Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 12: When It Rains....

Summer was filled with highs and lows. Jack taught me and Angie how to drive. Franklin county gained a ruthless special deputy. My relationship with Forrest- which was still hidden from my brothers- was blossoming. The Bondurant brothers had a lurking enemy. Although Angie and Howard were always at each others throats, underneath it all was a spark waiting to ignite.

The weather was getting colder. We were well into November. Angie and I would still take trips to Blackwater Station especially since driving was a new skill. Jack spent a lot more time with Bertha nowadays. We even became good friends with Maggie.

I drove to the grocery store in town with aunt Gillian. She would offer me advice of how to deal with my brothers. Aunt Gillian stocked up on food and supplies, in case of an emergency. While she made her way around the store- I roamed aimlessly through the aisles. I was caught up in my thoughts of me and Forrest spending more time together, that I didn't see the man standing to my left. I did a double take. A sickening feeling in my stomach. The look that he gave me was even more disgusting up close.

"I saw you at the Bondurant place." I said nothing. Repulsed by his presence. "You're not from around here. New York, right?" I said nothing again. I quickly glanced around the store in search of my aunt, who was by the counter ringing up the groceries.

I sidestepped only for the deputy to block my attempt of getting away. "Something troubling you?"

"Get out of my way." I said through gritted teeth.

He scoffed. "Oh, you don't need to worry about me. I like my women a lil less fragile with a lot more experience." He said, making the bile rise in my throat. He stepped aside clearing my path to walk away. I wrapped my arms around myself. Aunt Gillian was just about done. Out of the corner of my eye I could still see him looking at me.

"Do you lovely ladies need help with those?" He asked. I scowled at him while my aunt offered a polite smile.

I spoke up. "No, I think we can manage." Not hiding any of the animosity in my voice.

"Mind your manners Babette!" Aunt Gillian scolded. "We would appreciate your help deputy." As he reached for the bag on the counter he came very close to my neck.

The deputy inhaled, "Mmmm, just like roses." I jerked away, storming out towards the car. I placed the bags in the car and waited for aunt Gillian to get in. "You ladies have a good day."

"Thanks again deputy. You have a good day as well." Aunt Gillian said as she walked to the drivers side. I was just about to open the passenger side door when the deputy grabbed my hand. He stroked my knuckles until I snatched my hand away. He flashed a devilish grin.

"Looking forward to seeing you again." He stated low enough just so I could hear. I jumped in the car slamming my door shut.

"You alright, sweetheart?" My aunt asked.

"Y-yea I'm ok. It just slipped my mind that I was suppose to meet up with Jack and Bertha." I told her. This deputy was going to be big trouble. His no nonsense demeanor and careless ways proved that.

"Oh, well I can drop you off at the station if you like. I can always tell your pop and brothers to help me with the groceries." She offered.

"You sure aunt Gillian?" She smiled and nodded.

"Yea, it's no problem." She assured me. She dropped me off at the station. Jack was out with Cricket on one of their daily quests. Maggie was behind the counter attending to two men I've never seen before.

She smiled when she noticed me. "Hey Babette, Forrest is in his office." Even though everyone here knew about me and Forrest, I still blushed.

"Thanks. Did my cousin stop by today?" I asked. She paused as if she were trying to remember something.

"Uhhhh, yes she did. Howard drove her to Bertha's not so long ago." I laughed at the mention of Angie and Howard together.

"Those two were bound to happen, weren't they?" I said making Maggie giggle. "I'll let you get to work." I said as another customer walked into the diner. I made my way towards Forrest' office. His door was open so I just walked in. "Hi Forrest."

He took his eyes off his logbook. A small smirk appeared on his face. He stood up from his seat standing in front of me. He wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me in for a kiss. I hugged him tighter. I exhaled releasing the tension that was built up. Being in Forrest' presence made me worry less about some things.

____________________________________________________

Time at the station went by fast. Cricket had returned to the station some time after I did, alone. He said Jack wanted to stop by Bertha's. Angie was at Bertha's as well. Said she would come pick me up so we could go home together. I was contemplating on telling Forrest about my encounter with the deputy earlier today. Truthfully I feared what his reaction would be. Suddenly cricket rushed into the office. He frantically told us what had happened. The two men that were sitting at the bar for most of the day were causing trouble for Maggie.

"Alright now! That's enough! Go on, get out of here!" Forrest' voice rose causing the two men to turn and look at him.

"I paid for another jar, and she won't give it. Then the bitch done me." Forrest looks at Maggie and she shakes here head.

"No, you didn't." Forrest stated.

"We gotta buy a hundred gallon of your liquor. Now you ain't gonna throw in some extra?" The man said sounding insulted.

"You ain't buyin' a Goddamn thing. Now, go on, get out of here." Cricket steps closer to Forrest whispering in his ear. I couldn't tell exactly what he said, but I did hear something about a gun.

"Did you pull a gun on this woman?" Forrest points at Maggie taking a step closer to the men. Suddenly the thug throws a punch at Forrest who pounds on him, knocking him out.

"Forrest!" Me and Maggie screamed at the same time. The other thug then goes for Forrest, they start fighting. I see Cricket grab the gun on the floor and sit on the thug Forrest knocked out cold. Pointing the gun right at his face.

"I may be a cripple boy, you sack of shit! But I'll Goddamn blow your brains out if you move!" Cricket yelled. I rushed over to Maggie. We both held each other trying to comfort one another. After Forrest knocked out the other thug he threw their out cold bodies right out the diner.

"Goddamn you, Howard!" Forrest said as he stalked back into his office. I was a bit confused as to why he said Howard's name, but I decided not to ask. Angie showed up a few minutes after to take me home.

"What happened hear!" Angie gasped. I left her talking to Maggie while I went to check on Forrest.

"Are you ok?" I asked. He grunted.

"You got something you need to say to me?" His question made my heart stop. It was almost as if he knew about earlier.

"Why do you ask?" I laughed nervously. He stared at me as if he could read every thought in my head. I swayed from side to side, picking a spot on the floor to stare at. He gave a heavy sigh.

"You're not very good at hiding things. You seem nervous. Scared even." I looked up at him completely shocked at how well he could read me. "Tell me what's troublin' ya." He demanded.

I nibbled on my lip not sure how I should start. He inclined his head, his gaze intensifying. "I, umm, I-I went shopping with my aunt in town today..." I paused. Looking down at my hands I continued. "I seen Deputy Rakes."

Forrest rose from his chair stepping closer to me. "He do anything to you?" I shook my head. Not able to look him in his stormy eyes. "I'm gon' ask you again and I want an answer. He do anything to you?" The tone of his voice gave me chills.

"H-he didn't do anything I swear. He said he saw me here at the station before.... and that he knew that I was from New York." My eyes began to water. I was afraid of what Forrest would do if he ever came face to face with the deputy. "The last thing he said to me before I left was that, he was looking forward to seeing me again." The stoic look on his face made my heart pound in my chest. "It's not a big deal, Forrest. Just leave it alone." I closed the gap between us. Placing my hand on his face. "Please, just leave it alone." I searched his eyes for anything that would hint that my words got through to him.

"I'll drive ya home." He stated.

"You don't need to Forrest. Angie brought my pop's car. I'll be ok." I reassured him. He gazed at me saying nothing. A low growl rose in his chest. I kissed him. Wished him a good night with a promise of seeing him tomorrow.

It started to snow as we left the station. Angie drove slow towards home. It was eerily quiet. I started with some small talk to break the eerie silence. "Soooo, I heard Howard drove you to Bertha's this afternoon." I snickered.

"Yea he did and NOTHING happened!" She nearly yelled making me laugh. "He said he was driving that way and offered a ride. He was being a gentlemen for once." We continued talking.

"Shoot!" Angie said.

"What? What's wrong?" I asked. A confused look crossing my face.

"I forgot to drop off the jam mama made for Maggie." She said as she pulled to the side of the rode. "Would you be mad if I went back? B'sides... you get to see Forrest again." She wagged her eyebrows.

"Fine lets go before this snow gets worse." I sighed. We drove back to the station. We were not prepared for what was waiting when we got back....