Status: I hope you like it. It's my first story so if you have any advice for me please feel free to share

Babette's Story

Chapter 15: Express Yourself

Everything felt as if it were in slow motion as i walked into the hospital. I looked up in time to see an angry Howard stepping out of a room. He paused when he noticed me. Slowly closing the distance between us. I held my breath waiting for the news I was about to receive.

"I-is h-he...?" Was all I could get out.

Howard stared at me with glassy eyes. I didn't know if it was because of the alcohol he consumed or if he was taking what happened to Forrest pretty bad. "He's alive..." I released the breath I held. I lifted my trembling hands to my chest. "He's awake but can't really speak. Doctor says we shouldn't try to make 'em either. Yea... Umm Jack's inside with 'em. I'm just gonna head back to the station with Danny." With that Howard's heavy footsteps stomped pass me and out the hospital doors.

I took a moment to compose myself before stepping into Forrest' room. I lightly knocked on the door. My eyes quickly searching for the middle Bondurant. He laid in the hospital bed looking deathly pale. A blood stained bandage across his throat covered his horrible injury. Jack' eyes shifted from me to Forrest.

"Uh-um well I'll come by tomorrow. Check up on ya Forrest." Jack said then turned his attention on me. "See ya later Baps." He gave a nod as he walked out of the room closing the door behind him. I stood motionless as I took in Forrest' deathly appearance. My eyes filled with tears. I took very small steps closer to Forrest. His eyes locked on mine the entire time.

"Stop cryin'" His voice was low and raspy when he spoke.

"Look what they've done to you Forrest." I spoke softly.

"C'mere Babette." He demanded. I hesitantly stepped closer to him. I sat down on the edge of his hospital bed taking his hand in mine. "You don't have to worry too much about me. Alright?"

"How can you say that? You're lying here with your throat slit open. Looking very close to death." I paused taking a jagged breath. "You could have died Forrest. Does that not mean anything to you? Maybe this is a sign... Maybe it's just life's way of saying to slow down a bit." Tears streamed down my face.

"This is the life that I live." He grumbled. "Warned you about being with me." He stared intensely into my hazel eyes. I looked down at our intertwined hands and nodded.

I had almost forgot about his warning. I guess I didn't comprehend the extent of his words. He told me our relationship wouldn't be easy, but I never thought a near death experience was part of that warning. "I know. I guess I didn't realize how difficult it could get." I scoffed. "Do you remember what happened?"

He thought about it for a moment before responding. "Not much. Doctor told Jack I walked here." His croaked with his raspy deep voice. I stared at him in disbelief because he had absolutely no idea that Maggie, Angie, and I brought him there. He would never know that we did.

I smirked a little. "Another legend for the indestructible Forrest Bondurant." My sarcastic tone evident. I gazed around his plain hospital room before my eyes set back on his. "So this is the life of woman in the Bondurant brothers world... I don't know if my heart can take another loss." New tears filled my eyes. His eyebrows furrowed at my words.

"What'chu saying?" Forrest grunted. I stood up from the hospital bed and started pacing the small room. I had every intention on leaving Forrest and never setting foot on Blackwater station again. But being here with him completely erased that thought from my mind. It doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. My heart yearns for Forrest Bondurant.

I ran my hands through my disheveled hair. "I-I-I don't know what I'm saying. I'm torn between doing what makes sense and following what my heart desires. I'm constantly arguing with Richie about you and your brothers. He wants to keep me away... but my heart can't bear staying away. He doesn't see what I see. H-he doesn't know what I know. He doesn't want to see it and I know that because you two are sorta alike." I stop pacing long enough to take a deep breath. "You both don't react we'll to your family being threatened. You both act as if I can be easily broken-"

"'Cause we love you." He mumbled. I looked to Forrest with wide eyes not sure if I heard him correctly.

"We?" I asked. My voice thick from the sob held in my throat. He gave a nod and said nothing else. I wiped away the tear that fell quickly and laughed halfheartedly. "You love me Forrest?" The intensity in his eyes as he looked at me spoke volumes. I cautiously walked to him. I couldn't believe what came out of this man's mouth. He reached for my hand stoking it with his thumb. Placing my left hand lightly on his cheek I inched closer to him until our lips met. His once soft pink lips were slightly chapped and pale, but the kiss was just as good. I touched my forehead with his breaking from our kiss. Letting out a shaky breath.

I whispered, "I love you Forrest Bondurant." I've never been more certain about anything in my life. I love Forrest and nothing my brothers or my pop says will change that.

"I need you to stay close until we know where these men are." I sighed sitting back down on the bed. "Give me some comfort knowing you not in any harm." The door opened and in walked Maggie in a beautiful green dress that complemented her pale skin. She had a suitcase with her. She gave me a tight smile, then looked over at Forrest. The sight of him making her gasp. She walks closer to Forrest's bed opposite me and looks at him for a moment.

"I'm leaving, Forrest." She says solemnly. I whip my head to look up at her.

"Uh... The bar ain't really the quiet life you were lookin' for, huh?" He grumbled.

Her eyes shifted to mine for a split second and then back to Forrest'. "It's the people, Forrest. People like them, they're why I left Chicago. I cut out and ran." I stood up from Forrest' bed giving them their space to talk.

"Come here, Maggie." Maggie walks up closer and sits next to Forrest on his bed.

"Now, this has nothin' to do with you either. Nothin' at all." Forrest assured her. "Did you check out of that place yet?" Maggie nods her head as tears roll down her face. "I want you to come stay at the station for a while. With those guys still around you best off close to us. We don't wanna see you gettin' hurt. You can uh...you can use the spare room." She looks to me as if she wanted me to answer for her. I smile and nod. Maggie has become a good friend to me and I wouldn't want to see her leave. She wipes the tears from her face and smiles at Forrest.

"Okay." She says. "I'll just take my belongings to the station then."

"Babette, I think you should go on home too." Forrest said to me. He looked tired and he probably didn't want to admit it to either of us.

"I really don't mind staying Forrest" he shook his head. I knew there was no point in arguing about it.

"I'm alright. I'll be home before you know it." Maggie said goodbye to Forrest and walked out the door. I followed after her when Forrest' voice stopped me. "Babette." I turned back lingering by the door. "Stay close." The side of my lips twitched.

I walked over to Forrest once more. Grabbing the side of his face and kissing him passionately before pulling away. I stared into his eyes, "Always" I said softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda short I know but I will try and make the next chapter longer.

thanks to all the new subscribers!!! I really hope you guys are enjoying my story it will definitely be more eventful in the next chapters to come