Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 11: Love Is A Beautiful Thing

"I want something more than just the secret acknowledgments, Forrest. I've never felt this way before. I've never wanted to be with a man the way that I want to be with you." I let the words spill out.

"A life with me ain't gon be easy Babette." He stared at me intensely his head slightly inclined. "I want you to know what you're gettin' yourself into."

"I heard some things... People talk." I said a little embarrassed. "I've seen how it can get, but I don't think it's as bad as what I've witnessed in New York." I stopped myself, feeling the lump rise in my throat.

I cleared my throat, standing a little taller, raising my chin. "I know what's to be expected. When I'm near you none of it matters."

"What your brothers think 'bout this?" He asked. No doubt by my hesitation he already knew the answer.

"My brothers know that I'm capable of making my own choices." I defended myself.

He gave a deep low chuckle. "You know that's not what I meant." Giving me a look so intense- that I felt He could see right through me.

I shifted, lookin anywhere else but his stormy eyes. "It really isn't any of their business. If I'm making a mistake at this moment- then it's my mistake. Do you think I'm making a mistake, Forrest?" He never answered my question. He just stood in front of me waiting for me to come to the decision on my own. I looked up at him through my lashes. I stepped closer to him standing on my toes. Reaching my hand up to cradle his cheek. Slowly inching closer to his pouty lips. I kissed him softly waiting for his response. He gently placed one hand on the back of my neck deepening our kiss. Breaking the kiss I rested my forehead on his chin. Silence all around us as if we were in a bubble. Taking in our special moment together.

"I'm fallin' for you Forrest." I whispered. His arms wrapping around my waist showing me he felt the same. We stood that way for some time, but was quickly interrupted by the voice of my cousin. Our moment was ruined when we heard Angie calling my name. I sighed stepping away from Forrest. Turning away from him I headed back to the front of the diner in search of my cousin with extremely bad timing.

Angie was standing on the porch with Howard most likely bickering like children. "All that screechin' I think I've gon deaf Ang!" Howard said holding his ears as if he were in pain.

"Hush up Howard. Did Baps come 'round?" He snickered nodding my way as I came up the stairs. "Where'd you just come from? And why do you look so flustered?" I gave her a tight smile hoping she would read my expression and stop talking. Glancing to my left I saw Forrest walking towards his shed. Our eyes meeting for a second before I gave my attention back to Angie. I felt the heat rush to my cheeks. Angie never missing a thing stared at me wide-eyed ready to shoot off at that mouth.

Before she could get a word out I pulled her down the stairs. "I think it's time we head home to help your mama with dinner Ang. Hey Howard, tell Jack we'll see him tomorrow!" I yelled back at him.

"Jeez Baps what's gotten into ya. You better spill your guts Babette Darmody- or we won't make it home! I seen that look you gave to forrest. Now talk." A wicked grin stretching across her face.

"Promise not to mention anything about this in front of my pop and my brothers?" I begged.

She squealed with joy gripping my shoulders. "Tell me tell me!!!

"It's not that big a deal Ang. I just had a talk with Forrest..... I told him how I felt and I think he feels the same." I shrugged.

Her mouth opened wide as if she were going to yell. She surprised me by whispering. "So what exactly does this mean? Are you two together?" I nod. "You're Forrest' girlfriend?" She narrowed her eyes at me. I nodded again. Angie stood shocked and surprised with her mouth open wide.

"Before you talk my ear off I just need to say this. I am beggin' ya Ang please- please don't even think about what I just said here, in front of everyone at home, okay? I mean it. If they need to know about it- I'll be the one to say it. Just wanna tell 'em on my own time." Angie promised. The walk home was filled with Angie's obsessive questions for details.

We reached the front yard of our house in time to see my brothers getting in the car. "Where are you boys headed?" I asked.

"Pop is making us run some errands before dinner." Richie answered. We waved them off and headed inside. Aunt Gillian seemed really busy in the kitchen as she always did. She made sure dinner was somewhat special for our little family. She gave us the task of peeling the potatoes. There were times when I caught myself smiling at nothing at all. Thinking about my kiss with Forrest.

"I know that look." Aunt Gillian smiled at me. She placed the dinner plates and silverware on the table. "It was the same look your mama had when she met your daddy." I blushed.

"Is it that obvious?" I embarrassedly asked.

"To us women it is. We see love, we feel love, it's a wonderful thing." She chuckled shaking her head. "It takes the men a while to figure it out. They can never really read through the lines. Love sure is a beautiful thing once you get a hold on it. Especially young love."

"Aunt Gillian, you ever love somebody... that your daddy didn't approve of?" I muttered. Glancing at Angie who stopped peeling to give us her full attention.

She scoffed. "Sweetie, all daddies disapprove of their little girls choices in men, because to our daddies, no one is ever good enough for their lil girl. Your Grandpa, godbless his soul, did not approve of my husband. Neither did he approve of your daddy."

"Did he ever accept them?" I asked nervously.

"Eventually he came around. When he seen how happy they made me and your mama. It's not an easy journey. You can't help who you fall in love with. Even if your daddy or BROTHERS can't understand why." She said with a raised eyebrow and a small smirk. "You are a beautiful young woman Babette. The choices you make now are only going to get more difficult, but these choices have to be made for your own happiness. You can't keep trying to make your brothers happy because it'll only make you unhappy."

I smiled at my aunt. Noticing the similarities between her and my mom. "They'll probably disown me for this one." I laughed without humor.

"Oh Hun. Sure they might be mad at first, but you're family. Those bonds are stronger than anything." Aunt Gillian assured me.

"Mama how come you ain't never have a heart to heart like this, with me?" Angie spoke with a tinge of jealousy. I stifled a giggle.

Aunt Gillian laughed. "Sweetheart you don't sit 'round long enough for me to talk to you. You're always with Bertha or your other friends. But I know that when you really need my advice, I'll be the first one you come to. You are your mama's daughter after all." She giggled. "You girls go wash up. I'll finish the rest."

Aunt Gillian's words stuck with me. I knew that it would be a tough journey to reach a middle ground with my brothers. In my heart Forrest is worth the fight. I wish there was a way to make both sides happy, but when it comes to love it's never that easy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks everyone for reading!!! Hope you enjoy this chapter. :-)