Status: ON HOLD

Blue Eyes Don't Lie

Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Hit me with your best shot
Why don't you hit me with your best shot
Hit me with your best shot
Fire away

~ Pat Benatar

___________________________

Jordan was standing to my left, close enough to touch, and when I looked up at him he grinned, making the dimple in his chin even more prominent. I rolled my eyes and returned my attention to Karen, effectively ignoring him. But I didn't like the smirk she'd been sporting since Jordan made his presence known.

"Wow, Staalsy. She doesn't seem too happy to see your face!" Someone laughed to my left and with the accent it wasn't hard to recognize the voice.

"Hello, Marc-André. How are you?"

Just 'cause I wasn't feeling like talking to Jordan, didn't mean that I could just ignore Flower.

"I'm great!" He answered and walked over to Karen's side of the booth and sat down, forcing me to share a seat with Jordan. While Karen and Flower even had some room over on their bench, we didn't. The forward was much wider across the chest and shoulders than the lanky Flower, and I would definitely have appreciated it if it wasn't Jordan.

"So," Flower continued, "what are we doing?"

"We were just about to eat our dinner," I told him. Ignoring Jordan might be harder now that I was between him and the wall, but that didn't mean that I wouldn't try.

"Great! We'll join you then," Flower grinned and motioned for our waitress to come back and take their orders. Jordan had been surprisingly quiet since I first ignored him, and to tell you the truth, it made me slightly uneasy. Either he had picked up on that I didn't want to interact with him, or he was hurt by me ignoring him. I hope it was the first one.

There was quite some tension on this side of the table as both Jordan and I sat quietly, me eating my food and him waiting for his. Karen and Marc tried start some kind of conversation between all of us, but I was determined not to join.

I know that me ignoring Jordan is most likely making me seem like a bitch, but try to look at it from my point of view. I was reluctant to go on a twenty minute lunch 'date' with him in the first place, we had fun and all but still, and he flirted with me. And then I don't hear from him until now that he shows up during my dinner. So really, I was pretty much ignored first.
I know what you're saying, that how could he call me if I never gave him my number? Well, it never stopped him in the first place, did it?
__________________

The rest of the dinner was just as awkward as the beginning, only Karen and Marc stopped trying to get us to talk. When our waitress finally came back with the note, Jordan grabbed it without a word. I hadn't known him for very long at all, but I knew that he was too stubborn to let Karen, or me for that part, talk him out of paying.

This time I gave him a nod and quickly meet his eyes, before looking away again. I actually have some manners. I just don't always use them.

When Karen and Flower basically ran out the door, only carrying their jackets in their hurry, I kinda knew something was going to happen. With my back facing Jordan, I took my time putting on my own jacket and grabbing my bag before trying to speed walk my way past Jordan. Which, of course, didn't succeed.

"You're just gonna keep ignoring me?" He asked as he wrapped a giant hand around my wrist. Jordan barely put any pressure on his hold but the touch was enough to stop me in my tracks.

"What makes you think I'm ignoring you?" It was one of those questions that you ask instead of trying to explain yourself. Sometimes they work but now I just wanted to face-palm myself for some reason.

Because of Jordan's slack grip, I freed my arm and continued towards the door with his much heavier footsteps following.

"You've got to be kidding me, Hayden."

I turned around, halfway to my car where both Karen and Marc were waiting, and looked at Jordan's face for only the second time that day. "What do you want me to say, Jordan? Want me to deny it? Or what?"

Jordan sighed and looked irritated. "I want a reason. Did I do something?"

Now I started walking again, but continued to talk to him over my shoulder. "Why don't you just ask yourself that question, Jordan? I mean, it's not like you didn't ignore me in the first place."

"Oh come on! It's not like I don't have other things to do that are more important."

Okay, ouch. What the hell? If he looked to get me to stop walking, that definitely did the job and also made me do one thing typical for upset women. No, I didn't slap him. I wish I did now that I look back.

I spun around and hit him, in the face, with my purse. And I mean that I hit him as much as I could, holding the strap as a baseball bat and using my spin to gather a little more force.

He looked about as shocked as I felt. I could even hear Karen's small gasp of surprise together with Flower's laugh. Jordan and I stood there, staring at eachother, until I once again spun around and got into my car without another word.

What the fuck just happened?
_________________________

Karen tried to talk to me as I drove her home but I just kept my mouth shut. In the end she only sighed and fiddled with the radio until we were outside her apartment building. Karen then shut off the radio and turned in her seat to face me.

"I know you don't wanna talk about this, but keep this in mind: you don't really know the guy, Hayd. Give him an honest to God chance before you judge him."

After giving me a quick smile she left the car and walked towards the building. I waited until she was inside before driving off again. She was right. I knew she was and she knew that I knew she was right. They may have been far between, but Karen had her moments of wisdom every once in a while.

So I decided that I was going to give Jordan a chance, even if I had to wait for him to call since I didn't have his number and didn't feel comfortable hounding Duper for it.

Hopefully he hasn't written me off as a hopeless cause just yet, but who knows? I don't, since I've never been hit in the face with a purse.

When I walked through the front door Kit seemed to pick up on my still quite neutral mood, and decided that something had to me done. Which meant that she shot out from underneath the couch and put her claws in my shin.

"Ow, son-of-a-bitch!"

Even after I successfully removed the feline from my leg, she still wouldn't leave me alone for some reason. I was so close to bringing her to the apartment a few floors above mine where our resident cat-lady, Mrs. Anderson, lived with her ten-plus cats, and just leaving her there as a gift. I would have if Kit wasn't my mother's newest baby.

I had to be happy with only glaring at the cat while my eyes teared from the stinging in my shin. To my slight satisfaction, Kit returned to her spot underneath my couch, but I don't think her reason was because my glare was so scary.

"Yeah, you better stay there before I really give you to Mrs. Anderson," I continued to mutter insults underneath my breath as I made my way to my room to change out of my day-clothes. And to take care of my attacked leg.
_________________________

Just like the last time I saw Jordan, days passed without me hearing from him but I guess he actually had a reason now. And just like last time I had conflicted emotions concerning this. On top of that, I haven't sat on my couch for days since I'm scared that Kit will jump me again.

Now that I think about it, my life was pretty pathetic around that time.

Okay, really pathetic.

I have no idea what was going through my head. It's not like I'd never lived without Jordan Staal before. And since when have I been scared of that she-devil?

Karen claims that 'something inside me' changed when I met Jordan, while I'm guessing I've attracted some kind of virus that affects my brain. That makes Karen glower and tell me that I don't have a romantic bone in my body, something that isn't true. I have plenty of romantic bones, they just aren't made out of cheese like hers.

Anyway, I couldn't care less about what Jordan Staal does with his life.

Right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar.