could only be described as something uniquely Noah.

He drew small circles in my back and stroked my hair. He encouraged me to cry, let it all out.

I pulled away for a moment. He looked at me with hurt and confusion.

"I keep forgetting that we're strangers," I grumbled.

"He's a fucking idiot, I mean it Amelia," he concluded.

I went to fix my make-up while Noah offered to finish dinner. I accepted his offer with a hug and a thankful smile.

While in the process of wiping the mascara from my cheeks, I heard my doorbell chime and I sprung from my bathroom to the front door. I threw it open and wrapped my arms around my sister.

She let out a squeal before kissing my cheeks. We held each other at arms length, taking a good look at the other. Our reunion was cut short when I heard the pitter-patter of small feet.

I threw my arms out wide as a beautiful little boy ran into my arms. I showered his little face with kisses, causing giggles to erupt for his body. I scooped him up and showed Amaya and Niall into my apartment.

They walked close behind, eyes memorizing the new art I bought. When our short walk to the kitchen was through, I was shocked to find Noah wearing my apron and placing canned blueberries onto a cheesecake. Amaya eyeballed me happily while Niall grinned at the food.

"Amaya, Niall, Andrew, this is my neighbor Noah. Noah," I paused, capturing his eyes before glancing down, "this is my family."
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all like it! Sorry it took me ages, I waned to make sure I actually had some substance before I updated.

Let me just say, thank you to my 49 readers, 12 subscribers, and 3 recommendations! It really does mean the world to me.

I never thought that I would have a story that would be so popular and liked :) Any suggestions, recommendations, or comments would be much appriciated!

Thanks everyone!!! <3
Stay safe ~
xx marissa