Status: ON HOLD

Blue Eyes Don't Lie

No One Has To Understand

Run fast if you can
No one has to understand
Fly high across the sky from
Here to kingdom come
Fall back down to where you're from

~ The Civil Wars

_________________________

The sun had already started its descend when Hayden left the school. It was completely gone and replaced by the moon when she was sitting in her car outside her best friend's apartment building. After looking at her wrist watch for the fifth time since arriving, there was finally a sign of life when a brunette exited the building and hurried towards the waiting car. When she was close enough, Hayden rolled down the car window.

"How come you're always late? Always?"

"FYI, I'm not always late. Not when it's something important," Karen defended herself as she buckled up and leaned back in her seat. Rolling her eyes, Hayden started the car and started driving towards the bar.

"You mean: not when there's a chance of hot guys."

Pretending to be offended, Karen refused to talk the her for the rest of the ride and hadn't even looked at her by they walked inside the bar and sat down in a booth. Deciding to 'get back' in Karen's good graces, Hayden approached the subject that her best friend could barely shut up about.

"I hope you don't have anything planned for tomorrow night."

This caught Karen's attention and drew her eyes away from one of the many tv's hanging on the wall of the bar. "Why?"

"'Cause I happen to have two tickets to the Pens game tomorrow."

The half squeal-half gasp that Karen let out made the patrons closest to them look over. Neither of the women minded them and Hayden kept her gaze on the brunette, who'd risen out of her seat and was leaning over the table, her face only inches from Hayden's.

"What?! It's the first game in the regular season! It's been sold out since they were released practically! Where the hell did you get them?!"

When Karen's voice took on a higher and higher pitch, Hayden grabbed her shoulders and pushed her back into her seat. By now Karen was almost hyperventilating and Hayden was starting to re-think her decision of bringing her there to break the news.
__________________

The entire city of Pittsburgh seemed to have a buzz for the entire day of the seasons first home game. Hayden hadn't been very affected by it yet though, since she'd never even left her apartment. At the moment, she was standing in front of the medium sized wardrobe in her bedroom, wearing only one towel around her body and one around her head. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but there was something that made her go through the extra effort of carefully thinking about what to wear.

In the end she chose a thick- but not too thick- black long-sleeved shirt, dark blue jeans and a pair of dark brown riding boots. Hayden didn't think she'd be cold, after all she had been there before and she doubted that she would sit calmly in her seat.

Once again Hayden was the one to drive and Karen couldn't seem to stop bouncing in her seat. She was still wondering how Hayden had managed to get tickets, but for once in her life Karen decided to be patient about something. Something told her that she would get some answers soon anyway. Again she smoothed her hands over the jersey she was wearing.

"So you managed to make up your mind then?" Hayden had glanced over before returning her eyes to the road, but she had seen the big shirt covering the brunette's small frame.

"Yeah, and you have no idea how hard it was." Karen told her. Though Hayden did know. About an hour before she was due to pick her up, she'd gotten a call from a frantic Karen who couldn't seem to chose which player's jersey to wear.

Keeping her attention on the road, Hayden decided to stay silent, knowing that otherwise Karen would tell her all about the players and the pros and cons of wearing their jerseys.
____________

It seemed as if the entire city of Pittsburgh had decided to join the festivities of the seasons first hockey game. It seemed to be practically impossible to find a parking spot, but Hayden managed to squeeze into one just as some guy in a Mercedes was about to. Which Karen found appropriate to rub in his face.

"Haha! What'cha gonna do now?!" She repeated this a couple of time and also included a small victory dance. The guy drove off, of course, but Karen kept pointing after him until the car was out of sight. Hayden rolled her eyes at her and grabbed the sleeve of her shirt, pulling her towards the entrance of the arena. Then she let go and walked over to Will-Call. As Jordan'd said, the tickets were waiting for her but she was also handed a bag, which Karen ripped out of her hand.

"What's this?" She tried to open it, but Hayden snatched it back.

"My name, my bag," she pointed to where 'Hayden Mallory' was scrawled in a boyish handwriting. Reaching inside, her fingers met a cool fabric, grabbed it and pulled out a jersey. Karen's eyes widened and she took a few steps closer as if to get a better look at it.

"Whose is it?"

Handing the empty bag to her friend, Hayden grabbed the shirt with both hands and shook it out. It was huge and would probably reach to around her lower thighs. Turning it around, her eyes fell on the number 11 and the printed letters of 'Staal above it.

Not bad, Staalsy. It's probably game worn as well, Hayden thought, a smile playing on her lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
For the games I will do my best to follow the 2010-2011 Pens season, at least when I write them like I will do in the next chapter.

On a completely different note; I'm so proud of Gabriel Landeskog! He won 'Rookie of the year' at the Swedish Sports Gala yesterday.

Title credit: The Civil Wars - Kingdom Come.